761 - 780 of 799 Posts

·
Registered
2006 4.7L
262 Posts
Installed Weather Tech floor mats.
Front, rear and cargo area.
Drivers has a place for the hook to go and seems solid
Passenger side can move forward some, which causes the tunnel side to bow in slightly.
Rears are one piece that covers the tunnel too.
Cargo has a raised lip all around, seems snug, not much movement.
Already had the Mopar rear cover that also covers the back of the seat since day one.

·
Registered
2006 Commander Limited 4.7 130,000 miles
60 Posts
Last week I installed Mr. Gasket spring boosters and 1" rubber blocks hoping to level the front end and smooth out the ride over washboard roads and rough pavement. Wow what a difference I got the exact results that I was hoping for. Raised the front by over 1inch, now within 1/2" of the rear (was almost 2" difference before), but best of all it really smoothed out my ride over rough surfaces. Over time my springs must have softened some and the newer front struts could only do so much for the ride.
Wheel Tire Automotive side marker light Automotive parking light Car
Tire Automotive tire Tread Synthetic rubber Wheel

·
Registered
06 _ 5.7L _QD2 _ 142k _ 5100s 2.5" _ 265x70x17 _ stock wheels
325 Posts
Hate to break it to ya, but those rubber blocks are gonna eject at some point. Keep an eye on them. Youdve been better of with a strut spacer or something solid.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I was looking to improve my ride and give a little leveling lift and this has accomplished that goal. A strut spacer would not have helped my ride at all. I will need to replace the springs eventually, so the rubber spring buffers and blocks are just until I am ready to make that move. I am aware that the rubber blocks will probably come loose at some time (replacing just $16) and to help avoid that, they are double zip-tied in as are the buffers. For now I have the ride and the rake that I desired so I am fine with that.

Reactions: Stircrayzy

·
Administrator
8,417 Posts
Hate to break it to ya, but those rubber blocks are gonna eject at some point. Keep an eye on them. Youdve been better of with a strut spacer or something solid.
Yep;

I think a simple spacer lift, would have been the way to go.

That would have leveled you out with a more permanent solution and they're cheap enough.

Not $16.00, but, still fairly cheap.

But hey, different strokes.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Yep;

I think a simple spacer lift, would have been the way to go.

That would have leveled you out with a more permanent solution and they're cheap enough.

Not $16.00, but, still fairly cheap.

But hey, different strokes.
From what I read the spacer lift may not buffer my springs. Right now I have the ride that I was hoping for, later I will need to research whether a spacer lift or spring change will get me the ride and lift that I have now. I have newer struts but my ride on washboard roads and pavement in poor condition made for a very uncomfortable ride at times, so trying to get the springs and struts to work together for the best ride.

·
Administrator
8,417 Posts
From what I read the spacer lift may not buffer my springs. Right now I have the ride that I was hoping for, later I will need to research whether a spacer lift or spring change will get me the ride and lift that I have now. I have newer struts but my ride on washboard roads and pavement in poor condition made for a very uncomfortable ride at times, so trying to get the springs and struts to work together for the best ride.
@fshnbob ;

A spacer lift maintains the stock ride quality, because all of the stock suspension components are still being used, if that makes sense.

A typical spacer lift, like the 2 inch Rough Country Lift, will raise you up about 2 inches & level you out. and get rid of the nose-down rake, that most people don't seem to care for.

Last time I checked, it was less than $200.00

·
Registered
334 Posts
@fshnbob ;

A spacer lift maintains the stock ride quality, because all of the stock suspension components are still being used, if that makes sense.

A typical spacer lift, like the 2 inch Rough Country Lift, will raise you up about 2 inches & level you out. and get rid of the nose-down rake, that most people don't seem to care for.

Last time I checked, it was less than $200.00
As usual Big Blue is correct, Rough Country is IMHO the best spacer kit you can buy to make things right.

Attachments

Reactions: Big Blue

·
Registered
2010 Limited HEMI
78 Posts
Bilstein 5100's all the way around. Fronts are top setting. Raised it WAYYY MORE than I thought it would. Had to purchase 1.5 rear lift also to re-level it. So that's what I did today (the rear spacers) also threw on some gladiator takeoffs.

If it helps anyone to know, measuring from the ground up to the center of the wheel opening, my nose went from 2.5 inches lower than the rear, to a full 1.5 higher. So the 5100's on top setting netted me a full 4 inches from ground to top of front fender opening.

Had to install 1.5 rear ebay lift spacers, to get it level again.

Hope that helps someone in the future.

Attachments

·
Administrator
8,417 Posts
Bilstein 5100's all the way around. Fronts are top setting. Raised it WAYYY MORE than I thought it would. Had to purchase 1.5 rear lift also to re-level it. So that's what I did today (the rear spacers) also threw on some gladiator takeoffs.

If it helps anyone to know, measuring from the ground up to the center of the wheel opening, my nose went from 2.5 inches lower than the rear, to a full 1.5 higher. So the 5100's on top setting netted me a full 4 inches from ground to top of front fender opening.

Had to install 1.5 rear ebay lift spacers, to get it level again.

Hope that helps someone in the future.
Looks good, now its time to replace those tires - they look tired.

·
Registered
2006 4.7L Sport, QT-II 4WD
266 Posts
I took on a Commander project that I've been meaning to get to all summer. I needed to touch up the roof rails as some of the finish was peeling off. I had done a quick touch up a little over a year ago but wasnt happy w/ my work and it was starting to peel again.

This time I used a few different grits of sand paper and then wiped down / washed and rinsed the rails off so hopefully they'll be cleaner and the new paint will stick better.

Here's the before roof rails w/ the peeling.

Grille Hood Window Automotive lighting Automotive tire

Train Motor vehicle Rolling stock Vehicle Plant

A bit of the drivers side after my sanding and prepping for paint.

World Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design Newspaper

And then the finished driver side rail. The passenger side only had one small spot (not worth posting a pic of it).

Hood Automotive tire Grille Automotive lighting Motor vehicle

It's not perfect, but I'm happy with the results. And it looks better than having the finish flaking off like it was.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I have also been wanting to try to polish up my headlights as they have gotten a bit foggy. I was at my parents place a couple days ago and my Dad recently picked up some TR3 Resin Glaze and had good results using it on his headlights. Although, his were on a newer car and werent in as bad shape. But I borrowed their buffer and fingers crossed I went at it!!

Head lights before.

Automotive parking light Automotive tail & brake light Grille Vehicle Automotive lighting

Automotive parking light Automotive tail & brake light Grille Automotive lighting Hood

Head lights after.

Tire Automotive parking light Automotive side marker light Wheel Vehicle

Automotive parking light Grille Vehicle Automotive lighting Hood

I was hoping these would turn out better. I do think there is some improvement, but not as much as I thought there would be. The TR3 Resin Glaze does seem to be good stuff with a lot of good reviews. I even watched this video where he only buffed it by hand and seemed to get good results. But I guess a little improvement isnt bad for the first time working on these since 2006!! Maybe a 2nd or 3rd time buffing them will get them a little better each time??

Either way it feels good to put a little time into the Commander!!

·
Registered
266 Posts
@dar124 what paint did you use? hoping to do the rails this week, I bought the VHT krinkle coat.
I used this same paint both last time and this time. It worked good last time, I just think I didnt do good enough prep on the rails before painting them and that's why they started peeling. So this time, I made sure I cleaned them really good after sanding them down. It's also a bit "glossier" than I'd want it to be. But overall I'm happy with them.

Tire Automotive tire Light Drink Cylinder

Bottle Tin Fluid Liquid Alcoholic beverage

·
Registered
2008 Jeep Commander
19 Posts
I replaced my resistor for the blower fan today. About a ten minute job with a flashlight and #20 Torx. I added about 8" of extensions to make it easier. Just 2 screws and a plug, I paid $16.95 for the resistor. I also purchased a clutch fan. I want better cooling and I am not confident in the e-fan so I am adding a clutch fan to the water-pump (new) but I am having trouble finding the fan blades for it. My commander never came with a clutch fan, only the e-fan so I need both but of course they do not list a fan for it, just the clutch,!? If anyone has some info on this let me know, there is an old thread from 2014 but it had little info.

·
Registered
2006 4.7L
262 Posts
I replaced my resistor for the blower fan today. About a ten minute job with a flashlight and #20 Torx. I added about 8" of extensions to make it easier. Just 2 screws and a plug, I paid $16.95 for the resistor. I also purchased a clutch fan. I want better cooling and I am not confident in the e-fan so I am adding a clutch fan to the water-pump (new) but I am having trouble finding the fan blades for it. My commander never came with a clutch fan, only the e-fan so I need both but of course they do not list a fan for it, just the clutch,!? If anyone has some info on this let me know, there is an old thread from 2014 but it had little info.
The fan and clutch were part of the towing package.

761 - 780 of 799 Posts