Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I go to check the air pressure in my tires and decide to add some.

Pressures were down to about 32 - 33 psi.

I stop at a gas station and plunk in my 75 cents, give the handle a test squeeze and water comes shooting out. Had I not done the test squeeze I probably would have filled a tire with some water.

The water stopped coming out and I start filling the left rear. The built in guage would not go past 30 psi so I kept filling.

The sound I heard was not air going in the tire but coming out. The @#$&@#$% thing was off before I even placed the hose on the valve stem!

I would have been okay with that except I just spent money to let the air out of my tire.

I can't believe it costs the gas station more than a nickle per tire to maintain an air pump. It's not even a compresser.

I think I will buy my own air chuck and use the compresser at work from now on.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Air here is usually free but you have to go let the attendant know that you need it and typically need to go back in at least once if not twice to get it turned on again to get through all four tires.

·
Banned
1,397 Posts
Fohn_Jargo said:
I can't believe it costs the gas station more than a nickle per tire to maintain an air pump. It's not even a compresser.
It's not a compressor? How do you think they get the required PSI to fill a tire?

·
Registered
512 Posts
oh yeah, this is one of by biggest pet peeves, those little pumps are just about useless,i think my daughters 1 gal aquarium pump has more air pressure than those. we have 1 gas station here that has a real air line and no charge for it (although his fuel prices are more!)i guess thats why they dont call them "service stations" anymore:D

·
Registered
588 Posts
I havent used air at a gas station in years. My TJ has a powerful air compressor that I usually use and in the event something happens away from home I have a small air compressor that plugs into the cigarette lighter that suffices, though slow. Better then nothing though. john

·
Registered
258 Posts
I agree, those cheap station owners that want money for a little air and water. Especially after you buy $60 in gas. I have one solution here in DFW....

Quick Trip. Free air and water for all.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts