Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone using the Motorcraft 5w-20 in their Hemi?

It is a synthetic blend that has some high properties when compared to other blended oils. Not sure if it is the same as Kendall.

Found the oil well stocked and priced at Wal-mart.

I change oil every 4000 miles.

Thanks,

·
Registered
343 Posts
Mobile 1 full full synthetic every 4000 miles...sure it get pricey but so do engine repairs down the road....

i would rather use a cheaper full synthetic than a blend

ive used castrol syntec before but not motorcraft..dont take a chance on your oil and dont listen to the company's review of thier own oil..just my 2 cents

·
Registered
19 Posts
The Motorcraft oil is a good oil. Check out the F150 forum. Those guys run it in their trucks and get 200000 miles plus from their engines. In addition, it is sold at Walmart for around $2 a quart. Ford puts the semi synthetic in at the factory for the F 150.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Well, I reached my first oil change (3,102 miles) and I am switching over to synthetic oil (a full synthetic). What does everyone recommend? I must admit that I really have no clue about this type of thing, it's normally something I just have the dealer do for me, but I want to be proactive and have them use the brand that I prefer. I have the HEMI so I know I need to stay with 5W-20, but what about the brand?? I am not concerned about spending a few extra bucks. Thanks!

·
Registered
163 Posts
Well when I change to synthetic in my 04 Hemi Ram I went with Royal Purple and right off the bat you can tell the diff and with other mods but no cam nor nos I got 13.9 in the 1/4 mile at 98 mph. Amsoil is also good but both of these cost like $5 to $7 a qt so it would be a expensive oil change at every 3000. Now if your hemi was out of warranty you could run these oils and could go 12000 or more miles on the Royal Purple and I think like 18000 on the amsoil. At the time Im using Q torque by quaker state and it seems to be working fine but then again Advance auto was have a sale on them at .97 cents a qt for 5w-20 full synthetic and bought 28qt which would give me about 4 3000 miles oil changes so I went with this for the savings in money.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I have almost always used Mobile 1. No real reason other then I have used it in pretty much every vehicle I have ever owned. The thing I like best about full synthetic is not having to change oil until 7-10K miles.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Tristan said:
I have almost always used Mobile 1. No real reason other then I have used it in pretty much every vehicle I have ever owned. The thing I like best about full synthetic is not having to change oil until 7-10K miles.
Unless it's all city driving, then you're likely still on a 3000 mi. oil change interval. Or, at least I am.

·
Super Moderator
15,103 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Hey Tristan, most of those synthetic companies due state to change your oil at every 3000 miles due to Factory Warranty specs. If you are out of warranty then no biggie but if something does go wrong and they see that the oil isnt being change at their specs they could void the warranty. I know when I spoke to a Royal Purple tech thats what he told me. So check into it.

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
HEMI Commander. said:
Hey Tristan, most of those synthetic companies due state to change your oil at every 3000 miles due to Factory Warranty specs. If you are out of warranty then no biggie but if something does go wrong and they see that the oil isnt being change at their specs they could void the warranty. I know when I spoke to a Royal Purple tech thats what he told me. So check into it.
The dealer here recommended every 6,000 miles with synthetic. Of course that was with Hendricks who is no longer a new car sales. I probably should ask the Dodge/Jeep dealership I currently take it to now. I go with what the dealer puts which I think is Mobil1.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Mobil 1 synthetic every 5,000 miles with WIX filters (part # 51085). Buy your oil from Wal-Mart, it's the cheapest around town (price does fluctuate...$21 per 5 Qt. jug the last time I bought it).

Later, TexasHemi

·
Registered
588 Posts
I use the AMSOIL 7,500 synthetic along with their 15k mile filter. I change the oil every 6k miles. In my TJ I use the 15k mile oil and filter and change it once a year. Always comes out clean. john

·
Registered
49 Posts
Synthetic Oil

Does anyone use synthetic oil in their Hemi's? I'm debating if I should switch to synthetic or not, my Commander is at 5K miles and I'm about to schedule the first service at the dealer.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts