Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Disclaimer: this is my first post with pics so I apologize if I make a mess ;-)

I bought the weathertech digital fit mats… I give them an 8 out of ten rating and recommend them to anyone who wished they could have gotten their limited vehicle with rubber mats.

The mat for the middle seat is designed to fit a vehicle that does not have a DvD player in it. I didn’t want to cut out a chunk of my fairly expensive new mat so this it what I did instead:

The DvD player can be removed by just pulling hard. The bottom is hinged so pull firmly from the top half. I opened the lid and applied pressure with my right hand while pulling from the side with my left. I was conscious and careful not to break the lid off. Here are some picks of the mounts, may they add comfort to the act of yanking your car apart ;-):

This is the hinge at the bottom:

What holds it in place:

Full shot of the back of the DvD in case anyone was wondering:

Wiring harness map (I wonder if I can splice in RCA jacks for my iPhone here so I can hide the wires???):

Back to the mat…
I used a pair of diagonal cutters and put one ½ inch slice that runs right along with the plastic molding on both sides; snip snip:

I then tucked the rubber inside the DvD molding as I remounted it. This is the outcome:

that's all! Not gold, but hey, thought I would post my little project ;-)

·
Premium Member
12,578 Posts
Nice job, Thanks for sharing your project.

·
Premium Member
2,629 Posts
Great project and thanks for sharing. I have to admit that at the first glance of your post title I was scratching my head. I looked at it as I do the usual "vs" titled post, thinking it was comparing one product to another. That said, I was not sure how to compare floor mats to a DVD player....I had a little laugh at myself after reading the first post.

·
2,248 Posts
Good Job. Using the connector code on the back of the DVD you can easily find the correct pins on the wiring connector to slide small female crimp on connectors for your IPoD audio inputs. From the top connector diagram it looks like pin 9 is for the right audio, pin 2 is for ground, and pin 3 is for the left audio channel. It looks like these are inputs and not outputs. The easiest way to check is to use a small speaker and see if you get an output from pin 12 and 11. If not then is is most probably inputs. You can make up a connector by taking one end off a RCA cable and using small female crimp connectors to connect at the DVD connector. The middle wire is signal and the outer sheild is the ground. Sorry if this sounds like I am being too basic with the instructions. Just trying to help.

Check out this thread, It will show you how to make up the RCA connectors. It is for a different use, but the connectors are the same.

http://www.jeepcommander.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8734&page=2

Check out this thread also:

http://www.jeepcommander.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8466&page=2

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
HueyPilot,
I think I will give it a try... I've been noodling on your post a bit...

Trying to repeat what you wrote in my own words with my own flavor:
Cut the 9, 3, and 2 wires
Cut the two ends off an RCA extension cable leaving about 3-5 inches of wire on each side.
Female end goes to the Radio; Male to the DvD
Shielding of each wire is bound and crimped to the 2 wire (that's the shielding of both the red and the white go to the 2?)
Then then the inner Red goes to 9 and inner white to 3

Giving this us:
(dots preserve spacing)

R....W
| \ / |
|..|..|

I gotta write all this cause the two shieldings going to one ground doesn't make a lot of since to me (Ima newb) and I was just wanting to make sure I was understanding right.

If this is the case then...
I can rig this up on both sides (radio female and DVD male)
test with a splitter... if the sound quality gets compromised then I can easily remove it but having this setup I can always plug the DvD player back in...

Lemme know if I missed something here.
I got some research and reading to do.

Thanks!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts