Jeep Commander Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I'm new here. A month and a half ago we got our commander, Limited, with Hemi and QuadraTrac 2. Overall, it's an awesome truck. Just one issue with it. When pushing in the throttle to maintain speed or accelerate, there is a weird sound that is somewhat similar to gas leaking from the exhaust, but that's only when the car is at speed and the tranny is in D. Is this sound normal or is there a problem? Is it due to MDS operation or the 4X4 system? Are there any "normal" sounds I should expect from MDS or 4X4 that I would not see in a car? Or should I assume any different sound is caused by a problem? I'm relatively knowledgeable about cars but this is our first SUV and I'm not very experienced about them, or MDS for that matter.

And I've got a couple of minor questions. Regarding the factory warranty, can I do oil changes myself or should I have it done by a certified mechanic during warranty period? Also, does anyone know any offroading sites near Toronto,Canada? I can't seem to find any.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Hey Scorpion.... welcome to the SUV and Jeep World! Although not new to the SUV world the Commander is my first Jeep product. The JC is indeed an awsom machine. The combination of the Hemi and Quad-Trk 2 afford you the capabilty to trek where other SUV's only dream to.

Now for the sound issue: The only weird sound I can hear from mine is when I really hit the gas and open the Hemi up... I hear a sort of winding sound and have determined that this is either the tranny or the Hemi... not sure which. On the other hand I have had a few issues with the JC...one being the torque converter litterly dropping out of place with about 800 miles on it. I go back to the DS on Thursday to have several other issues looked into ... one of which is the throttle response and the fact that the machine seems very sluggish at times and I also experiance a sort of mild jolt while driving.

At anyrate...if you feel the noise should not be there... have your DS check it out..afterall, you paid good money for this machine!

·
Registered
125 Posts
Scorpion-

When I first began my search for a new vehicle I looked at the Durango (these were the older durangos). In my research I found many stories about owners of Durangos having horrible problems with engines blowing up. Now the reason the dealers was saying it was improperly maintained and the oil was not changed caused the sludge in the engine and that is why it blew up. Since that was there reasoning they would not honor the warranty and the owner was sol. So if the owner did not have every single receipt of when the oil was changed and sometimes when they did they still would not honor the warranty. The only people I found that they honored the warranty was a man that had his durango serviced at a dealer everytime. Granted a Durango is not a commander but it is a chrysler product and if chrysler did not want to back the Durango they may not want to back the Commander if something like that should happen. So just in case to cover my butt I have the oil changed by a dealer until my warranty goes out.

As far as the noise I have no idea. I do not hear that with my commander.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts