Jeep Commander Forum banner

441 - 460 of 538 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
So my passenger side running tail lights went out. Went to the local auto store to pick up some new bulbs to swap out only to find that they still didn't work. It's strange. The driver side works fine and even the brake lights for both sides, but the running light don't activate

·
Administrator
6,288 Posts
So my passenger side running tail lights went out. Went to the local auto store to pick up some new bulbs to swap out only to find that they still didn't work. It's strange. The driver side works fine and even the brake lights for both sides, but the running light don't activate
My guess is the wiring harness for your Passenger's side tail light is bad; You can get a replacement tail light wiring harness for $60.00 or so;

I had to replace mine a while back - but on the driver's side; It's pretty simple.

·
Registered
134 Posts

·
Administrator
6,288 Posts
That's my next step, but just another frustrating issue I've had with it. Why can it never just be simple?
It really is a pretty simple fix; Just unplug the old one and plug in the new one.

Sometimes water manages to get into the light bulb sockets, to the point where they get corroded and are no longer conducting electricity properly.

·
Administrator
6,288 Posts
It really is a pretty simple fix; Just unplug the old one and plug in the new one.

Sometimes water manages to get into the light bulb sockets, to the point where they get corroded and are no longer conducting electricity properly.
No problem, glad I could help.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Installed a set of OME shocks in the rear. At the same time, removed and greased the bushings on my rear BWoody sway bar links.
I'm looking into replacing the shocks on my '06 Commander. I thought it was recommended to replace all 4 shocks at the same time??

·
Registered
134 Posts
I'm looking into replacing the shocks on my '06 Commander. I thought it was recommended to replace all 4 shocks at the same time??
When replacing shock you replace the corresponding one next to it. So if you have a bad front one you replace both front shocks and vice versa with the rear. I recently replaced my front shock cause of a bad one and it rides fine.

·
Administrator
6,288 Posts
No kidding about that. The other one just felt like it was on the verge of falling apart sooner or later.
I'm glad you stuck with it and got it worked out to your satisfaction.

One thing you need as an XK owner, is perseverance.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I'm glad you stuck with it and got it worked out to your satisfaction.

One thing you need as an XK owner, is perseverance.
Oh that wire harnes for the tail light arrived today, but I also ordered and entire tail light as well. Upon closer examination I found a sizable crack on the inside so may as well replace it entirely. Hopefully that'll be here tomorrow

·
Administrator
6,288 Posts
Oh that wire harnes for the tail light arrived today, but I also ordered and entire tail light as well. Upon closer examination I found a sizable crack on the inside so may as well replace it entirely. Hopefully that'll be here tomorrow
That crack would explain how the sockets in the original wiring harness shorted out - or became intermittent.

So yes, I'd replace the wiring harness & the tail light housing.

441 - 460 of 538 Posts