Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know I havent posted a lot but we traded in our Commander. The fuel milage on the vehicle was killing us. When you drive 90 miles a day that not the right vehicle to have. Oh well it's been fun. Enjoy your vehicles guys

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
Thanks. Good luck with your new vehicle.

·
Registered
588 Posts
If I had to commute 90 miles a day I think I would go with a second hand very light vehicle with a reputation for durability (like maybe a Honda Civic) and keep my Commander for personal and trip usage. I dont think any vehicle that gets exceptional mileage is gonna be a vehicle one would be comfortable with on a trip or useful for bring the Christmas tree home. john

·
Premium Member
2,262 Posts
Its sad to see anyone go, but, for every Commander that is turned back in, that's one more great deal out there for someone else!

·
Registered
230 Posts
It is true though, I would never use the Commander as a daily commuter, I would have to purchase a secondary car as a back-up. I have a Pontic G6 for when I run around and have to drive any distance when there is only myself or one other person. Nice to have a back-up vehicle at times.

·
Premium Member
2,337 Posts
That's why I'm moving closer to the train, that way I can leave the Commander parked and for weekend use only.

·
Registered
5,598 Posts
I do not think will ever save money trading a vehicle for gas mileage.
You would be ahead to buy another vehicle than to take the loss.

Mine is a daily driver and I drive about 50 miles a day, to and from work.

250miles week/15 mpg 17 gal. 17x3per gal $51 week. x 50 weeks 2550 a year in gas. If I double my mileage, save half the gas, that is $1,275 a year. or 6300 over 5 years. I bet you lose more than 6300 in the trade. His case, $1850 a year. And that's if you double the gas mileage.

·
Premium Member
12,559 Posts
That's why my Commander has less than 3,000 miles and I purchased a 92 Accord.

I am also buying the 2008 Smart as soon as the dealer get mine in. The reservation process takes about 8 to 10 months.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
a49erFootballFan said:

I am also buying the 2008 Smart as soon as the dealer get mine in. The reservation process takes about 8 to 10 months.

Those are funny little cars... saw them in Europe a decade ago, finally were at the Arizona auto show this year with the price list.

Personally, I wish you could get the Mini Cooper D in the US... it gets like 60mpg. :-(

Right now, due to my failed pre-cats and old O2 sensors my Cherokee actually gets WORSE gas mileage than my HEMI-powered Commander. Hopefully that will change this week when I get the new pre-cats and O2 sensors installed.

·
Premium Member
12,559 Posts
They do get better milage over the pond but some of that is due to the imperial gallon.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
a49erFootballFan said:
They do get better milage over the pond but some of that is due to the imperial gallon.
Yeah the Mini Cooper D gets something like 72mpg or 74mpg in imperial gallons.

I would love the 60mpg US gallons of the Cooper D to actually be available here in the US.

·
Registered
5,598 Posts
Imperial (UK) gallon is legally defined as 4.54609 litres (~277.42 cu in), which is about 1.2 U.S. liquid gallons. ...I had to look this up so I would understand the difference....source: Wikipedia.

·
Registered
451 Posts
I'm sad to see anyone go and agree with the fact it is near impossible to justify trading a vehicle for gas miliage. Anyway Good luck and Let us know what you end up with......

·
Registered
577 Posts
sorry to see you go... but keep checking in with us and our gas guzzlers!
-Hemi

·
Registered
577 Posts
a49erFootballFan said:

49er - our similarities keep surprising me!... we have a '91 Accord that is our commuter/ run-the-miles up car !!
I have to ask, what color is your Honda?
-Hemi

·
Premium Member
12,559 Posts
HEMI said:
49er - our similarities keep surprising me!... we have a '91 Accord that is our commuter/ run-the-miles up car !!
I have to ask, what color is your Honda?
-Hemi
The Honda is burgandy! I also have a red PT Cruiser and my 55 Willy to go along with my Commander.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I've also got "extra" rides including my new Eos which clocks around 30 MPG. My Commander is for skiing, pulling my boat, the household mule and driving in the mountains. Otherwise, it sits and waits for my command. Don't get me wrong, I love my Jeep. It's just not my beater. In March, it will be 2 years old with around just under 6,000 miles on the clock.

A lot of folks probably have trouble funding multiple rides. Depreciation and insurance add up fast with extra vehicles. With today's gas prices, Commanders are not a good choice for an everyday beater IF the mileage bothers you.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts