Jeep Commander Forum banner
721 - 740 of 740 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2006 Commander Limited, 5.7 Hemi QD2
1,881 Posts
Put my keys in the washing machine. Don't wanna know why - Took apart and set in sun for an hour - it works again.

Wood Textile Sleeve Gesture Wrist

Reactions: dar124 and Arapahoe

·
Premium Member
Dallas TX
449 Posts
I swapped out the PCM this weekend, finally things have settled enought that i felt it was time. Thanks to Blue's sheet it was a non issue. Gave her a bath and polished up. Also swapped out the rear differential oil..
Tire Automotive tire Aircraft Motor vehicle Tread

Wheel Tire Automotive tire Tread Motor vehicle

·
Premium Member
Dallas TX
449 Posts
early start on the weekend, had some wood from other projects and the stain. Picked up some carpet and piano hinge at HD. the track is from ebay, lots of tie down options with it. need to level a bit more but getting close.

- "L" track -

plywood covered with carpet and padding, frame in the background. started with 2x6's i had laying around and made the rounded cut outs to lighten them, and provide air.

Rectangle Plant Table Wood Line

the deck layup -5/8" ply, sound deadening pad, and HD carpet (cannot get more than 3' of oem carpet from vendor currently)

Ruler Sleeve Grey Wood Road surface

initial install, needs to be levelled

Land vehicle Car Vehicle Automotive tire Tire

underneath, will make a prop rod for it next.

Wood Electrical wiring Gas Trunk Wire

·
Registered
2006 4.7L Sport, QT-II 4WD
225 Posts
I was reading thru the form earlier this week and saw a post listing a bunch of different issues someone was having. A reply said that 2 of the issues (an erratic idle and occasional stalling) could be fixed by replacing the Throttle Position Sensor. I know I've replaced that on my Commander in the past, which did make my issue better, but didnt completely solve them.

Reading that reply made me do some additional Googling, where I came across this video: Chrysler, Dodge, and Jeep 4.7 TPS sensor troubleshooting After watching that video it made me realize that I may have installed my TPS incorrectly. Specifically the part right around the 2:20 mark where he takes note of the rest position of the sensor. I'm fairly certain that I didnt do that on my previous swap. So today I removed the sensor and it did not spring back like in the video. I had a lifetime warranty on the sensor, so I went up and swapped it out for a new one. I also noticed there wasnt a gasket on the old sensor when I removed it?? It was a bit strange reading thru the instructions with the sensor and looking at their diagrams, but I determined that I should use the flat paper gasket that came with the new sensor.

Got everything back together and will test it out over the weekend to see if I notice any improvements!!

·
Administrator
8,162 Posts
I was reading thru the form earlier this week and saw a post listing a bunch of different issues someone was having. A reply said that 2 of the issues (an erratic idle and occasional stalling) could be fixed by replacing the Throttle Position Sensor. I know I've replaced that on my Commander in the past, which did make my issue better, but didnt completely solve them.

Reading that reply made me do some additional Googling, where I came across this video: Chrysler, Dodge, and Jeep 4.7 TPS sensor troubleshooting After watching that video it made me realize that I may have installed my TPS incorrectly. Specifically the part right around the 2:20 mark where he takes note of the rest position of the sensor. I'm fairly certain that I didnt do that on my previous swap. So today I removed the sensor and it did not spring back like in the video. I had a lifetime warranty on the sensor, so I went up and swapped it out for a new one. I also noticed there wasnt a gasket on the old sensor when I removed it?? It was a bit strange reading thru the instructions with the sensor and looking at their diagrams, but I determined that I should use the flat paper gasket that came with the new sensor.

Got everything back together and will test it out over the weekend to see if I notice any improvements!!
Let us know how she runs @dar124

·
Registered
2006 4.7L Sport, QT-II 4WD
225 Posts
Let us know how she runs @dar124
So after swapping the TPS (this time installing it correctly and using a gasket) and driving for the past week, I'd say that the Commander definitely idles better / smoother and seems to be a bit more responsive. It's quite possible that this is just a Placebo Effect and there is no real difference. Sometimes after a car wash I feel it drives better!! But I'm happy with how it's currently running. It would also occasionally stall if I started driving right after startup. I felt like it needed to warm up a bit each day at the first start up. This hasnt happened in the last week, but it would only occasionally happen, so again, maybe just a coincidence.

·
Registered
'07 Commander Limited - 5.7L, Steel Blue
39 Posts
I disabled the TPMS using Appcar DiagFCA. TPMS is not available when you step through EVIC but I think it still chimes indicating an error. I'll have to drive it more.

·
Administrator
8,162 Posts
I disabled the TPMS using Appcar DiagFCA. TPMS is not available when you step through EVIC but I think it still chimes indicating an error. I'll have to drive it more.
@Woodoggie ;

I know exactly what you're talking about, should be just a single chime.

That chime should eventually stop, over time, after the new configuration is "learned".

That being said, it has no adverse effects on your Commanders normal operation and it does NOT generate any errors or codes in the EVIC.

·
Registered
'07 Commander Limited - 5.7L, Steel Blue
39 Posts
@Woodoggie ;

I know exactly what you're talking about, should be just a single chime.

That chime should eventually stop, over time, after the new configuration is "learned".

That being said, it has no adverse effects on your Commanders normal operation and it does NOT generate any errors or codes in the EVIC.
I definitely still chimes.

·
Premium Member
Dallas TX
449 Posts
sometimes it may take another interaction with appcar. i love the software, i am learning more and more everytime i go in there but i have found sometimes my changes do not "take"... i am impatient by nature so it may just be me. Today i adjusted tire diameter again to try to get more accurate on the speedo..

·
Administrator
8,162 Posts
sometimes it may take another interaction with appcar. i love the software, i am learning more and more everytime i go in there but i have found sometimes my changes do not "take"... i am impatient by nature so it may just be me. Today i adjusted tire diameter again to try to get more accurate on the speedo..
The FCA AppcarDiag OBD-II software is an excellent tool to have.

I'd go so far as to say, it could very well be, the single-most important resource, for Commander owners to have, in my opinion.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Had to work in Dorset (the nest county) today.
Now the bearings are done and the transmission and transfer case fluids have all ben done it drove like a charm.
The downside was I have noticed a 'clink' when I pull away on hills. Its intermittent. Hopefully its just a bushing somewhere as its silky smooth when it pulls away now.
Hopefully the weather will stay good as I have some bits to replace that a kind forum member took the time and trouble to get from a junkyard and ship all the way to the UK (more on this when I do it)

there was one downside. To fill it up with diesel. £147. Happy days.

·
Administrator
8,162 Posts
Had to work in Dorset (the nest county) today.
Now the bearings are done and the transmission and transfer case fluids have all ben done it drove like a charm.
The downside was I have noticed a 'clink' when I pull away on hills. Its intermittent. Hopefully its just a bushing somewhere as its silky smooth when it pulls away now.
Hopefully the weather will stay good as I have some bits to replace that a kind forum member took the time and trouble to get from a junkyard and ship all the way to the UK (more on this when I do it)

there was one downside. To fill it up with diesel. £147. Happy days.
@stupops ; The first thing I'd check is your front upper differential bushing; It may also be referred to by some, as the upper pinion bushing.

This is typically the bushing that wears out first, because 75% of the torque and associated stress, IS TRANSFERRED TO THAT ONE BUSHING FIRST. This is due to poor engineering on FCA's part. The other two differential bushings (there are 3 total) take way less of a beating.

And it usually starts with intermittent clunking, either during hard acceleration and/or while hitting bumps in the road.

·
Registered
63 Posts
@stupops ; The first thing I'd check is your front upper differential bushing; It may also be referred to by some, as the upper pinion bushing.

This is typically the bushing that wears out first, because 75% of the torque and associated stress, IS TRANSFERRED TO THAT ONE BUSHING FIRST. This is due to poor engineering on FCA's part. The other two differential bushings (there are 3 total) take way less of a beating.

And it usually starts with intermittent clunking, either during hard acceleration and/or while hitting bumps in the road.
I am not a mechanic chap!
I'll need the garage to have a look for me. For money in their Christmas pot.
To get them replaced - I assume its a pig of a job in labour hours?

721 - 740 of 740 Posts