Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 203 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Is anyone using their XK to tow a travel trailer? I have a lightweight camper (4,200 lbs empty) that I would like to tow. We do not own a XK yet, but we are looking to own a family-sized SUV. Our Jeep Liberty with the 3.7L can tow the camper but I think the Hemi would be much more equipped. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
A commnder with the tow package and a Hemi will tow that camper like a dog towing a flea.

GET the tow package though .. adding the tow hitch after is not as good .. the tow package comes with other options that help big time.

·
2,248 Posts
I routinely tow a trailer with a race car on it. It probably weighs about 4,500 lbs. I use a weight distibuting hitch with equalizing bars. You would be safer to also have a brake controller to use the trailer brakes.

Here are a few pictures:

When we moved my "Man Cave" workshop we put it on the same trailer and called it "The REdneck Travel Trailer:

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
I routinely tow a trailer with a race car on it. It probably weighs about 4,500 lbs. I use a weight distibuting hitch with equalizing bars. You would be safer to also have a brake controller to use the trailer brakes.

Here it a picture:
I'm not seeing any pic!!!

·
2,248 Posts
Crzcajun,

You are just too fast. I had to get the pictures from my Photobucket album.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I tow a Trailmanor 3326 with my XK which is about 26’ long. I have the 4.7 and it tows it without any problems. The dry weight of the camper is around 3,500 lb and when I pull it with weight it is probably around 4,500 lb. I also attached a trailer hitch on the front bumper so I can attach a hitch hauler. I use the hitch hauler to carry firewood or when I bring my boat on the roof of the XK I put the motor and gas tank on it. I have a Prodigy brake controller and a Equalizer hitch.

·
Premium Member
12,578 Posts
I have a 10 foot box trailer:

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Thanks for all the promising reports! Does anyone make an aftermarket rear bumper with a built-in hitch receiver? That's good to know that the 4.7 can tow pretty well. Although, I would think the Hemi would be a noticeable step-up in performance.

·
Premium Member
64 Posts
I routinely tow a FunFinder X-210 WBS, yours looks pretty close to mine, though, lighter in weight . 21' box, 24' bumper to tongue at around 6600 lbs. loaded for the road. Have an Equalizer hitch and a Prodigy P3 brake controller along with the factory tow package. I do, however, have the Hemi version and it tows perfectly, up hill and down. You'll know you're towing on the hills with the 4.7, but, you should be fine if you keep in mind you're not out to set speed records :icon_cheers:

·
Registered
181 Posts
We tow a [email protected] Even though it only weighs 2000lbs loaded, I have noticed a huge difference between how it towed with the Dakota (4.7L) and how it tows with the Commander (5.7L). It is particularly noticeable on hills or when there is a headwind. Fuel economy (12 mpg mixed mountains/hills) is the same between the two.

Attachments

·
Registered
602 Posts
I have the 4.7 and will be towing my wife's 350Z to Vegas from Houston. I have to check the weight of that car with the trailer but I don't see it being a problem after reading this thread. :)

·
Registered
451 Posts
Nothing big, just a 32' camper trailer almost 8,000# loaded to the max. That doesn't include the 7 people and a dog in the commander!

·
Premium Member
2,629 Posts
Here is one of the things that I tow on a semi-regular basis. Sorry the first pic is kinda dark but you get the idea in the second pic.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I've got the 3.7 and tow an open trailer as well as a 10' box trailer. No problems with it yet but I would recommend at least the 4.7 if not the 5.7. My next commander will have the 5.7 for sure!

·
Registered
48 Posts
It's good to see all of the heavy hauling is possible. I just bought a new 2007 Limited with the class IV towing package and the Hemi. I have a 28" Jay Feather with a pop out. "6800 lbs" I'm thinking my first mods will be an AeroTurbine muffler, 3030L it incorporates a resonator with the technology of the AT330 into one unit, and a hypertec programmer. I also read on this site something about removing the snorkel? What are your thoughts?

·
Premium Member
2,629 Posts
Here is my XK with my trailer behind. The trailer is my baby. I don't use it for much because it is too big and I am so worried about breaking it. I built it myself and it is a 21'. I use it to haul my wife's CJ around.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
I use it to haul my wife's CJ around.
Why not just tow the CJ with the Transfer case in netral and a tow bar ...

I have 5 Geo/Suzuki Sidekick/Trackers and I have them all rigged up for the tow bar ... I've towed them at 65 MPH for 100 miles and no problems.

·
Premium Member
2,629 Posts
Why not just tow the CJ with the Transfer case in netral and a tow bar ...

I have 5 Geo/Suzuki Sidekick/Trackers and I have them all rigged up for the tow bar ... I've towed them at 65 MPH for 100 miles and no problems.
When we are not going to be camping then I flat tow the CJ. When we go to camp I take the trailer to haul gear and use the trailer as a deck/patio.

1 - 20 of 203 Posts