Jeep Commander Forum banner
601 - 616 of 616 Posts

·
Registered
2006, 4.7L,QT-II, 4WD
128 Posts
A couple weeks ago my ABS, Traction Control, ESP/BAS and Service 4WD lights came on. I also noticed that during normal breaking my anti-lock breaks would sometimes kick in. Did some searching here on the site and determined that it was a bad wheel speed sensor / ABS sensor. I wasnt sure exactly which one and guessed that it was one of the front ones. I actually went up to Auto Zone to see if they could read ABS codes. They said they just got the computer in to do it, but it would be a couple weeks before they started.

So I watched this video and got after it this weekend. I normally work with my brother on things like this, but he was tied up with work. So as "simple" as this was it took me a bit longer to do. But I kept at it and got it done without any issues. Since I had the calipers and brackets off the front, I swapped out the front pads while I was at it. So now I've got no more warning lights (looks like I guessed right with the front sensors) and a new break job in the front. I call that a good weekend!!

·
Registered
06 _ 5.7L _QD2 _ 135k _ 5100s 2.5" _ 265x70x17 _ stock wheels
271 Posts
Kinda nice that its replacable separate from the hub assy !

·
Registered
21 Posts
Finally got round to removing the rocker panels. I think it looks better and more height. Used POR15 bed liner over the metal and inner lower step area but may go back over with something more substantial. It seems thin and easily peels.

·
Registered
2006, 4.7L,QT-II, 4WD
128 Posts
The interior door handles in my Commander have been broken in some form for a while. The 2 front door handles were badly cracked, but functioned and the rear drivers side handle didnt work from inside any more. It hasnt been that big of a deal because I rarely have anyone in the car w/ me, let alone a 3rd person that would sit in the back seat. But when I do, I either need to get out and open the door for them or they roll the window down and reach out to open it themselves from the outside. Either way, not a good look!!

I ordered replacement handle kits a while back and just never got around to changing them. I finally had some time this past Sunday and I got them all swapped out. Also, I ordered 4 new handles, but the rear passenger handle wasnt broke, so I didnt need to replace it. I was also having problems with the lock actuator in the drivers door. I got one from the Pull a Part yard a couple months back and figured I'd wait until I had the door panels off working on these handles to also replace the lock actuator.

Below are some before & after pics. It all went pretty smoothly. I did use 1 longer screw than came with the kits and it started to come thru a bit and 1 other screw I must have tightened a bit too much as it also started to come thru. That's the lighter "dots" in 2 of the after pics. I can deal with that to have functioning door handles again!! And the lock actuator swap went pretty smooth as well, a little messing around working to get all the pieces connected inside of the door, but it's in and functioning. Again, nice to have a door that locks w/ the alarm and doesnt make that buzzing sound w/ every lock / unlock!!

Broke Front Drivers Door

Broke Front Drivers.jpg

Broke Rear Drivers Door

Broke Rear Drivers.jpg

Broke Front Passenger Door

Broke Front Passengers.jpg

Fixed Front Drivers Door

Fixed Front Drivers.jpg

Fixed Rear Drivers Door

Fixed Rear Drivers.jpg

Fixed Front Passenger Door

Fixed Front Passengers.jpg

·
Registered
271 Posts
Jeep really shouldve put one pc of metal inside that handle assy. My kids broke the rear handle within the first week i owned mine.

·
2006 Commander Limited, 5.7 Hemi QD2
1,022 Posts
I opened the garage door to let it have some fresh air. :LOL:
Seriously thinking of putting an AC in the garage - been in the 90's for weeks now.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Removed the useless 3rd row yesterday... I mean "today". Going to fab a hinged box for the void. I haven't driven it since removal, buy I'm guessing my 0 - 60 just dropped a whole second and a half and I'll probably get 10 more MPG. That 3rd row assembly is heavy! ;)

Reactions: Stircrayzy

·
Registered
26 Posts
Just for fun I picked it up from the garage after the rear wheel sensor went at the weekend and triggered all the usual warning lights!

After paying for it (I dont have the kit to do it myself) I thought I would add up all of the invoices I have had since I took ownership in September 2016......ready......£6365....which is less than I was expecting TBH.

Is a grand and a bit a year about right for repairs and MOTs????

Sone here will say I have gotten off lightly!

·
Registered
271 Posts
If i hit $1000 /yr operating cost, my wife would want it gone. Im at about $600/yr including upgrade purchases & maint.

·
1,022 Posts
Are you including Gas? My gas was $970 Everything else was about $25 US.

Reactions: HyperionAlpha

·
Registered
271 Posts
Gas is too subjective to include in cost comparison. Same truck driving in CA would be double, and down south probably only half
Only worth tracking if your deducting commercial use.

·
1,022 Posts
Forgetting gas, factoring in tires every 4 years would be $150. Car washes add $120. New windshield wipers every 10 years $3. Oil changes $25. Change coolant every 10 years $5. Change Diff and TC oil every 10 years $4. Transmission oil and filter change every 10 years $15. Change brakes every 10 years $20. Top off AC coolant every year $1. Windshield washer fluid $1.50.
That adds up to a yearly cost of $344.50
Did I miss anything?
The only thing I don't do myself is transmission oil/filter change.

·
Registered
271 Posts
I just skipped doing diffs and transfer case myself cause its been hovering around 90 deg lately and working 60 hr weeks. 90 deg here in Mich is most unpleasent, and discourages outdoor labor, for us northerners.

+$360 at the dealership. (Wanted it done right)

·
1,022 Posts
I just skipped doing diffs and transfer case myself cause its been hovering around 90 deg lately and working 60 hr weeks. 90 deg here in Mich is most unpleasent, and discourages outdoor labor, for us northerners.

+$360 at the dealership. (Wanted it done right)
That's how I feel on the transmission. Old days of stick shift was easy :LOL:

Reactions: Stircrayzy
601 - 616 of 616 Posts