Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey all,

So, I'm going to be replacing the water pump and thermostat this week. I have a rule, however, and I would like some help.

Anytime I have to do something boring like replacing a broken part, or doing major preventative maintenance, I tend to lump in something fun as to not lose faith in the reason I continue a toy project. For example, I replaced both exhaust manifolds and hardware with all new equipment and for fun installed a Super 50 Series Flowmaster. Also, the rack needs to be replaced soon, but it's okay for now as I have like-new Nitto Ridge Grapplers on the XK and want to wait a bit to replace the rack when they are a bit wore and I'm ready for a superlift.

Therefore, what are some options under the hood while I'll be in there anyway? Intake? Superchip? Any idea is welcomed.

2006 XK 4.7L V8 -- 170,630 on the clock.

Thanks so much

·
Registered
417 Posts
Intake or better yet, snorkel!

A nice LED light under the hood would be an improvement. Make sure you get the Chip-on-board style to really spread the light.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Okay, been getting my ass kicked at the office and time is a major issue for me as of late. Still haven't tackled this yet, but have been cranking the XK to just let it run for a half minute or so as I'm not driving it. Cranked it to take the trash up to the street yesterday and the belt is beginning to make noise and I can hear what sounds like massive water sloshing from under the hood from inside the cabin. The hell?

Should I risk driving the thing the 15 miles to my dads shop to do the work? Really don't want to spend $100 on a tow if I don't have to. Thoughts?

Also, I see two different part numbers for the same part. Can someone confirm the part number for the water pump for a 2006 XK 4.7L V8? Thanks so much! Sick of dorks pulling out in front of me all the time driving the Lexus to the office every day. Need to be back sitting high and in Command of the road!

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Okay, got this job done just over a week ago and finally getting the time to update.

REALLY simple job to do and I've literally never worked on my own vehicles before outside of oil changes, 60k service stuff and replacing a radiator in a Camry 15 years ago.

One minor snag though. Somehow a tiny hole was poked perfectly in the radiator so when I was filling the truck back up, it started pouring on the floor. NO IDEA how the hell that happened as I didn't touch the thing and it was literally a pin prick in the perfect spot to cause this leak. Really strange... Anyway, no biggie and it gave me an excuse to replace it and all the hoses which I needed to do anyway.

Trying to upload pics from imgur, but not having luck...

·
Registered
96 Posts
I'm hoping you replaced the fan clutch when you replaced the water pump.

They have about the same useful service life, and it's an easy job to do at the same time.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm hoping you replaced the fan clutch when you replaced the water pump.

They have about the same useful service life, and it's an easy job to do at the same time.
Sure didn't, ha! Had no idea. I'll do it the next time I change the oil. Thanks for the post.

Anyone have any idea why I can't add photos? I must be doing something wrong. Best way to do it? Want to share as much as possible for reference. Thanks so much

·
Registered
104 Posts
Interesting post, just got mine and plan on dumping current coolant replacing thermostat and hoses if appear needed. What's the life span on water pump and clutch fan? My 07 with 4.7 has just over 100k currently. Thanks!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Do you happen to have a link to replacing the water pump? Having trouble with trying to find/replace mine. But I have an 08' 5.7 on my Commander. Thanks in advance.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts