Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I've had my Jeep for a few months now and I think its time to upgrade the sound. Unfortunately, I have the 3.7 so there's not much to work with. After looking through the exhaust thread, I am left more confused than before. Basically, I want to upgrade the sound/look of the muffler coming out the back ("look" can probably be taken care of using simple muffler tips, but who knows. don't really mind how it looks like underneath, just the muffler end that shows). What I was wondering was what muffler would you guys recommend to make the 3.7 sound considerably meaner? I'm 19, have no kids, and am the only one who drives the car so noise doesn't bother me. Also, I would preferably like there to be 2 pipes coming out the back (I believe it's called dual outlet). Lastly, I would be taking this to a shop to be done, so the simpler the mod the easier on my wallet. Your suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the links man. I had read through those threads some time ago, and REALLY liked the dual muffler look AKFossil had (want mine to have the same look as his). The only thing is I wouldn't mind my muffler to sound considerably louder. I don't want it to sound like there is a hole in the muffler, but I do want it as loud as it gets. I heard the flowmaster super 44 is one of the loudest, but it seems to have only a single outlet. Also, don't know what would fit on the 3.7 when it comes to muffler size. Any ideas?

·
Registered
707 Posts
I believe any aftermarket muffler will work just fine, but you will have to add piping since the OE muffler is so long and most aftermarket mufflers are a lot shorter.

Check out nashmaximusoriya exhaust. I think his sounds the best, but he does have the 4.7L which probably sounds different than the 3.7L. He has a 22 inch long muffler. So if you like the tone of his exhaust, I would try to find a muffler similar in size.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HA5O-8iXWsA

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Bob. Will the Flowmaster Super 44 be louder than this one? Also, I noticed that the mufflers all come with different measurement for outlet and inlet. Which one is right for the commander? I want to buy the muffler online and then take it to a shop to install it along with any additional piping that it needs. To achieve the look Fossil had, I think I need to buy a muffler (whichever one I decide on, but most likely the Super 44) with a single inlet and dual outlets. Am I on the right track, or is there more to it than I think? Thanks again for all the help.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
The super 44 is the loudest muffler that flowmaster makes. Just get on with a single inlet and dual outlet and have the exhaust shop just run dual exhaust out the rear of the muffler.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Have you decided which muffler to get?
Thanks for all the help man, really appreciate it. After reading through all the muffler threads, I was pretty convinced on getting the Flowmaster super 44 with single inlet/dual outlet. The only thing is someone I play ball with mentioned that "Cherry Bomb" mufflers produced nicer sound than both Flowmaster and Magnaflow exhaust. So now I am back at square one...completely undecided lol. I will probably head down to the local Lou's Custom Exhaust shop and see if they can help me decide on whats best. BTW anyone deal with this shop before? Are they any good or just another overpriced custom shop?

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
Thanks for all the help man, really appreciate it. After reading through all the muffler threads, I was pretty convinced on getting the Flowmaster super 44 with single inlet/dual outlet. The only thing is someone I play ball with mentioned that "Cherry Bomb" mufflers produced nicer sound than both Flowmaster and Magnaflow exhaust. So now I am back at square one...completely undecided lol. I will probably head down to the local Lou's Custom Exhaust shop and see if they can help me decide on whats best. BTW anyone deal with this shop before? Are they any good or just another overpriced custom shop?
This is just my .02 but Cherry Bombs sound like crap compared to Flowmaster and Magnaflow.

·
Registered
707 Posts
I never heard a cherry bomb in person, but everyone says they are the loudest mufflers, hence the name. I would just get a Flowmaster or a Magnaflow muffler from Amazon.com since they are always doing deals on shipping.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
I never heard a cherry bomb in person, but everyone says they are the loudest mufflers, hence the name. I would just get a Flowmaster or a Magnaflow muffler from Amazon.com since they are always doing deals on shipping.
They are vey loud but sound horrible compared to other mufflers.

·
Premium Member
2,629 Posts
Avoid the cherry bomb. With the 3.7 you need something that will not only make it louder but it will also give it a nice tone. I have the 4.7 with the Super 44 and it sounds awesome and it is very very loud. Super 44 has my vote!

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I think you guys are right. I listened to some sound clips of a Cherry Bomb muffler on a 3.7L Liberty. I also heard clips of the Super 44 on a 3.7L Liberty. Night and day. The Cherry Bomb was loud, but in a way that made you think there was a hole in the muffler. The Super 44 not only had a nice rumble to it, but was arguably louder than the Cherry Bomb (in a good way). Flowmaster definitely won me over. It should turn out looking nice with two chrome tips coming out of the end (not to mention the great sound it will give off).

·
Registered
33 Posts
Has anyone done a cutout on the 3.7? The best sounding muffler I have seen on any car was the non-existent one. I know it is illegal to run on the streets with it, but they make remote switches that will open/close the cutout from inside the car. I would love a video clip if anyone has, or I may be the first to do it. Let me know if anyone has any experience with cutouts, I've never actually used one before. . . I just took the muffler off completely:)

·
Registered
14 Posts
I've got the 3.7L as well and am looking into piecing together a catback using the Dynomax Ultra-Flo #17236. It's same size as the stock muffler on the V6 except it's a 2.5" outlet. I found the individual part numbers for the intermediate pipe, tail pipe, and exhaust tip on rockauto.com. All are Dynomax parts and run about $100.

If you wanted you can change out the muffler to whatever you like, but you'd need to following measurements with the tubing above:
29 in overall length
24 in shell length
2 1/2" i.d./o.d.
offest/center inlet outlet

1 - 16 of 16 Posts