Jeep Commander Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Commander is an 06 5.7 with the QDII.

I have recently noticed a weird vibration noise from the engine or just from the Jeep, it seems as if something was off balance, almost similar to a torque shudder.

It will happen randomly at any speed, sounds and feels like a driveline vibration, but sometimes I get it in Park or Neutral. My friend suggested it a Torque Converter but are there any tests I could do to figure out if it really is that?

I need some ideas, before I take it to the dealer and they keep it hostage for days..
Any help would be great...

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I know this may sound like a stupid question, but since we have electric fans in our vehicles, does this fan accelerate when we rev our engines? Because for some reason, that is what it sounds like, I hear acceleration of blowing air, only when the fan is on. I'm just trying to shoot ideas that I think might be the case, I have been trying to get all that dirt out of the engine bay, just to make sure that that can't be the issue..

·
Premium Member
2,628 Posts
Well not sure how this would be related but when you go through deep mud which I think you did recently (from a different post) the radiator will get packed with mud and is hard to get clean. If the electric fan was on when you went into the mud or water it could have broken one of the fan blades. If the radiator is jammed up with mud it would cause the electric fan to come on and if there is a broken blade it would cause vibration. The electric fan doesn't spin when the engine is running at normal temps. If the mud or water was deep enough to reach the mechanical fan it could have broken the clutch. Check the electric fan blades for breaks or packed mud and check to make sure there is no wobble in the mechanical fan.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok so I did what you said and it has been a day or so and there is no vibration, I will give it a few more days then if it comes back I will take it to the dealer.. Thanks..

·
Registered
2 Posts
Electric Cooling Fan

Just wanted to let you know that my 2007 Jeep Commander had a vibration like that. And it was the electric cooling fans that were messed up. The dealer replaced them. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just wanted to let you know that my 2007 Jeep Commander had a vibration like that. And it was the electric cooling fans that were messed up. The dealer replaced them. Hope this helps.
Thank you SOOO Much for that, I am leaning more towards that everyday, I haven't been able to take it to the dealer but is it true that the electric cooling fans RPM spin faster when I rev the engine? Did that happen to you as well?

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I would like to say I have the BEST JEEP DEALER, they are all really cool at the dealership. Many of them are into off roading and fixing up cars and everything else.

Long Story Short I took it in and they worked on it for a day or two and they found that it was my fan like most of you guys told me. So they basically took a pressure washer to the fan and whala! Shes purring like a little kitten again..
Thanks Guys

·
Registered
521 Posts
After reading this post, the uneasy feeling in my stomach is starting to dissipate. I went offroading this weekend and made my way into some deeper mud, but also did a lot of scraping and dragging. My engine has been shuddering and vibrating at lower speeds and in idle, but goes away and comes back at points. I thought at first it was simply the fan (it kind of wobbles when the car is shaking) but then I feared for something worse. I am going to power wash some of the elements out tonight and see where it gets me.

Whew…. Crossing my fingers

·
Registered
487 Posts
a metallic sounding vibration/ rattle at 1000 rpm to 1500rpm ( in the CRD) is the bracket wlded to the CAT that holds the rear cooling pipework. the weld breaks an it vibrates, when it gets hot.

took dealership a few weeks to find that one!!

·
Registered
423 Posts
Well I am getting the same shudder/ vibration now. It's been a week since I went offroading and I am just now really starting to notice the problem. I can feel the shake through the steering wheel and immediately after I shut off the car it gives one last shudder?

Also my suspension is getting really squeaky to the point its annoying. I'm thinking it's time to replace the spring isolators on the rear.

·
Registered
1 Posts
After reading this post, the uneasy feeling in my stomach is starting to dissipate. I went offroading this weekend and made my way into some deeper mud, but also did a lot of scraping and dragging. My engine has been shuddering and vibrating at lower speeds and in idle, but goes away and comes back at points. I thought at first it was simply the fan (it kind of wobbles when the car is shaking) but then I feared for something worse. I am going to power wash some of the elements out tonight and see where it gets me.

Whew…. Crossing my fingers
Hey i know this is old but found it through google and yall saved my butt. The road washed out during a storm and i drove my car through a big mud pit and it was scrapping the bottom and sounded like it hit a couple things, so when i started hearing the vibrations i immediately started thinking i messed up my vehicle. Searched online what could be the culprit and found this post at 1st result on goog and tried it. She's bad in full swing! Thanks everyone

1 - 12 of 12 Posts