Jeep Commander Forum banner

What did you do to/with your Commander today?

155K views 987 replies 113 participants last post by  jklightner 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
I did quite a bit of searching and couldn't find a thread like this, which was surprising.

But anyway, this is to share the quick updates about the little things you did to your XK on any given day. If you don't want to start a new thread... Let us know here!

Reactions: Eric Winscher
#2 ·
Nothing too cool and I haven't done it yet but yesterday I just received my replacement blower motor control module which I plan on installing this Saturday. I had to order the entire kit which came with a replacement wire harness. Should be fun to figure out the correct wiring since it didn't really come with instructions. I've also read in other threads that the cables to the blower motor are often reversed causing the fan to blow in the opposite direction so I'll have to keep that in mind.

#4 ·
My blower motor occasionally makes the rattle, but not always. Still performs normally. I'm trying to just ignore it until it fails! Haha

#3 ·
last weekend I installed new head lights and replaced the water pump, I rented the tools to remove the fan clutch but were no use, my cousin came over and used a wrench to loosen the nut and remove the fan.

#5 ·
I dried out the front seats and carpet with a blow dryer Monday! I left the sunroof open Sunday night while we had the slightest drizzle, more like mist, all night. No accumulation on the floor, but wet interior. I was worried about electrical issues, but none yet...fingers are crossed:) I have all three cars due for oil change and two due for inspection this month.

#6 · (Edited)
Great idea for a thread.

This wasn't "today" but recently used my Fumoto oil drain valve for the first time since install to change my oil. Worked GREAT! No mess. Running Pennzoil Platinum 5w20 and mobil one extra capacity filter. I spent $25 AMIR for 5 qts plus filter @ Autozone as they were running an oil change special, and Pennzoil has a $10 MIR. More than doubled my OCI, as it still looked clean after 3000 miles. I should probably send the next batch in for an oil analysis, so I ordered a free test kit. :banger: WAY cheaper than paying a greasemonkey to do it for me, and I shouldn't have to change near as often. Happy with that.

Fumoto oil drain

Free oil test kit

Waiting for my 7w cree bulbs to come in so I can swap the brake lights and backup lights. CHEAP on ebay from china, but shipping time is 21 days+, wish me luck.

Broke 100k miles, its time to get serious about changing the rest of my fluids: trans (scared of the NAG1 :yikes: it is quite sensitive to fluid level), diff, brake fluid, etc.

#7 ·
I think this is a great idea for a thread.
Didn't do anything directly to my XK, but did a ton of research on how to replace the Rack and Pinion for my power steering.. which only lead me to dread the weekend that I have to do it ;) But $300 for the part is way better than the 1k a shop wants to do it!

#10 ·
Finished subwoofer install. Sounds great. Used a line level converter off the door front speakers right at the BA amp located on the driver's rear section.

Removed the third row seating which I'll never use and was just taking up cargo room.

Added in the Sundown Audio SA-10 subwoofer in a small, sealed box. Wired to 1 ohm.

Powered by a Rockford Fosgate Punch P1000X1bd, which can push 1000w RMS at 1 ohm.

A little reserve power from a Precision Power 3 farad capacitor.

Ran the "Punch Level Control" to the front between the console and the passenger seat, allowing me to dial in bass level. Not permanently mounted yet.

Vehicle Audio equipment Car Loudspeaker Auto part

Technology Machine Electronic device Room Audio equipment
Vehicle Car Auto part Automotive exterior Personal luxury car

Reactions: dadyun
#12 · (Edited)
What I Did to My XK Today...

$10, you pay shipping. They're in decent shape. One of the mounting brackets bolt holes is messed up, but it didn't impact stability when I had them on.

Frankly, I was just going to throw them away as I didn't want to mess with shipping them anywhere. Don't know where I'd even find a box to put them in...

If you pick them up in NW Arkansas, they're free! ?

#14 ·
$10, you pay shipping. They're in decent shape. One of the mounting brackets bolt holes is messed up, but it didn't impact stability when I had them on.

Frankly, I was just going to throw them away as I didn't want to mess with shipping them anywhere. Don't know where I'd even find a box to put them in...

If you pick them up in NW Arkansas, they're free! ?
Oh man, sounds like a great deal. Probably more trouble for you than it's worth for $10. I wouldn't even know where one could find a box in that shape and size.

Maybe someone near you would love to take them off your hands.

#16 ·
Took the factory roof crossbars off to test fuel economy and seemed I was getting around 1 MPG better on the highway. Perhaps a shade more.

#17 ·
Plugged a hole in my 1 y o front right fortera friday afternoon. There wasnt even a nail or anything in the tire, but a puncture. The puncture was on the edge of the tread!!

#18 · (Edited)
What I Did to My XK Today...

Got a short break from the rain so the XK got a full wash and wax yesterday.

I LOVE the feeling of the smooth paint after a good wax. Makes the car feel like a million bucks.

When I picked up my XK it had some 110k mile already so it clearly had a few bumps and scrapes. It's kinda funny, but I really preferred it that way.

Given that it already had the use, it lets me use it and enjoy without being so worried about a little scratch like when I had brand new vehicles.

#19 ·
Got a short break from the rain so the XK got a full wash and wax yesterday.

I LOVE the feeling of the smooth paint after a good wax. Makes the car feel like a million bucks.

When I picked up my XK it had some 110k mile already so it clearly had a few bumps and scrapes. It's kinda funny, but I really preferred it that way.

Given that it already had the use, it lets me use it and enjoy without being so worried about a little scratch like when I had brand new vehicles.

Attachments

#20 ·
I finally got around to replacing my blower motor control module on Saturday and it turns out that CarID suggested the wrong part. Their website suggested the resistor along with a couple of new wire harnesses and a mounting plate. Turns out I only needed the resistor due to the build date of my XK. They're currently checking with the manufacturer if they can return just the spare parts that I didn't need as an exception since their website was incorrect. Initially they tried to tell me they couldn't accept the return and suggested that I sell the wire harness and mounting plate locally but that didn't seem fair considering the circumstance. Eventually they understood and seemed willing to work with me.

Anyways, while that is being addressed I also discovered that my recirculation actuator gear was broken, also another common issue. I ordered the replacement part from TascaParts and will install it this weekend.

I love working on my Jeep but sometimes I feel like- now what?

#21 ·
I put in some new RECON Headlight Bulbs and Brights...They are ok...They have a different look but not super bright like I would want. Swapped out all the interior with LED bulbs....Other than that Got a Recall Notice for The Commander (No parts to fix the Issue) so you win some you lose some...

#33 ·
I finally got around to replacing the actuator gear for the fresh air/recirculation door. This was an easy fix but it can be a bit time consuming just trying to get the gears to line up properly. I had left the recirc door open that allows fresh air in and big mistake during the cold weather. I was getting cold air coming out of all vents with the heater on towards the floor. After the fix the door only opens as needed and is mostly closed when the heater is in use.

Here's a picture of the actuator with the broken gear. I highlighted where the gear is attached to the actuator and circled the broken end of it.

Here's a picture of where the actuator sits and the gear for the recirc door.

This is a pic with the new gear and the actuator mounted. My flashlight is pointing to where the gears meet.

And now no more cold air while driving on the expressway with the heater on!

#37 ·
Stuff today

New lower control arms, ditched the airbox and intalled an Eautotuning dual filter setup. Blue LEDs in the cabin, old man emu struts. Diablo tune and HID conversion.

Still on the floor:
SRT8 exhaust headers
90mm TB
Catch can
Magnaflow midpipes with cats
Nitro 4:10 gear set
Need a new front bumper, i have a winch.

#38 ·
New lower control arms, ditched the airbox and intalled an Eautotuning dual filter setup. Blue LEDs in the cabin, old man emu struts. Diablo tune and HID conversion.

Still on the floor:

SRT8 exhaust headers

90mm TB

Catch can

Magnaflow midpipes with cats

Nitro 4:10 gear set

Need a new front bumper, i have a winch.

Wow! Quite the project. Need some pictures!

#41 ·
Bringing this post back to the top.

I installed a single strongarm rear glass lift strut. Took about 1 min. Removed clips on old strut, popped it off, installed new strut. Now I can stand underneath it! Will probably replace the other one a few months down the road, but for now its good to go.

Wife said she didn't even notice, of course shes only 5'2. It was driving me nuts!

#42 ·
Out with the old and in with the new.

Attachments

#44 ·
The Yellow Top ditched me. After about 5 or 6 years, she gave up yesterday. I would've gotten a new one if I had the time to shop around. But time and a 20% off coupon helped make my purchase decision.

#46 ·
Today I did a 5-tire rotation, checked torque on the spacers, and bent the pinch-weld over a bit more.

#48 ·
When I originally attacked the weld back in 07 I didn't know the trick of cutting it first. This time I took a cutting wheel on an angle grinder and cut several slits. This made it 100% easier to bend each small section over!