Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Looks good! I like the price. I believe that any of the 2 - 2.5" lifts out there are really similar and you will be happy with any of them.

Basically they all have poly spacers for the rear and steel spacers for the front. Some with shocks, some without. Basically it comes down to price.

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
Ditto what jcoulter stated. $149 is a real good price. Plan on at least replacing the rear shocks if you don't want them to top out.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ditto what jcoulter stated. $149 is a real good price. Plan on at least replacing the rear shocks if you don't want them to top out.
Sounds like a plan. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Looks good!

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
130 Posts
I was actually going to get that lift but the auto shop that was going to do my lift and tires talked me into getting the pro comp lift, it was highly recommended since they do almost all the lift work in the county. I spent an extra $50 for the pro comp, and no complaints.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Any additional feedback on this lift? I will be ordering a lift in the next 3 weeks and this is currently at the top of my list (of what I can afford).

·
Registered
6 Posts
It's a decent lift...need to grind the tops of the existing strut bolts in order for the spacers to seat flush, make sure to center the rear springs and/on the isolators when bringing the load back on (axle back up) and a spring compressor for the driver rear will make things easier and eliminate the need to unbolt the LCA from that side.

Took me about 5 hours to do the whole thing (I have the compressor in my toolbox).

Pics here: http://www.jeepcommander.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8403&page=4

·
Registered
186 Posts
I don't know much about the Rough Country lift other than my brother had one installed on his 2000 Cherokee and hated the ride - but that could have been from a number of other factors with his project as a whole. For what it's worth, Rocky Road's website makes this statement......"We also include a full steel outer strut spacer for the front suspension. This lift component mounts outside of the factory strut and so avoids stiffening the suspension. Any kits you might stumble across that use an inside strut spacer will stiffen the vehicle so much as to make this ride quality very uncomfortable. We tried the internal spacer design with the IFS Jeep strut system and absolutely hated the ride quality. The exterior strut setup doesn't pre-load your spring, so you get full smooth factory ride quality with no worries on ball joint or control arm complications."

This system apparently does not require the strut to be disassembled.

I just ordered this RR 2.25" lift and was happy enough with the price: $296 with shocks, $205 without. From what I've read, you will want to replace the shocks - stock shocks may be limited in their travel and may top out - the RR shocks are longer to avoid that problem.

My 2 cents.......................

·
Registered
6 Posts
The Rough Country is the same with "outboard spacers" for the struts. The difference is the rear. Instead of ?derlin? spacers on top of the coils, it uses steel perch relocators for same effect. The ride quality is excellent and no chance of the spacers cracking as some other early coil-top kits reported.

I mentioned the concern with the perch relocators and if I intended to seriously offroad this vehicle, I would use taller coils and suffer a bit stiffer ride to get away from spacer/alignmnet problems when flexing the rear. I have seen spacer setups spring right out of the rear when on trail!!!

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Just installed my Rough Country 2" lift this morning. It took just over two hours. I work in a collision shop and did the job at work, so I had one of our techs do it and I helped. He is VERY experianced and we had every tool that you could imagine, so it was a piece of cake.It did level the Jeep out nicely.

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
Looking good there Smitty!!! Now that you've got the lift, do you plan on joining us in Rausche Creek this month?

·
Premium Member
12,578 Posts
Looks even better then the last time I saw it!

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
No, unfortunately I wont make it to RC. Cant wait for the camp in August though! Thanks Jon , every time I see pics of yours I get more inspired.:)

·
Registered
135 Posts
8000+ miles logged on mine so far, no problems.

One thing- check the alignment when you're done. I had a slight bit of toe in after the lift. Just enough to give me a little uneven tire wear and it got a little squirelly on washboard gravel roads.

Ian

·
Registered
9 Posts
Just finished installing the 2" rough country kit on my 2006 xk. Went fairly well, this was my first ever lift but the instructions were right on. As was stated earlier here, removal of the drivers side rear LCA had to be unbolted due to the gas tank being in the way and not allowing enough travel. I had to work a little to get the fronts back in as it is a little tight but muttering a few choice words helped. You do have to cut off or grind down the stock strut bolts to get the spacers to seat but it's only the nipple and not the threads so no big deal. Because I put Silent Armors on in 265/65/17 I also had to install spacers. I called a couple of places and could not find any spidertrax in stock but a guy from 4WD Hardware talked me into buying rugged ridge spacers. More expensive and made Taiwan which I didnt know or would not have ordered them. But they do seem to be a quality made hub centric spacer that measures 13/8". Did not come with loctite but I had some of the new red gel that seems to work alot better than the old liquid that drips all over. Anyway, put it all together in about 8 hours or so, took it for a test drive about 60 miles and then pulled the wheels and checked the torque. Nothing had moved. The addition of these mods do not appear to have affected the ride at all, steering wheel is still centered and vehicle does not drift or pull at all. Checked my speedometer against the gps and the speedo is 1.3 mph slower. Not a big deal to me. Before and after pics in gallery section. Hopes this helps Oh and I did have to trim the front plastic wheel wells and bend over the pinch weld. Sprayed it with bed liner coating and it looks decent.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Does the RR lift level out the Commander?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts