Jeep Commander Forum banner
741 - 760 of 768 Posts

·
Premium Member
Dallas TX
576 Posts
i ended up replacing the ignition switch, at soccer practice for my daughter, would not stay running at first, then would not do anything when turning the switch. if I jiggled the key, the dash would go dark and pop back up. hard reset on the computer got me running again, still not sure how/why. no codes. I ordered a mopar unit. took about an hour total to install, old one was not a mopar, so there was that.. the new one works great, nice and tight. the moving the key around does not cause power to drop out. key even feels tighter in the ignition if that is possible. when you can, better to get mopar parts for these beasties.. TPS is next, as when I start it, the idle goes all over the place. (did not order mopar for that but delco.. 1/3 the cost)

Reactions: Big Blue

·
Premium Member
Dallas TX
576 Posts
transmission filter and fluid change, also chaging the pan to the dorman with the drain plug (on sale on amazon). TPS sensor swap, and new sway bar ends. Also repalced a 2" piece of vacuum line off the throttle body. chasing a p0441 code

·
Administrator
8,296 Posts
i ended up replacing the ignition switch, at soccer practice for my daughter, would not stay running at first, then would not do anything when turning the switch. if I jiggled the key, the dash would go dark and pop back up. hard reset on the computer got me running again, still not sure how/why. no codes. I ordered a mopar unit. took about an hour total to install, old one was not a mopar, so there was that.. the new one works great, nice and tight. the moving the key around does not cause power to drop out. key even feels tighter in the ignition if that is possible. when you can, better to get mopar parts for these beasties.. TPS is next, as when I start it, the idle goes all over the place. (did not order mopar for that but delco.. 1/3 the cost)
I had my ignition switch placed as part of a factory recall 4 or 5 years back & the increased tightness of the ignition switch itself (Sticking the key in the ignition & turning the key) was quite noticeable.

·
Super Moderator
2006 Commander Limited, 5.7 Hemi QD2
2,008 Posts
Road trip to Devil's Tower, Mt. Rushmore, Crazy Horse
Found out fuel in SD is 20 cents more than in WY.
$4.69 here in Lusk, WY
Regular unleaded is $3.96 here in Tennessee this morning!

Reactions: Arapahoe

·
Registered
2006 4.7L
167 Posts
Took a hose and washed out the cooling fins up front to get rid of the bugs.
Supposed to be in the upper 90s this week

Reactions: dar124

·
Registered
2006 4.7L Sport, QT-II 4WD
244 Posts
Dropped my Commander off at the mechanic this morning to get the front differential re-sealed and the broken bolt replaced in the busing attached to the diff cover. It's the bolt that attaches the bushing to the frame, so hopefully it wont be too much of an issue to remove. Also having them look at the differential bushings to make sure they're in good order. I'm thinking the top one is bad?? I'm getting a slight clunk when shifting Park to Drive / Reverse.

·
Registered
2006 4.7L Sport, QT-II 4WD
244 Posts
Dropped my Commander off at the mechanic this morning to get the front differential re-sealed and the broken bolt replaced in the busing attached to the diff cover. It's the bolt that attaches the bushing to the frame, so hopefully it wont be too much of an issue to remove. Also having them look at the differential bushings to make sure they're in good order. I'm thinking the top one is bad?? I'm getting a slight clunk when shifting Park to Drive / Reverse.
Just picked the Commander up was only $180.00!! I'm happy about that. $75 to remove the broken bolt, $50 to re-seal the diff and just over $40 in charges for fluid. Glad to check this leak of my "to do" list!!

·
Registered
2006 4.7L
167 Posts
Just picked the Commander up was only $180.00!! I'm happy about that. $75 to remove the broken bolt, $50 to re-seal the diff and just over $40 in charges for fluid. Glad to check this leak of my "to do" list!!
If you ever need to have a broken bolt removed from the exhaust manifold, it's a lot more.
Been there, done that, both sides.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Potential disaster!
Drove kids to school and the 'clunking' underneath turned into a 'shuddering' under breaking/deceleration and acceleration...managed to limp it to the garage and the mechanic took us for a test drive and reckons it's the gearbox.....woe..

·
Registered
2006 Limited 5.7 QDll 146k miles
232 Posts
Replaced my plastic center console compartment lid with a leather one taken off a 2010 Overland. I don't even think that was an option for my 06 Limited when new. Anyway, looks great!

Reactions: stupops

·
Registered
74 Posts
i am thiniing its the front diff bushings stu.. fingers crossed for you..
Blue thought it might be something as simple as this. I havnt heard anything yet. Just keeping everything crossed. I cannot afford another huge bill for the car. When the wife finds out she will go bananas! I'll have to choose the family or the jeep I reckon! Will keep you posted!

·
Registered
74 Posts
They think it might be the front propshaft. If its something as simple as this I will be thrilled. I replaced the original which had given up the ghost with a cheap after market one this time last year. If its died already - lesson learned. Fingers crossed. Although I need a decent replacement as Jeep are quoting £1050 plus VAT with is ridiculous. Going back in on monday.

·
Premium Member
Dallas TX
576 Posts
lifetime waranteed units are about $130 us... hope you can find an option

741 - 760 of 768 Posts