Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trying to figure out what is the best combination of exchaust upgrade and cold air intake for a 4.7L the would give a good combo of power and fuel efficiency

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
For the money? Or budget be damned and I need the best of the best?

What maintenance has been done?

Many people want to do "upgrades" on a 100k mile vehicle and completely overlook the fact that it is far overdue on basic maintenance items that woiuld significantly improve performance or efficiency for less money. The problem is that it isnt as sexy to put in new plugs and clean the throttle body and replace the fuel filter as it is to put in a $300 intake that likely does nothing.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
All maintenance has been performed on this vehicle. Filter spark plugs fuel injection cleaning filter change.All services have been performed on time. 86,000 miles.

·
Super Moderator
5,763 Posts
All maintenance has been performed on this vehicle. Filter spark plugs fuel injection cleaning filter change.All services have been performed on time. 86,000 miles.
I have already bought this cat-back exhaust system & this cold air intake.

Exhaust Systems Cat-Back MACH Force-Xp 3" Cat-Back Stainless Steel Exhaust System w/Polished Tip; Jeep Commander 06-09 V8-4.7L (XK) (2WD & 4WD) 49-48052 - aFe Power

http://www.carid.com/afe-power/stage-2-cold-air-intake-system-with-pro-5r-air-filter-mpn-54-12602.html

I should pick up 20-30 hp between these 2 upgrades (and probably a couple of mpg's) which will put me in the HP range of a stock Hemi.

I will have it all installed in July when I arrive back conus.

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
I don't know the actual figures for different mods, modding Commanders for more power doesn't seem to be common enough that is any real good comparison of the different mods.

I'd suspect the Tuner Devices, that program different performance into the PCM, might be a your best power gain. And its cheaper. Purely a guess on my part, and I would believe someone who has tried the different mods and can advise you better. But I'd suspect the tuner device would produce more power than the CAI and CAT Back Exhaust.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
I have already bought this cat-back exhaust system & this cold air intake.

Exhaust Systems Cat-Back MACH Force-Xp 3" Cat-Back Stainless Steel Exhaust System w/Polished Tip; Jeep Commander 06-09 V8-4.7L (XK) (2WD & 4WD) 49-48052 - aFe Power

http://www.carid.com/afe-power/stage-2-cold-air-intake-system-with-pro-5r-air-filter-mpn-54-12602.html

I should pick up 20-30 hp between these 2 upgrades (and probably a couple of mpg's) which will put me in the HP range of a stock Hemi.

I will have it all installed in July when I arrive back conus.
30hp might be overly generous from a catback and intake on an otherwise stock 4.7L. Maybe if the tune were adjusted to take advantage of it.

Jeep Grand Cherokee Upgrades - Mo-Power For Our Mopar - 4-Wheel & Off-Road Magazine

·
Super Moderator
5,763 Posts
30hp might be overly generous from a catback and intake on an otherwise stock 4.7L. Maybe if the tune were adjusted to take advantage of it.

Jeep Grand Cherokee Upgrades - Mo-Power For Our Mopar - 4-Wheel & Off-Road Magazine
The factory that manufactures these items did dyno testing with these modifications and the numbers I'm quoting is what they say they have documented in their dyno tests.

20 hp is on the conservative side, 30 hp is probably with optimal tuning.

Realistically, it will probably fall somewhere in between.

If I pick up 20-25hp and an extra MPG or two with the improved airflow & exhaust, it will be money well spent.

IMO, that's a realistic expectation with these 2 mods installed from what I have researched and read.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
The factory that manufactures these items did dyno testing with these modifications and the numbers I'm quoting is what they say they have documented in their dyno tests.

20 hp is on the conservative side, 30 hp is probably with optimal tuning.

Realistically, it will probably fall somewhere in between.

If I pick up 20-25hp and an extra MPG or two with the improved airflow & exhaust, it will be money well spent.

IMO, that's a realistic expectation with these 2 mods installed from what I have researched and read.
Yeah, I typically don't trust manufacturer claims. They have a vested interest in making those numbers look better, they certainly show best case scenario at the least. I could see around 20 @ peak though.

According to Hypertech my tune on an otherwise stock vehicle gets me +25 HP with a 3.7L! Its @ nearly 6k rpms though. It sure as hell doesnt feel like it has almost 25% more power haha

http://www.hypertech.com/PerformanceGraphs/Dodge/3_7L_2004_2010_Dodge_Jeep_Mitsubishi_Truck_SUV_Tire_and_Gear_52501.pdf

·
Super Moderator
5,763 Posts
Yeah, I typically don't trust manufacturer claims. They have a vested interest in making those numbers look better, they certainly show best case scenario at the least. I could see around 20 @ peak though.

According to Hypertech my tune on an otherwise stock vehicle gets me +25 HP with a 3.7L! Its @ nearly 6k rpms though. It sure as hell doesnt feel like it has almost 25% more power haha

http://www.hypertech.com/PerformanceGraphs/Dodge/3_7L_2004_2010_Dodge_Jeep_Mitsubishi_Truck_SUV_Tire_and_Gear_52501.pdf
I really don't like the idea of screwing around with the engine's factory tune / ECU module.

More often than not, it causes more problems than it solves, particularly over the long term.

I'm sure there are people here that will sing the praises of after market tuners, I'm just not one of them.

What I am doing with the cat-back exhaust system & cold air intake system is making the engine breath better through natural aspiration.

It will help my fuel economy and give me a little extra HP.

Like I said, AFE claims a max gain of 17hp from the cold air intake and 12 hp from the cat-back exhaust system based on their dyno-test results.

I think a 20HP gain is a very realistic number from the combination of those 2 mods.

The extra bonus is, I am also getting rid of that ugly factory exhaust system.

That alone is worth it.

·
Super Moderator
5,763 Posts
Trying to figure out what is the best combination of exchaust upgrade and cold air intake for a 4.7L the would give a good combo of power and fuel efficiency
SO back to the original post this is what I went with on my 4.7L:

AFE (54-12602) Magnum Force Stage 2 Intake System with Pro 5R Filter;
http://www.carid.com/search/AFE+%2854--12602%29+Magnum+Force+Stage+2+Intake+System+with+Pro+5R+Filter./code-0732e906610ce1b2b98f872ba0167bc3

AFE MACH Force-Xp 3" Cat-Back Stainless Steel Exhaust System w/Polished Tip;
http://afepower.com/shop/details_new...artno=49-48052

·
Super Moderator
5,763 Posts
I really don't like the idea of screwing around with the engine's factory tune / ECU module.

More often than not, it causes more problems than it solves, particularly over the long term.

I'm sure there are people here that will sing the praises of after market tuners, I'm just not one of them.
Well, I certainly don't know it all and I have no problem admitting when I'm wrong.

After reading other users success with this tuner, I rolled the dice and gave it a shot - despite all of my skepticism.

I'm glad I did and I'm also happy to report that I was very wrong - the Superchips F5 Flashpaq (3874) works great.

First off when you get it, you have to go to superchips.com and download a program called "Ignition" which is the update program for the F5 Flashpaq programmer.

Once you download Ignition to your computer you connect your programmer via the USB Cable and register it.

Once you register it, it will ask you if you want to purchase an extended warranty for $37.00 which I did.

Once you accept or decline the warranty, you can check for updates - which I suggest you do before you use it; My F5 had 16 updates/files to download, which took about 10 minutes.

At this point, you can take it out to your vehicle and start playing.

When you hook it up to your Commander - you want to have the ignition on with the engine off/not running.

It will take about 5 minutes to download & read your Engine file - which was a little nerve racking for me because I was getting all kinds of trouble codes while it was doing this - "Check Gauges" "Service 4WD System" "Transmission Overtemp" but apparently this is normal while downloading the engine file, so, don't panic.

I went to change my tire size and to my surprise - the tire size was not listed as 24565R17 (for the stock tire size); It was listed as stock size "28.00" which is the tire height in inches as it turns out. I found a tire chart on my smart phone that listed the tire height of a 26570R17 as 31.6 inches. The F5 Flashpaq only allows you to adjust tire height in .25 inch increments so I changed mine to 31.5 inches which is about as close as you can get to 31.6 inches.

I drove around a little bit and the speedo seems accurate now, where it was about 3.5 - 4 mph off previously.

Somebody on this forum said they called Superchips and said that Superchips told them that you can disable the TPM sensors with this tuner. I am here to tell you that I don't think that's the case. I have not found an option to disable the TPM sensor, I have only found an option to adjust the tire pressure level which will determine when the TPMS warning light will illuminate. I don't see any option to completely disable it.

I also programmed my engine for the 93 octane performance tune. Once you finishing tuning your engine it will clear all of your DTC codes, just follow the prompts.

This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts