Jeep Commander Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Stupid question.

I waxed my Jeep for the first time.
Anyway, I got some wax on the rubber/plastic items. Such as on the black strip on the bottom, running the length of the Jeep. Or the rubber around the windows. Or on the black part of the rack. Or....well you get my drift.

So I'm looking for something that can remove this wax, but not harm the black parts nor harm my paint.

BTW, how does someone wax this thing, without touching the non-metal parts?

Thanks

Tom
5.7 Limited

·
Registered
476 Posts
Tom,

I ran into the same problem... and YES...impossible to wax without getting anything on the black palstic trim. I used McGuire's Next Gen wax..after wrapping up the metal I took a small foot scrub brush to the plastic.. that seemd to remove pretty much all of the wax from the plastic.

Good Luck - Chad

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
thdbusch said:
BTW, how does someone wax this thing, without touching the non-metal parts?
Mask off the black plastic parts with blue painter's tape. I have heard that peanut butter (yes, I know... this sounds odd) and a firm toothbrush can remove the wax off the trim. Or try a Mr. Clean MagicEraser.

·
Registered
45 Posts
rubicontrail.net said:
Mask off the black plastic parts with blue painter's tape. I have heard that peanut butter (yes, I know... this sounds odd) and a firm toothbrush can remove the wax off the trim. Or try a Mr. Clean MagicEraser.
Both of what he said will work very well. Just make sure that you use the smooth kind and not the cruchy! ;)

·
Registered
476 Posts
Hey guys ...thanks for the tips. Why the hell would I not think of using masking tape?? Seems pretty obvious!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Next time you wax, try the new Turtle Wax ice. Forget all that you know about Turtle Wax, this stuff is awesome. Little pricey at first, but I waxed my truck and the commnader and only used like an 8th of the bottle. PLUS, you can wax the black plastic with it and it will make it shine. NO WHITE RESIDUE. And it comes off easy and leaves it slick, makes the water bead nicely.

·
Registered
46 Posts
get durashine. you can put it on anything. it is not a wax but works better than any wax. and you can do the whole car in 40 minutes. nothing sticks when it is on. cheap too. about 15.00 for the shine and wash. get it on the net. you just wipe it on wait 30 minutes and wash it off and you are done for a year.

·
Registered
3 Posts
For those waxing accidents on trim, give Mothers Back to Black a try. Awesome product to clean up the "oops" during a thorough wax job. Also brings the trim back to life if fading.

Griz

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
When you use ICe what do you use to remove bugs? Tried it on my wife's car and liked it, just does not clean bugs or grime like wax

·
Registered
717 Posts
Well I waxed the Commander for the first time today....What a huge vehicle!! It was much easier to wax my WJ...phew!! :D

·
Registered
39 Posts
I am used to cleaning my previous Wranglers with Mothers back to black. Worked great on the fender flares and bumper end caps.
It cleans and shines black nicely.
I have also switched to the "ICE" spray wax. I just don't have the energy to use paste wax anymore.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Back to black makes the parts look ok for about a week or so. After that, they go back to looking exactly like they did.

Best thing I've found to clean off the residue is dawn dish soap in some water, and a toothbrush.

That, or I use McGuires NXT. Like TW Ice, it does not discolor the plastic parts.

·
Registered
717 Posts
I'm old school.....Been using Mothers California Gold for years...Still works great

·
Registered
717 Posts
Well if I have it in me to do it myself again I'll have to give that a try

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
LOL

The new tech waxes really do come off much much much easier, and they protect better as well. I think you've still got it in you, maybe for your June waxjob.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I got my 3rd coat of zaino down this week.
No issues with the black plastic.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts