Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
it's getting close to the time to change diff fluid, and I will be doing it myself. I was wondering if anyone knows the approx. fluid capacity front/ rear so I don't run short in the middle of the job. BTW - Quadra drive II

·
Registered
588 Posts
Re: Oil capacity for front/rear diffs?

I dont remember without specifically looking it up but I am sure you will need to buy 4 qts (2 each). You'll likely have some leftover, but not enough to only buy 3. Dont forget the 4oz of Mopar fluid (forgot what its called) to add to each diff as you have limited slips in each differential. Also, I personally just use 75x140wt synthetic. john

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Thanks John, that info really helps ....:) Is the additive only by Mopar, or is there another brand? I am going to use royal purple in the front/rear diffs.

·
Registered
139 Posts

HEMI said:
Thanks John, that info really helps ....:) Is the additive only by Mopar, or is there another brand? I am going to use royal purple in the front/rear diffs.
Royal Purple Max-Gear High performance 75W-140 does not need additive and you can check it out on their website. I have had 3k miles aleady.

·
Registered
588 Posts

Yes, there are other brands, for instance AMSOIL makes their own. However, its such a minor thing probably simpler to just buy it from the dealer. Yes, its true most if not all Synthetics advertise its not necessary. Example AMSOIL as well as the post above. I dont use it in my wifes Grand which has a limited slip in the rear. Havent yet changed the fluid in my Commander so havent made up my mind. I dont see how it could hurt to use it though just to be sure, especially while its under warranty. john

·
Registered
147 Posts
Differential Capacity?

I'm a little past due for my differential service (20,000 miles on ODO) and wondered what the fluid capacity for them happens to be. Does anyone know? It's not listed in the owners manual, though it does specify what kind to use. I picked up six quarts of the Mobil synthetic 75w140 (GL5) as specified, but am not sure if that's enough or too much. The dealer is doing the service tomorrow as part of the oil change service contract they threw in for "free" when I bought the Commander. Any help is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
588 Posts
I cant say as to Commander as havent changed the differential fluid yet, but in my TJ which has a D30 front and D44 rear differential each take under 2 qts. these I believe are comparable to Commander axles so I would say 4 qts total should be enough. If you have limited slip differentials then also that 4 oz of additive must be put in to stop chattering. john

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
When I picked up the fluids at the dealer they gave me 4qts of oil and 2 4oz bottles of the additive. This was for both axels.

·
Registered
451 Posts
My commander has 25,000 on it. I bought it used with 21,000. I'm now wondering if that service was done..... I think it was a chrysler executive vehicle. I do get the 'judder' too when turning real sharp on dry pavement.
Creek- What did the fluids cost you?

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Creek- What did the fluids cost you?

I think is was around $75.00 for the fulids and then $75.00 to have a local garage change it. That is half what the dealer wanted to do it.

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
JJSEBASTIAN said:
Uh. Thanks... I'll do it with my next oil change.....

I forgot to mention I got my fluids at the jeep dealer when I had other work done so it shows up in their system.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Well, I will be doing my differential fluid change this weekend (I'm at 17K). I live in Memphis and called the local dealer to get the 75-140. They wanted just under $30/Qt! I'll order the Amsoil in the morning. With the additive, pump, tax, etc I will have just under $100 dollars in material (I'm going to order 5 Qts). Seems like a lot for a fluid change at home. Not sure if you guys have seen this, but there was some independent (?????) testing done on gear lube and Amsoil came out on top. I can forward if anyone wants the report. Have any of you done this yourselves and if so, did you take the rear diff cover off? Was it a pain or pretty straight forward? Lastly, as of about 6 Mo ago there were no aftermarket diff covers available for the JC, is this still the case?

·
Registered
588 Posts
you will be pleased with the AMSOIL SEVERE GEAR 75x140 fluid. I suggest you become a preferred customer, (costs $20 a year) then you buy at DEALER COST which saves plenty. I have used nothing but amsoil products now for 6 years on all 3 of our vehicles. Their oil and filters are splended as well. Dont forget you also need to add the friction modifier. If you bought their pump that screws onto the cap of the bottle, you'll find ITS GREAT. I've used several others and was unhappy, that one works swell. If you do take the differential cover off remember you will need to buy RTV BLACK at dealer (or comparable product) and CLEAN CLEAN CLEAN the edges that mate before reinstalling. While off, use lint free rags or shop towels and wipe up the inside. I usually spray WD-40 or similar product on gears and wipe them clean as I can.(DO NOT use brake cleaner to clean, too corrosive on seals) One advantage doing it yourself besides saving money is you can do a GOOD JOB of cleaning and not just drain and refill as shops will do. john

·
Registered
104 Posts
Thanks for the tip about the brake cleaner. I was planning on using that (as most of the web info refers to it), but thinking about it I agree; it would be very corrosive on the seals, I'll stick with WD-40. Yes, I will be getting the pump as well. It sounds like (from what I have read) that the transfer case fluid needs to be purchased from the dealer. Even the Amsoil site refers to it.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Differentials Done

I changed the fluid in both diffs this weekend. For those that care it was a very easy job. If you can change your own oil you can change these fluids. I was very happy that I did do the job myself (especially the rear diff). As we all know at the dealer they only suction out the fluid. Well the fluid itself was actually very clean (in both diffs), the color of maple syrup. However the stuff at the bottom of the reaer diff housing was dirty. There is a magnet in the bottom of the housing (you can see it if you look carefully at my pics). It was caked with 1/4 - 5/16 thick of this dust. Suction would never get this stuff out. For those of you that will be doing this you will need a 14mm hex key for the front diff. The bottom plug is easy buy the upper fill plug does not have enough clearance to get the socket & drive on. So as you can see from my pics I used a 14mm end wrench to take it off. A ratcheting box wrench would work nicely here but I don't have any... I was surprised about the metric socket screw, must indicate country of origin...???
The most time consuming part was cleaning the old RTV. I used Permatex Ultra Grey RTV. I called Permatex Tech Support and talked at length about the best product to use. Reasons for this choice are: Withstands the highest vibration, resistance to a wide varity of petro & syth oils, no re-torque required. You put it on, torque to spec (~30ft-lbs), fill after 2 hrs (I waited overnight).

1 - 20 of 37 Posts