Jeep Commander Forum banner

What is behind Cubbie #1

4K views 19 replies 8 participants last post by  06commanderxk 
#1 · (Edited)
Uniden PRO538W Mounting Location

Can anyone tell me what is located behind this little cubbie that sits above the radio? I am thinking about mounting my CB (Uniden PRO538W) here. I have rulled out the cubbie by the drivers door, due to leg room restrictions, at 6'9" there just isn't a lot of room. Do you think I can get away with cutting this out and mounting a compact model in there.

2006 Limited
Boston Acoustics w/o NAV

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
Not trying to be a smarta$$, but I have a picture in the very first post along with my plans to mount a CB there. I haven't purchased one yet because I was hoping to get an idea of what kind of space I have behind that cubbie with the red arrow pointing to it.

The picture is displaying for me is it not showing up for anyone else?

#6 ·
No pic in first post.

#7 · (Edited)
cgriff54 said:
Not trying to be a smarta$$, but I have a picture in the very first post along with my plans to mount a CB there. I haven't purchased one yet because I was hoping to get an idea of what kind of space I have behind that cubbie with the red arrow pointing to it.

The picture is displaying for me is it not showing up for anyone else?

#8 · (Edited)
I have this picture in my Gallery and I have it set to public, since I can see the picture in post #1 but nobody else can I must be missing something.

I think I figured it out, I have 5 pictures in my gallery that are awaiting moderation, if I navigate to this post with a different browser (not logged in), the photo does not show up. I would wager that if my picture was approved by a moderator my picture would magically appear.

Sent a PM to a49erfan

#9 ·
Just tried to upload another picture and found this, I must have missed it before.

Epic fail on my part :brickwall:

Moderation Enabled
Your pictures will not be visible until approved by a moderator.

#13 · (Edited)
#11 ·
I don't know what is behind it but with the NAV system, there isn't a compartment and radio/screen take the whole space. I am assuming that means that you would be safe and there probably is some room back there. Sheer speculation on my part. Good luck!

#12 ·
First you should pull it off to see what is behind it. I can't imagine ther is anything of importance back there.

You obviously won't have an issue with the width of a CB. The issue is the height. It looks like it narrows towards the back. If you're ok with cutting the back of it I'd say go for it. Maybe try finding one at a junk yard first in case you mess it up.

Keep us updated if you decide to do it. I don't think anyone else has tried to put one there. Take lots of pictures as a how to for anyone else that may want to mount one there.

#16 ·
Okay, as soon as Sandy takes a hike I'll be ripping the Jeep apart to get some pictures, and possible start the install. I picked up a Uniden PRO538W on ebay this weekend and hope to have it here by the weekend. Still researching my antenna mounting options, I kind of want to go the fender mounting route, but am having trouble finding good info. There are several threads here but sadly the pictures are no longer available. I will talk good pictures and post them up when I'm done.

Attachments

#19 ·
why the hell its showing error whenever i try to upload the picture of mine through Photoshop post is there any technical error going on with itor there is default with my system
You don't have enough posts yet. I think you have to have 5 posts.

#20 ·
There is not a thing back there just a big empty space. All the commanders that don't come with factory navs have the cubby hole because the standard radios are half the size of the nav screens so they just put a cubby hole there to take up room. So there is room back there for you to do your mod I figured that out when I put my aftermarket kenwood nav screen in.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.