Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found someone willing to give, yes free, me 5 Goodyear Wrangler SR-A 255/75/17 tires (only 250 miles on them), what do you guys think of these tires? I have to go really cheap with the new addition to the family so those with my 2" terra flex lift, would these be a decent setup?

Thanks for the input!!!!!

·
Registered
2,405 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
spacers for 255 tires I thought 255/75/17 were safe from needing spacers? How are those tires for wheeling? Compare those to the stock units I have now.

Thanks for the input

·
Premium Member
12,559 Posts
Those are the exact tires I am running (off a wrangler) I have the 2.25 lift, 1.5" spacers & trimming of wheel well.

·
Premium Member
12,559 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Oh I was under the understanding that 255/75/17 only need to have the pinch weld pounded down and no spacers. So the widest size one can go without spacers are the 245 width tires.

Why is it that 255/70/17 don't rub on the bolt when 255/75/17 do? I thought the only difference in the tire is the height? I have to do some investigating on the XK this evening.

How good are these tires for off roading????? Or should I just keep the stock Fortera's?

·
Premium Member
12,559 Posts
How good are these tires for off roading????? Or should I just keep the stock Fortera's?
The difference off road is night and day. The stock fortera's will be toast if you do any real off road driving (I don't mean a dirt road). The BFG's are made for off road.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
The tires Im looking at getting are Goodyear Wranglar SR-A 255/75/17's not BFG'sI think you are thinking of a different string

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
The tires Im looking at getting are Goodyear Wranglar SR-A not BFG's 255/75/17's I think you are thinking of a different string
Firstjeep,
I have Goodyear Wrangler but they are Silent Armour not SR-A. I believe the SR-A's are a good all terrain tire. And they're free, so what the heck. But you would have to get the wheel spacers and would have to trim.

Just google Goodyear Wrangler SR-A or look at Goodyear's site and they'll tell you all about them. Should be a good off-road/on-road tire I think.

If you have good tread left on your Fortera's you could either sell them or run them until they wear down enough to need replacing.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
The reason a 255/70R17 will work without spacers but the 255/75R17 requires spacers is because the 75's are in inch taller then the 70's. With that being said you wont clear the ball joint bolt without spacers.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I was hoping I wouldn't need spacers. How much of the bolt do I need to remove to make them work?

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
The first 1/4 inch or so of the ball joint bolt doesnt have threads, so I guess you could just cut that off. Depending on the tread width of the tire you still might not clear the bolt. You might just have to test it out and see what happens.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
Worse case senerio you could always order a 1/4 wheel spacer from http://wheeladapter.com/ I believe you could get it hub/wheel centric, youd have to ask though. It would be a lot cheaper then buying a 1.5 inch spacer and you could fit it on your oem studs.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts