Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
After my son fell out of the Jeep trying to climb in, the wonderful Mrs. Noise reminded me it was time for step rails. Since this is my first post here, I figured I would give back for all the great info I have gotten with a how to on these rails.

The rails are Black Westin 72" Oval Tubes 22-5055 and the separate mounting kit 22-6145 specific to the Jeep Commander purchased from Amazon.com. (yay free shipping)

On to the step by step:

Tools needed:
13mm open end wrench
13mm socket
impact driver with socket attachment
11mm socket
Razor knife, Leatherman, SOG tool etc.
music and beverage of choice
1. Unbox and verify

2. Under your jeep at the front and rear near the tires you will see double holes by the pinch weld and above and closer to the center of the jeep a rectangular hole with an adjacent round hole. These are the spots where you will be bolting the rail mounts in place.

by the pinch weld

above and towards the center of the Jeep.

3. With the rail mounting kit there are 4 of this clip on nuts. these slide into the rectangular hole and clip into the adjacent round hole.

4. On the driver side and rear passenger (font passenger is different) bolt your brackets in place. The bottom pinch weld bolts are inerted from the outside of the jeep facing in. The bolts are inserted from the street side, layered outside in with a flat washer, the pinch weld, the step bracket, a flat washer, a lock washer and then the nut. The top bolts are inserted from the inside of the jeep and layered lock washer, flat washer, step bracket, clip on nut. Repeat this for each step mount.

5. The front passenger side mpounts up exactly the same as step 4. HOWEVER you have to remove a heat shield. This plastic shield covers the A/C lines back to the rear passenger cool/heat unit. To remove it, using a mini impact wrench and a 13mm socket, drop the 4 bolts and cut the 2 tie wraps (if they are still there), pull down on the back then pull towards the rear of the jeep to slip off completely.

6. install bracket as in step 4 and replace heat shield by reversing step 5.

continued next post...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Continued...

7. After cleaning up all the misc. nuts and washers from the mounting kit install, open the rails box and remove 4 of the 8 mounting plates. Insert them into the underside cavity of the step rail by passing one side of screws adjacent to the 90 degree angle bend in the top sheet metal, then rotating the other side in also.

Finnally while holding the rails cavity side down slide the bolt ends out of the rail cavity resting the teo 90 Degree bends on either side of the cavity opening.

8. Lay the step rails on the mounts with the bolts from the two mounting plates through the 4 holes in each mounting rail. Place a black washer then nylon lock nut on the frist bolt. using the 11mm socket and the impact driver, ALMOST tighten the nuts in place and check for the proper alignment. (I lined up the rail's front end cap the the rear motor mount cross brace behind the driver side wheel) Then tighten all 8 nuts.
Repeat for the other side of the commander.

Finished Product:

·
Super Moderator
14,912 Posts
Nice write-up. Thanks for posting it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Nice write up..:thumbsup:.. it was too cold for me to take pictures (-20`C) when I put mine on.

Even lifted I find they stick out toooooo far. I have 4 rugrats that get loaded and unloaded and once the lift went on; they were still left with a high step...

going to cut the mounts, reweld and gusset them so they are down and under rocker panels some.. more of a step then and not a platform like now...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Westin Pontoons....

They are very pontoon like. Pity Aries could not get the order right. (first set was for a Kia, second set were the wrong bars and right mounting kit, third try was wrong bars and wrong mounting kit) I gave up.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Yeah mine were a bit of a PITA to get rounded up too... ordered bars, they arrived... no mounts.. called supplier.... "oh they don't come with the mounts..." GRRRR... order mounts.... 3 months later finally got everything on.... blah..

·
Registered
87 Posts
nice job, looks good. anyone looked into power steps for the commander? that would solve the pontoon problem. ive seen the power step bars for about a grand. im looking for the single steps tho

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Power Steps

I looked into them but there we a couple of gotcha's for me.
1. modification to the undercarriage to mount.
2. they hung low on the sides when tucked in (don't want to scrape)
As for the pontoon issue - I took another look at it this morning in the rain from front on and the actually seem to sit nicely at 1/2 the mirror width. I'll grab a front on pic at some point.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts