Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a weird ticking noise that sounds like it's coming from or around the PCV Valve. Was wondering if anyone else has had this problem or might know where I should be looking. I have a 5.7L. Thank you for any help/input.

·
Registered
206 Posts
If it happens when you startup and goes away after a bit or quiets down a bit when the engine warms up, the tick is caused from broken exhaust manifold bolts - a somewhat regular problem on the 5.7 and 4.7 Chrysler engines. Some Hemi engines are also known to tick at idle - just google Hemi Tick for hundreds of references to this. Also some Hemi engines are known for dropping valve seats and sometimes these tick for a while before coming loose and dropping out. A loose valve seat will usually make noise when the engine is hot. Could also be just a lifter issue.

Dan

·
Registered
49 Posts
Have same thing before engine is warm. Did 2 bottles of Seafoam tonight and saw SMOKE coming out of exhaust manifold on cylinder 8 for sure. Thx bdalameda for confirming and calming me of the situation. I will Just turn the stereo up until ether have the $ or time (most likely) to fix problem. Am I doing harm until I wait as long as I am not getting codes???

·
Registered
206 Posts
Have same thing before engine is warm. Did 2 bottles of Seafoam tonight and saw SMOKE coming out of exhaust manifold on cylinder 8 for sure. Thx bdalameda for confirming and calming me of the situation. I will Just turn the stereo up until ether have the $ or time (most likely) to fix problem. Am I doing harm until I wait as long as I am not getting codes???
If it ticks when cold and has broken exhaust manifold bolts if you wait to fix it it really won't hurt anything but eventually will probably get worse over time. The smoke you speak of is probably from the Seafoam as it is made of mineral spirits with some mineral oil added to it.

Dan

1 - 4 of 4 Posts