Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys, I currently have the stock running boards on my vehicle, which means I don't have the small pinch weld molding on my vehicle, as this is removed when installing running boards. So, what are my options for side protection that will replace or cover where the black molding would normally be? Are there any?

·
Premium Member
12,559 Posts
You might have to get the new 4XGuard ones and then have a sheet metal plate attached to hide the unsightly portion if it can still be seen.

·
Registered
288 Posts
I just removed the plastic covers on mine. I kinda like the way it looks without it. But I am waiting on 4XGuard to come out with the XK version.

·
Administrator
15,241 Posts
Ok guys, I currently have the stock running boards on my vehicle, which means I don't have the small pinch weld molding on my vehicle, as this is removed when installing running boards. So, what are my options for side protection that will replace or cover where the black molding would normally be? Are there any?
No options if you want to keep the runnning boards.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Dont want to keep the running boards, that's the issue. However, I don't have the normal molding that would be on them, because of having the running boards. The 4xguards would be an option, but not the way they currently look. Can't do the don't look like they're for the vehicle look.

·
Administrator
15,241 Posts

·
Registered
419 Posts
The 4xguards would be an option, but not the way they currently look. Can't do the don't look like they're for the vehicle look.
In case you've not been following the thread: 4xGuard has XK-specific Side Guards in the production queue.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Where in this thread does it say 4xguard is making XK specific rock rails? Did I miss something? That's great news though, as they make nice products! Time frame?

·
Registered
419 Posts
a49erfan refers to them, but I was meaning the Side Guard thread. Should've been more specific. My bad.

As discussed there, the timeframe is soon. I'm only a guinea pig for such things, but my understanding is it'll be this spring.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
And these will fit and cover the area that the normal molding would cover, correct? Next, will Supersliders work in conjunction with these?

·
Registered
419 Posts
The 4xGuard XK Side Guards will be just like those for the WK except that they'll hug the contours of the Commander and thus not have the "gaps" next to the body on the front and rear ends that you get when you run the WK version on an XK. In other words, they completely replace the OEM moldings with a metal slider/guard that has the added bonus of increasing your breakover angle and functioning as a usable step.

I've honestly never tried to fit Supersliders with Side Guards, and I don't know anyone who has, but I would think you could do that since Rocky Road's mounts are so far below 4xG's. I guess I'm not sure what the point of that set-up would be, though. If you mount Side Guards there's no reason to get Supersliders -- and vice-versa.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Actually, now that I think about it I'm really unsure about theoretically mounting both Supersliders and the Side Guards. I was envisioning Rocky Road's Rockrails in my head (which seem possible to mount with Side Guards). No clue on the Supersliders, which I think angle up further along the body and might intrude into the space where 4xG's product would be.

Still don't know why a person would double-up, but there you go.

·
Administrator
15,241 Posts
I think that since you can mount the Supersliders with the oem rocker covers that you would be able to do it with the 4XGuard rock rails since they just replace the oem. El Cid, the purpose of using the Supersliders is they give the side of the vehicle more protection because they stick out from the vehicle. My question would be why use both the the 4XGuard rock rails and the Supersliders when you could use the oem rocker covers and the Supersliders. There is no point in using the 4XGuards with the Supersliders because the Supersliders will be protecting the same area.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The only reason I ask is, we all know how ungodly expensive the most simple things are with the dealer. As I don't have the basic molding at the bottom of my vehicle, due to the fact I will be removing my running boards, I need something. I really wasn't sure if it would be just as cheap to put the 4xguards on, as opposed to buying the stock molding. I haven't priced it yet, but know that most aftermarket products and actual up-grades are many times less expensive than buying a stock product. Once again, I haven't checked yet, so I'm really not sure, just guessing.

·
Registered
419 Posts
I think that since you can mount the Supersliders with the oem rocker covers that you would be able to do it with the 4XGuard rock rails since they just replace the oem. El Cid, the purpose of using the Supersliders is they give the side of the vehicle more protection because they stick out from the vehicle. My question would be why use both the the 4XGuard rock rails and the Supersliders when you could use the oem rocker covers and the Supersliders. There is no point in using the 4XGuards with the Supersliders because the Supersliders will be protecting the same area.
Not sure if you're intending to correct me here or not, jeep5253. I never questioned the use of Supersliders by themselves. I questioned mounting both Supersliders and Side Guards. We're in total agreement regarding the fact that it would be odd to do so. That's what I said (or was trying to say, anyway).

Use the Supersliders and there's no reason to use Side Guards.

Use the Side Guards and there's no reason to use Supersliders.

They mount different (the 4xG design doesn't reduce the breakover angle the way RR's does because it goes to the frame), but the products are designed to do exactly same thing: protect that long side of the vehicle.

Since I think it'd be a bit odd to have both, it probably doesn't matter, but ... I'm still not sure that a person could mount both the 4xG Side Guards and the RR Supersliders. Yes, the Supersliders mount the same way that RR's Rockrails do (that is, below where the Side Guards do), but they also have an additional top-side tube that may push into the space where the Side Guard would be. Remember: the Side Guard replaces the OEM cover but actually sticks out further from the body horizontally than the OEM cover does. Indeed, judging from pictures I'd guess that the Side Guards stick out further than both Rocky Road products.

Actually, that'd be really interesting to find out. Anyone listening in here have either Rocky Road's Supersliders or Rockrails? If so, could you provide a measurement at some identifiable point: how far away from the body does the Rocky Road product extend? I'm really curious now!

·
Registered
419 Posts
Crossposted with you, firedude. The OEM covers aren't that expensive. In fact, I think I have a cover for one of the sides (driver? I'd need to check) I could send your way. You'd only need to buy one! I think they're like $40.

·
Administrator
15,241 Posts
Use the Side Guards and there's no reason to use Supersliders.
This is where we disagree. The Supersliders stick out from the vehicle and thus protect the side of the vehicle whereas the Side Guards only protect the rocker area.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I didn't realize there was that much of a price difference. $40 bucks isn't bad at all. I also didn't realize that the 4xguards were $100 more than the supersliders. I do think the supersliders would give you a little more protection, as they do stick out further. Although, I'm sure this might be a disadvantage to some that want as much clearance as possible. The 4xguards do look like quality products though, and I'm still going to get some skids in the near future. Thanks for all the help guys.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Just to answer my own question, the lower body molding is $65 a side or $130 total. I guess at this point it would still be cheaper to go with the 4xguard, as opposed to buying the molding and going with supersliders. I don't really need any more protection, just wish the 4xguards were a little less pricey, but I wish that on about everything.

·
Registered
419 Posts
I just found some great pictures of the Supersliders on Phunkeydude's XK here on the site (are there bad pictures of his rig?), and you're right: they're much wider than RR's rockrails, which are all that I've ever seen in person. So the 'sliders do stick out more than the Side Guards.

There are pros and cons to everything, of course, and no one should tell anyone else what to do with his/her vehicle. So speaking only personally, I'll say that I'm happy to sacrifice that bit of extra falling-on-my-side protection for the extra clearance provided by the Side Guards. I tend to crawl over things more often than I crash over into them. :)

Firedude, let me know if you do get serious about the Supersliders and the OEM covers -- I'll check and see if I do have that extra cover (and which side it is) to save you some money.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts