Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read 3 ways to fix the sunroof leaking issue. My question to y'all is which one works the best? Our drain tube has to be full of gunk as it leaks badly during car wash or heavy rains. Thanks in advance.

·
Super Moderator
5,763 Posts
...to fix the sunroof leaking issue. My question to y'all is which one works the best? Our drain tube has to be full of gunk as it leaks badly during car wash or heavy rains. Thanks in advance.
A leak that occurs during a heavy rain is not an slam dunk indicator of clogged sunroof drain tubes.

You have to figure out exactly what it is, that's causing your leak, before we can tell you what the best solution is;

Is it clogged sunroof drain tubes - or is it a bad sunroof seal?

Or does it have nothing at all to do with your sunroof? Could the leak be coming through the bolts that hold your factory roof rails in place? Or bad door seals/weather stripping on the driver's side door?

All four of these problems would show very similar symptoms during a heavy rain, which would be a wet headliner between the sunroof & the front windshield and/or a leak coming through the driver's side A-Pillar grab handle.

You have to verify/confirm definitively, what's causing your leak. Right now, to me, it sounds like you're just speculating.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Based on where it leaks (along the front only, near the top of windshield) I was assuming it was the clogged tube. I'll look into it and get back to you. Thank you.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well after a LOT of rain here in Vegas, not 1 drop leaked thru. Sure seems like it's the drain tube, as my friend that owned it before us had to clean it out some time back and said it likely needed done again.

·
Super Moderator
5,763 Posts
Well after a LOT of rain here in Vegas, not 1 drop leaked thru. Sure seems like it's the drain tube, as my friend that owned it before us had to clean it out some time back and said it likely needed done again.
So you had a lot of rain and not 1 drop leaked through; That doesn't sound like clogged drain tubes to me; If your drained tubes were really clogged, your interior should have been drenched - unless you were parked at an odd angle.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So you had a lot of rain and not 1 drop leaked through; That doesn't sound like clogged drain tubes to me; If your drained tubes were really clogged, your interior should have been drenched - unless you were parked at an odd angle.
Splendid. What's the next likely culprit?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The Jeep WAS parked at an upward angle fyi. The last car wash the wife drove through (she forgot about leak :-/ ) was obviously flat surface the water poured through where the 2 screws hold the drivers sun visor and 1 of the front dome lights.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts