Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got my tint done today and it looks pretty good. A very close match to the stock galaxy glass (went with the metalized film which has a slight shimmer to it...). This was my first time going someplace where they used a plotter to cut the film. Took like 35 minuted total and it looks great (minus the moisture bubbles that will dry up once the weather warms).

Driving down the interstate (had to drive about 35 miles to this place) I noticed something on the outside of the glass by the weatherstripping - the lower one by your mirror... the installer melted a 1/2" area with the nose of the heat gun. You can see where the angled tip of the heat gun melted the rubber.

So - do you think I should complain and have them repair it? I honestly think it would do more damage ripping the original part off then installing a new one.

Thanks.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Bummer that happened.

A pic would help...

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
let me read how to post one up. going to take one now.

all in all you would never notice it - however i am a perfectionist, so...

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
the only fixing is to replace it, and i agree that they would not be able to fix it to my liking.

sad thing is i was going to have them do my paint protection (3M film - like Xpel) as well.

·
Premium Member
12,559 Posts
08XKLimited said:
the only fixing is to replace it, and i agree that they would not be able to fix it to my liking.

sad thing is i was going to have them do my paint protection (3M film - like Xpel) as well.
If they agree to replace then they are a good shop to do business wiht and I would give them the paint protection job too. You will never know if you don't ask. Maybe a discount on paint protection?

·
Registered
5,598 Posts
I think the first thing to do is give them the chance to fix it, repair, replace....chances are they would like make it better so they get the referrals. If they don't know, they cant fix it.....

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i agree. i talked to the installer and all he could say was "you looked at the windows before you left"

yes, the windows - inside a bay under florescent lights.

i did not see the burn in the rubber until i was in oblique sunlight on the highway.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Sux that was his first response. Maybe give the parts dept a call and see exactly how much your looking at. Is it a simpe install? If the total cost is not that big a deal, maybe he'll have a change of heart.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
i would think it is just held on by some 3M auto trim adhesive. looks like you have to pull at least the mirror to get to the one end though.

honestly, this is something i would usually do myself, but considering the vehicle is new i will have the dealer do it and not the installer. i think that they should cover parts and labor and let the dealer do it.

?

·
Super Moderator
15,175 Posts
On a brand spanking new vehicle I would be so pissed ! Make the window tint guy fix it.

·
Registered
163 Posts
1st call Jeep and see how much is the part going to cost.
2nd Call the tint shop
3rd Is going to be the important one. What are they going to do to solve the issue.
4th Would are you going to want. Refund,price of the part and who is going to install it. OR just replace and install the part.

Good luck

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
4 - i would prefer they provide a discount on the paint protection i think. i don't like the idea of ripping up a brand new vehicle.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Any buisness who wishes to remain in buisness would make this right!

·
Registered
717 Posts
I replaced those strips on my Grand Cherokee...they were notorious for rotting....they were about $35 a piece if I remember correctly

·
Premium Member
2,262 Posts
Orrr, just take it out in the woods and say the damage came from a rock - or tree! Gives it personality! =)

·
Registered
166 Posts
I agree with it being a brand new vehicle I would want it fixed and they should offer you a discount in the amount it will cost to be fixed or pay the dealer to fix it. The pictures make it look very ugly.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Jeeper64 said:
I replaced those strips on my Grand Cherokee...they were notorious for rotting....they were about $35 a piece if I remember correctly
were they clipped in or adhesive on?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts