Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my wife has a stock 06 commander. We need new tires ASAP for inspection. We have always went with BF Goodrich A/T s becuase I have beat the heck out of them (plowing , four-wheeling , towing) on our other Jeeps and they always held up. We have a 2" lift coming in about a week but need the commander inspected this week. I was wondering if I should go with the 225/70/r17 A/T now or can I fit the 245/70/r17 M/T temporarly until the lift is installed. We really would love to have the M/T's but ofcourse we waited until the last minute. We are set on BF Goodrich and want the biggest tires we can fit on it. Thanks For any info.

·
Banned
277 Posts
http://www.jeepcommander.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8393

Jeep Commanders ranging from the 2" spacer lifts to the 3.5 Rock Krawler kit can fit the following tires WITHOUT wheel spacers and no rubbing:

245/65R17 (Stock Tire Size)
245/70R17
245/75R17
255/65R17
255/70R17

Jeep Commanders ranging from the 2" spacer lifts to the 3.5 inch Rock Krawler kit can fit the following tires WITH wheel spacers but will cause minor rubbing: (MINOR TRIMMING OF THE REAR PLASTIC FENDER WELL AND BENDING OVER OF THE PINCH WELD REQUIRED)

255/75R17
265/65R17
265/70R17
I was wondering if I should go with the 225/70/r17 A/T now or can I fit the 245/70/r17 M/T temporarly until the lift is installed. We really would love to have the M/T's but of course we waited until the last minute. We are set on BF Goodrich and want the biggest tires we can fit on it..
I'm going to assume you mistyped the tire size at 225, that is way too narrow. Also, I'm pretty sure the tire size doesn't change with A/T vs. M/T, a size is a size, they should be the same. The tallest tire you can run without rubbing at stock height is the 245/75-r17, I had them before I got my lift, and they worked perfectly. If you want wider than stock without rubbing, go with 255/70, but when you get your lift you may be wishing you had gone bigger. I wish I would have gotten the 265/70s to start with, but they require bending over the pinch weld. The FAQ thread link at the top will tell you everything you need to know.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the valuble info. Just so I am absolutly clear I can run the 245/75/R17 Bf Goodrich M/T stock until I get the 2" lift on next week?

·
Banned
277 Posts
I firmly believe so. You might experience some very slight rubbing at full lock due to the large lugs on the M/Ts, but nothing that should be too concerning for less than a week before you get your lift installed. Good luck.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for your help. I put the deposit down today and they say they can put them on tommorow. I will post back once they are on.

·
Banned
277 Posts
Good, glad to hear they worked out well for ya. They look great!

·
Registered
158 Posts
I wish I would have gotten the 265/70s to start with, but they require bending over the pinch weld. The FAQ thread link at the top will tell you everything you need to know.
Is there much work in bending over the pinch weld. I have a RC 2 inch lift with leveling spacers and would love to run something wider like this. Do you need to run wheel spacers?

I'm about to order some tires.

Thanks

Trevor

·
Banned
277 Posts
Is there much work in bending over the pinch weld. I have a RC 2 inch lift with leveling spacers and would love to run something wider like this. Do you need to run wheel spacers?
For pinch weld modification tips, check out this thread:
http://www.jeepcommander.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8214

I've heard of a couple different ways. Most have used brute force and big hammers to bend it over. Others have used a sawzall and trimmed the excess metal away, although this method raised concerns of the resulting strength (or weakness, rather) of the trimmed weld. So, some have chosen to trim it, then add a weld of their own over the seam for reassurance.

After modding the pinch weld, you need to reshape the plastic wheel well liner to get the full benefits of the modification. A simple heat gun and some patience is typically all you need here, depending on how you want it to look afterward. Some have even decided to simply cut the plastic liners off, but that raised concerns of the coolant lines being exposed on the passenger side.

Personally, when I get around to it, I'm going to bend over the pinch weld with a BFH and the reshape the liner with a heat gun - seems to be the generally accepted method and retains the factory look as much as possible with the liners.

Regarding spacers, yes, I believe you will have to run spacers on the stock wheels in order to fit 265/70s due to the lack of clearance with the UCA bolt that hangs down. I would add them if you have a lift anyway, as it helps stabilize the body roll of a lifted XK with a higher center of gravity. You will notice a difference.

·
Registered
242 Posts
i had an XK with 265x70x17 super swampers on cragar soft 8 w/ 4.75BS. my friend has 265x70x17 BFG KM2 M/T on XD addicts with 5.75 (or something like that) back spacing. both have the Rockyroad lift.
grinding only when back up and turning at same time. and hitting a bump while turning. and obviously, full tuck.
but TOTALLY worth it. SO much better looking than 255 or skinny 245s.

·
Registered
36 Posts
i had an XK with 265x70x17 super swampers on cragar soft 8 w/ 4.75BS. my friend has 265x70x17 BFG KM2 M/T on XD addicts with 5.75 (or something like that) back spacing. both have the Rockyroad lift.
grinding only when back up and turning at same time. and hitting a bump while turning. and obviously, full tuck.
but TOTALLY worth it. SO much better looking than 255 or skinny 245s.
I agree with him considering i'm that friend. :eyemouth:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts