Jeep Commander Forum banner
781 - 799 of 799 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Commander Limited 4.7 130,000 miles
60 Posts
@fshnbob ;

A spacer lift maintains the stock ride quality, because all of the stock suspension components are still being used, if that makes sense.

A typical spacer lift, like the 2 inch Rough Country Lift, will raise you up about 2 inches & level you out. and get rid of the nose-down rake, that most people don't seem to care for.

Last time I checked, it was less than $200.00
The set-up I have now allows me to drive 20 mph faster on the same washboard road that was shaking me to the bone before. The rubber spring buffers allow the springs and struts to work together. I know now, why they have been used on race cars for years. Helps the suspension by smoothing out the many quick compressions that happen on rough pavement and unpaved washboard or gravel roads. The rubber blocks are just an easy way to gain that extra 1/2" leveling lift.

·
Registered
2008 Jeep Commander
19 Posts
Perfect, I appreciate that. My wife just loves her Jeep, and I do too. We have owned it for 12 years and will never get rid of it so I dont mind going the extra mile to keep it going. That said, before I started a very large project this year replacing a broken valve spring and several other parts including the radiator, water pump, belt tensioner and coils, I had no idea that parts would be that difficult to source. Thanks again for the info.

·
Registered
2008 Jeep Commander
19 Posts
FYI I tried that using my VIN, currently it says it has 0 Commanders and that "New account creation is temporarily unavailable. " I will try again if a few days.

·
Super Moderator
2006 Commander Limited, 5.7 Hemi QD2
2,219 Posts
FYI I tried that using my VIN, currently it says it has 0 Commanders and that "New account creation is temporarily unavailable. " I will try again if a few days.
The VIN number MUST mach EXACTLY what is on the commander - Case sensitive.

Reactions: Couch

·
Registered
2006 4.7L
262 Posts
Perfect, I appreciate that. My wife just loves her Jeep, and I do too. We have owned it for 12 years and will never get rid of it so I dont mind going the extra mile to keep it going. That said, before I started a very large project this year replacing a broken valve spring and several other parts including the radiator, water pump, belt tensioner and coils, I had no idea that parts would be that difficult to source. Thanks again for the info.
Get familiar with Rockauto for parts.

·
Registered
2008 Jeep Commander
19 Posts
I have looked at rock auto and they do have great prices and inventory but for the Commander they are still out of stock on a lot of items. I suppose that is more of a drop in manufacturing and supply chain issue though.

·
Registered
2008 Jeep Commander
19 Posts
I added my coolant to the bleed screw hole at the engine side of the top radiator hose first, then topped the radiator and then the overflow, in the next few days I had to add maybe a cup or two a day and then it seems to have stabilized. These things are tough to get the air out of. On mine, the overflow tube at the radiator had no clamp and I noticed a small drip there, so I added a clamp, I am also adding a clutch fan, my jeep never had one and I do not trust the electrical fan after 180K.

·
Registered
2006 4.7L
262 Posts
I added my coolant to the bleed screw hole at the engine side of the top radiator hose first, then topped the radiator and then the overflow, in the next few days I had to add maybe a cup or two a day and then it seems to have stabilized. These things are tough to get the air out of. On mine, the overflow tube at the radiator had no clamp and I noticed a small drip there, so I added a clamp, I am also adding a clutch fan, my jeep never had one and I do not trust the electrical fan after 180K.
Pretty much how I do mine. Usually takes about 3 days to get the level under the plug to stabilize.
Having the towing package, I have both fans. No problems with either after 17 years. Other than basic wear items, it's been pretty dependable. Hope I didn't just jinx it.

·
Premium Member
Dallas TX
696 Posts
I bought one of the "special" funnels seemed to work pretty well.. run it for about 20 min with the heater on, revved it a bit then closed it all up..

·
Premium Member
Dallas TX
696 Posts
I had a thermostat "lock" closed. it was a "murray" unit that was replaced about 6 mos ago when i had the timing cover off. I have ordered a mopar unit to replace it, just another weird thing these things have in store for us

·
Registered
2006 Limited 5.7 QDll 146k miles
244 Posts
Fitted 4 Pirelli Scorpion winter tyres.
Used with about 7mm of tread on each of them thanks to the bay of e.
Got the lot including fitting and delivery for £300.
Bargain.
What size tire do you run on your Commander?

·
Registered
2006 4.7L Sport, QT-II 4WD
266 Posts
I have also been wanting to try to polish up my headlights as they have gotten a bit foggy. I was at my parents place a couple days ago and my Dad recently picked up some TR3 Resin Glaze and had good results using it on his headlights. Although, his were on a newer car and werent in as bad shape. But I borrowed their buffer and fingers crossed I went at it!!

Head lights before.

View attachment 44655

View attachment 44656

Head lights after.

View attachment 44657

View attachment 44658

I was hoping these would turn out better. I do think there is some improvement, but not as much as I thought there would be. The TR3 Resin Glaze does seem to be good stuff with a lot of good reviews. I even watched this video where he only buffed it by hand and seemed to get good results. But I guess a little improvement isnt bad for the first time working on these since 2006!! Maybe a 2nd or 3rd time buffing them will get them a little better each time??

Either way it feels good to put a little time into the Commander!!
It's been a few months and I really wasnt happy with the results from my last attempt at this. So I looked online a bit for an actual kit to polish up these headlights. I ended up getting the CERAKOTE Ceramic Headlight Restoration Kit It had alot of great reviews and also a Lifetime Warranty!!

It was a really simple 3 Step process. 1. Clean the lights, 2. Wet sand the lights, 3. Apply their clear ceramic coating.

Everything was included in the kit and it required no tools. I did watch a few YouTube videos for some additional info / suggestions. They only thing I did that the instructions didnt list was to tape off the headlights so I didnt have any issues with the paint around the lights either from sanding or getting the coating on the paint. The instructions also state that one kit does 1 car (2 headlights). But I also did some work on my fog lights. I figured I was there, cleaning sanding, etc I might as well try to get them. They turned out great as well!!

I'm 100% happy with how it turned out. The passenger side light (the ones in all the pics) is like brand new. The drivers side probably could have been sanded a bit more, but it's 95% better and I'm not gonna complain.

Rectangle Font Electric blue Soil Automotive exterior

Before Pics

Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Hood Automotive exterior Automotive design

Automotive parking light Tire Wheel Automotive tire Hood

Automotive parking light Vehicle Car Automotive tire Automotive lighting

First Step of Cleaning the Lights

Hand Sleeve Wood Collar Finger

Second Step After Wet Sanding

Automotive lighting Hood Automotive design Motor vehicle Automotive exterior

Third Step After Applying Ceramic Coating

Automotive parking light Automotive tail & brake light Grille Automotive lighting Automotive tire

Automotive parking light Automotive tail & brake light Grille Automotive tire Vehicle

·
Registered
244 Posts
Got new shoes for the Commander today... 5 Bridgestone Dueler AT 255 75 17s that were taken off a new Bronco. 500$ mounted balanced... out the door.

Reactions: dar124

·
Registered
244 Posts
It's been 4 years since I gave my wheels, door guards and fender flairs a black paint update (originally chrome and fenders were silver)... so they're now as black as can be again.

781 - 799 of 799 Posts