Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend and I are going to be running Webster Pass. My wife wants to invite one her friends who recently picked up a Commander. I haven't seen this XK so I have no idea if it has QDII or what, but I'm going to assume it's stock and street tires. My big concerns are does a stock commander have enough clearance to run this trail and are there recovery points on all Commanders should a tug be required? Also, what kind of armor is under the XKs in the event it does scrape a rock? Basically I don't want to ruin this guy's new Jeep by taking him on a trail.

So our rigs.... I have a stock TJ Rubicon running all-terrain tires. i will probably air down for comfort but I don't expect to need 4x4 on this trail. My buddy I think will be taking his 2002 Grand (WJ?) that has been lifted to fit 32" all terrains. I don't know what drive system he has, but he has low range and open diffs. I'm sure he'll be in 4 low. I expect him to not have any trouble at all.

And finally, the trail... http://www.traildamage.com/trails/index.php?id=50

It rates between a 3 and a 4 on traildamage.

This is probably the worst part of the trail because the mud can get bad/

So is anyone with a commander familiar with Webster pass? Can a Commander run it? FYI; we will probably NOT run up the switchbacks, if they're even open.

·
Registered
117 Posts
If that picture is the worst part I think he would be fine even in a QT1 XK (No 4lo, might just take some work to get through some spots..)

There is no way of knowing what armor he has or doesn't have, they were optional packages so without looking at it no way of knowing. (Or VIN number build lookup I guess)

If he has the skid plate package, it will have a front diff/suspension skid, transfer case, and gas tank skid.

Tow hooks up front also seem to be hit and miss, if he has them, they are plenty strong for recovery (personal experience), on the rear I believe XK's without a factory tow hitch came with a recovery hook but I don't have personal experience with that since I just use my hitch.

I'm not at all familiar with Webster Pass, but if he has QD2 other than ground clearance he'll do better than the open diffed Grand as long as his tires aren't bald. I made it through some pretty nasty nasty stuff with just a 2" lift and stock tires with QD2.

·
Premium Member
12,578 Posts
I have not run this trail but I would be willing to take a stock XK on it based on the trail damage discription and photo.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the input guys. I figure the XK will have no issue, but the ones I've always looked at when I wanted to buy were QDII equiped XKs so I don't really know what anything less might have. If he comes with, I'll snap some pics of the XK, maybe some video, and post it up.

·
Premium Member
2,337 Posts
I've done Webster pass with the TrailDamage crew (I'm a member) and you'll have no problems in a stock XK. Enjoy the run, wish I could do it with you!

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've done Webster pass with the TrailDamage crew (I'm a member) and you'll have no problems in a stock XK. Enjoy the run, wish I could do it with you!
Did you run Red Cone while you were here? I'd like a Commander, but always wondered if one would be capable enough for my tastes. I'm excited for them coming with.

·
Premium Member
2,337 Posts
No, I didn't do Red Cone, but its doable by a stock XK as well. If those are the types of runs you're doing, the stock XK will be fine. If you can find one with QDII, then you'll have front & rear ELSDs, which would be a plus up there.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts