Jeep Commander Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
So you mark the shaft and the flange to make sure it lines up correctly and you don't get a vibrations or noise. Did you mark both and line it up 100% or only mark one? I'm chasing gremlins in my rear now haha. Growling grindy metal scrapey sound from right rear lol.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
So you mark the shaft and the flange to make sure it lines up correctly and you don't get a vibrations or noise. Did you mark both and line it up 100% or only mark one? I'm chasing gremlins in my rear now haha. Growling grindy metal scrapey sound from right rear lol.
Well, I thought I had marked both. However, having never taken this shaft or one like it out before, my mark was actually all on the driveshaft side and I didn't realize it until reassembly. That said, I didn't notice anything mechanically different and everything lined up and fit back together smoothly. I was able to make sure it was put back together in the saem pattern based on the weathering of the metal. I guess if there is a balance issue that needs to be aligned with the yoke position, I could have messed that up. I would not guess the noise to be a balance issue. Then again, I'm here. I'm going to disconnect it again this weekend and look for anything obvious. I'll try putting back the old front bushing as well.

Growling gindy scrapey sound!?! Sounds like a bearing.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Sounds like either the pinion bearing going out or it's misaligned somehow. You could try jacking it up and just loosen the mount bolts and re-tighten. It may help but I think it's likely that driving it with the damaged bushing has stressed the bearing and/or the bearing bore.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Sounds like either the pinion bearing going out or it's misaligned somehow. You could try jacking it up and just loosen the mount bolts and re-tighten. It may help but I think it's likely that driving it with the damaged bushing has stressed the bearing and/or the bearing bore.
I think you are correct. I loosened and re-torqued the shaft with no change. There isn't any adjustment and with three mounting points, it's as lined up as it's gonna get. I think straightening everything back up and taking the slop out of it with new bushings is just highlighting a problem that had already started.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Wow, unless I got lucky on the position both times I didn't know the drivehsaft had to go back the same way. No vibration there. Mine came from a warn wheel bearing, wasn't even the diff. If it's the pinion bearing r, it would rumble and shake more on acceleration and get better coasting. If it were wheel bearings, it would get worse depending on which way the jeeps driving.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #26 (Edited)
Wow, unless I got lucky on the position both times I didn't know the drivehsaft had to go back the same way. No vibration there. Mine came from a warn wheel bearing, wasn't even the diff. If it's the pinion bearing r, it would rumble and shake more on acceleration and get better coasting. If it were wheel bearings, it would get worse depending on which way the jeeps driving.
I'm not really sure why the shaft needs to be marked and put back the in the exact same position. I was extra careful when I took it off the second time while investigating this problem. I didn't see anything obvious. The only thing I could think of was that maybe it had something to do with the differential position rather than the shaft itself, but what would that be?

Anyway. I'm fairly certain what I have is a scored/damaged pinion from the stress of the bad bushing. Once the stress was removed, the bearing had the room to whine. My mechanic has it now chasing a O2 sensor fault that isn't. He agrees.

Anyone ever dare to tear into a differential?

21 - 26 of 26 Posts