Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
There is a plug with a bunch of wires under the front passenger seat. Does anybody know what that's for? Also, under the second row, there is a sort of an electrical box that looks like you can plug extra components in. Does anybody know what that is also? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
Hi all,
There is a plug with a bunch of wires under the front passenger seat. Does anybody know what that's for? Also, under the second row, there is a sort of an electrical box that looks like you can plug extra components in. Does anybody know what that is also? Thanks.
I would have to guess that the plug and wires under the passenger seat has something to do with the air bag. The electrical box under the second row should be the computer for the 4x4. Cant remember the exact name of it.

·
Super Moderator
15,101 Posts
Hi all,
There is a plug with a bunch of wires under the front passenger seat. Does anybody know what that's for?
Could be for the heated seat option. Or power seat option.

·
Super Moderator
15,101 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,559 Posts
Lots of possibilities, pictures would help narrow the options.

·
Registered
862 Posts
If you have either a powered passenger seat, or an occupant classification seat, that's the harness for it. The occupant classification seat weights the passenger for a three stage airbag deployment. (Off, soft, medium, hard)

The box under the passenger rear is the satellite radio receiver. The other side is a body computer.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
here are some pics of what I'm talkin' bout'

Attachments

·
Premium Member
12,559 Posts
here are some pics of what I'm talkin' bout'

I have a "Limited" and the yellow plug appears to be the seat warmers.

I do not have the second black box installed in my Commander so it must be an option which I do not have.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
I have a "Limited" and the yellow plug appears to be the seat warmers.

I do not have the second black box installed in my Commander so it must be an option which I do not have.
I think that second picture is the 4WD control/Final Drive control module. If so, then you definately have one. Its located under the second row seating.

·
Premium Member
12,559 Posts
I think that second picture is the 4WD control/Final Drive control module. If so, then you definately have one. Its located under the second row seating.
Well I have nothing in the slot shown in his photo, I might have it someplace else but I would not think they install them in multiple locations.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
Well I have nothing in the slot shown in his photo, I might have it someplace else but I would not think they install them in multiple locations.
Hmmmm, maybe thats not what it is then.

·
Premium Member
12,559 Posts
The one under the second row RH seat is the sirius radio box
I don't think so. The Sirius box is on the other side and you can tell because of the antenna connection.

·
Premium Member
2,629 Posts
I think I read somewhere that the sirius receiver for the integrated satellite radio is located in the compartment under the rear seat. Not sure but I think that is what it is.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Hi All,
Thanks for the responses. I guess my real question is, Is there a wire I can tap for power in those places? I need to put a video amplifier there and I need power. I rather do the least amount of wiring as possible, so I just thought maybe I could use one of those wires. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
12,559 Posts
I would be careful tapping the wires UNTIL you know what they power. You would hate to lose an important safety feature becuase you blew a fuse due to an aftermarket installation. If all else fails stop by your dealer and ask what the boxes control and then of course let us all know too.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Is there a part number printed on the module that you could look up? That may give you a better idea of what you're splicing into. I would also love to learn that there was a power source under there, or at least a trigger for another relay! What did you use to power your rear monitors?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Okay, sorry for the late response. I finally have time to get back to this project. I don't have seat warmers, so the yellow plug under the passenger seat is not that. As for the box under the second row, It may be Sirius Satellite, I had a subscription, but I let it expire cause I don't use it that much. I am currently powering the two rear monitors using the driver's side cigarette lighter. But I would like to clean it up and find some power wires in the back to tap into it. Anyone know if I can tap power from the wires that is going into the Sirius box. Thanks.

·
Registered
809 Posts
I'm not convinced the module is the Sirius box- I have the same box under my seats, but do not have Sirius. But I agree with a49er; no splicing until you know what it is. The CAN/BUS stuff seems to all be interconnected- mess up one component and you could have a domino effect. Check out the guy that just melted his electronics with a HID install mishap!
I would (and will probably) either track down the wire for the rear power outlet, or just run a new power wire from the battery.
In regards to the harness under the front seats, I read once (can't cite) that yellow denotes air-bag functions; could that harness be for the occupant detection system? Again, not something I would be wanting to tap into.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks Kansas. Yah, these interconnected systems always scare me. No tapping till I know, that's why I'm asking. The yellow plug sounds about right too.
Too bad for the guy with HIDs. I was thinking about putting those in later on down the road.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts