8,736 Posts

· Registered
2006 Commander Limited 4.7 130,000 miles
96 Posts
Reactions: Stircrayzy

· Registered
2006 4.7L Sport, QT-II 4WD
277 Posts
I had my Commander in the shop a month or so ago for a tune up and a few smaller things. They do a quick inspection before any work and they told me I needed all new brakes and a couple suspension items up front. I didnt have them do either of those as it was more money than I had at the time and I figured I could tackle both of those things myself for ALOT cheaper!!

Over the past couple of weeks, I ordered four new rotors, caliper pins, boots and some brake lube all for around $220. I have the lifetime pads from Auto Zone so I went up and swapped them for new "free" pads. For a while I've just been replacing the pads as I do misc work when the tires and brakes need to be removed. So I knew the rotors were way beyond their lifespan!! I figured if I was doing everything I might as well replace the boots and get some actual brake lube.

This past weekend I got to it and set myself up with new brakes all around. I was glad I did this when I did. The rotors were bad and obviously the pads were worn down too!! They werent all like that 2nd picture, but still ... With brakes slowly wearing, you sometimes dont realize how bad they are until you've got brand new ones on!!

My brother and I even had a little helper!!

Electric blue Font Box Electronics accessory Packaging and labeling

Road surface Asphalt Tool Kitchen utensil Flooring

Bottle Automotive tire Wood Drinkware Gas

Cat Hood Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design

Automotive tire Vehicle brake Wheel Wood Alloy wheel

· Registered
2006 4.7L
392 Posts
I had my Commander in the shop a month or so ago for a tune up and a few smaller things. They do a quick inspection before any work and they told me I needed all new brakes and a couple suspension items up front. I didnt have them do either of those as It was more money than I had at the time and I figured I could tackle both of those things myself for ALOT cheaper!!

Over the past couple of weeks, I ordered four new rotors, caliper pins, boots and some brake lube all for around $220. I have the lifetime pads from Auto Zone so I went up and swapped them for new "free" pads. For a while I've just been replacing the pads as I do misc work when the tires and brakes need to be removed. So I knew the rotors were way beyond their lifespan!! I figured if I was doing everything I might as well replace the boots and get some actual brake lube.

This past weekend I got to it and set myself up with new brakes all around. I was glad I did this when I did. The rotors were bad and obviously the pads were worn down too!! They werent all like that 2nd picture, but still ... With brakes slowly wearing, you sometimes dont realize how bad they are until you've got brand new ones on!!

View attachment 45170

View attachment 45171

View attachment 45172

View attachment 45173

View attachment 45174
Looking good. I hope your supervisor agrees
I bought a set of rotors long time ago. Swap them out when I do the brakes, then get the old ones turned and back on the shelf for the next time. Goes much faster that way.

· Registered
2006 Limited 5.7 QDll 146k miles
256 Posts

View attachment 45173

And they say it's hard to find good help these days!!?? LOL

Reactions: dar124

· Registered
2006 4.7L
392 Posts
Fun in the snow last night !
Gotta watch out for those light poles, they'll jump out in front of you.
We're having fun in the snow too.
Snow all week through Sunday, single digit highs, - temps at night.
But the wood stove is going and a roast is in the crock pot.
It's all good.

· Administrator
2008 XK Sport 4.7L V-8 QT-II 4WD 104,xxx Miles
8,736 Posts

· Registered
06 _ 5.7L _QD2 _ 142k _ 5100s 2.5" _ 265x70x17 _ stock wheels
332 Posts
When we first started, i was able to get a nice smooth transition right around it. Then I started getting grip in places ive already cleared, so it got tough predicting throttle/momentum required.

· Registered
2006 Commander Limited 4.7 130,000 miles
96 Posts
Fun in the snow last night !
I used to do this at my workplace with a smooth tire forklift and wet pavement my boss caught me and asked what I was doing? I told him just practicing maintaining control on a wet floor. He just said be careful and I did and guess who he called first when we had flooding in the warehouse and needed product moved out!

· Administrator
2008 XK Sport 4.7L V-8 QT-II 4WD 104,xxx Miles
8,736 Posts
I used to do this at my workplace with a smooth tire forklift and wet pavement my boss caught me and asked what I was doing? I told him just practicing maintaining control on a wet floor. He just said be careful and I did and guess who he called first when we had flooding in the warehouse and needed product moved out!
This guy

· Registered
2006 Limited 5.7 QDll 146k miles
256 Posts

LOL!!!

· Registered
2006 4.7L
392 Posts
Well, I just used mine to pull a 1 ton GMC with a dual axle trailer out of the ditch and up my driveway.
He was delivering my new toilet and slid off into the ditch and drift.
Put the Jeep in 4 low to get out of the garage and through the drifts, up the hill to the house.
Then, I used it to pack down the snow so he could turn around.
Definitely getting studded tires for next winter.

821 - 835 of 835 Posts