Jeep Commander Forum banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
588 Posts
Very nice pics, I have a few questions:
1. Did you remove the spare tire to more easily work?
2. Did you put the vehicle up on jackstands or just work with it sitting on its tires?
3. I see you used the right product, thats what I use also, but did it take more then 4 qts TOTAL for both differentials?
John

·
Registered
104 Posts
Yes, I had to remove the spare to do the work, I also had to remove the forward skid plate to do the front diff. The vehicle sat on its tires. I did slightly jack each side to help drain any fluid that might be in the axles (I checked my drive w/ a 4ft level). It took just a few drops under 4 Qts (I bought 5 just in case, will save for next time). FYI ~ The Amsoil pump dispenses in 1 Oz shots. The Amsoil pump will likely only fit Amsoil Qts. I saved the cointainers for when I do my transfer case fluid (you have to use the OEM product). I put the whole 4 Oz of friction modifier in the rear diff, about 3 of the 4 Oz in the front diff (2 1/2 & 1 1/2 Qts of fluid respectively). If I had not added the friction modifier I would have used exactly 4 Qts of fluid. I poured the friction modifier right into the Qt bottles.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Thanks, you've given us all a lot of good information. Yes, the AMSOIL pump only screws onto their bottles. john

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just did the front and rear differential using dealer supplied Mopar diff fluid. I assume it has the needed additives although I don't have LSD.
I filled the front diff until it overflowed the fill hole they did the rear diff to 1/2 inch below the fill hole as indicated in the manual. I only used about 3.2 quarts not the four quarts everyone else seems to use? That bothers me. I did not tilt the car to get oil out of the axles but it was done on a level surface.
Any ideas why I can't get 4 quarts into the two diffs?

·
Administrator
15,531 Posts
vinsta said:
I just did the front and rear differential using dealer supplied Mopar diff fluid. I assume it has the needed additives although I don't have LSD.
No need to add LSD to the diffs.:D

·
Registered
588 Posts
If one vehicle is on a slant and the other is on a flat surface it will result in a different amount of fluid put into each respective differential. john

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks, John. When I changed mine, I had the Commander on a lift in my garage. It was about as level as I could get expect to get it without actually checking it with a bubble level. I was thinking that perhaps others are filling the rear differental up to the bottom of the fill hole rather than 1/2 inch below the fill hole. That could account for at least part of why I did not use a total of 4 quarts.

Lou

·
Registered
588 Posts
I know that your directions are as the manual says, but I wonder why. Every jeep I have ever owned BESIDES this Commander says fill up to bottom of fill hole. I usually just fill till it starts to run out, I wonder how you are sure you are exactly 1/2 inch below the fill hole?? john

·
Registered
3 Posts
John,
I used a makeshift dip stick. Using a small piece of cardboard bent at a right angle, I hooked it over the edge of the hole and verified the fluid was 1/2 inch below the edge. It's a very accurate check. I did it several times adding as needed until it was at the specified level.
I notice other have posted that they fill to the bottom of the hole. This does not agree with the owners manual.

Lou

·
Registered
137 Posts
Nitro Express said:
I filled mine to the bottom of the fill hole, till it started to run out.
That's the way to do it!

Also, depending on if there's inner axle seals by the rear diff or not, the capacity can vary if fluid is sitting in the tubes like I've experienced on the TJ...not sure about the Commanders rear axle??

·
Registered
6 Posts
Nitro Express said:
I changed the fluid in both diffs this weekend. For those that care it was a very easy job. If you can change your own oil you can change these fluids. I was very happy that I did do the job myself (especially the rear diff). As we all know at the dealer they only suction out the fluid. Well the fluid itself was actually very clean (in both diffs), the color of maple syrup. However the stuff at the bottom of the reaer diff housing was dirty. There is a magnet in the bottom of the housing (you can see it if you look carefully at my pics). It was caked with 1/4 - 5/16 thick of this dust. Suction would never get this stuff out. For those of you that will be doing this you will need a 14mm hex key for the front diff. The bottom plug is easy buy the upper fill plug does not have enough clearance to get the socket & drive on. So as you can see from my pics I used a 14mm end wrench to take it off. A ratcheting box wrench would work nicely here but I don't have any... I was surprised about the metric socket screw, must indicate country of origin...???
The most time consuming part was cleaning the old RTV. I used Permatex Ultra Grey RTV. I called Permatex Tech Support and talked at length about the best product to use. Reasons for this choice are: Withstands the highest vibration, resistance to a wide varity of petro & syth oils, no re-torque required. You put it on, torque to spec (~30ft-lbs), fill after 2 hrs (I waited overnight).
Nitro
Nice pics of of the Diff fluid change. Did you remove the fwd differential cover or just drain and refill.
Thanks
Bob

·
Registered
104 Posts
Sorry for the very late response, I've been away from the site for a few weeks. I just drained the front diff (did not remove the cover).

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
Both the owners manual and the dealer say to fill 1/2 inch below the fill hole. If you filled it until the fluid poured out then you put to much in! As for the front axle, yes you fill it until it pours our. My axles used exactly what the owners manual stated. Im not sure how some of you are fitting 4 quarts of oil in? Are you doing it on a level surface?

·
Registered
36 Posts
vinsta said:
I filled the front diff until it overflowed the fill hole they did the rear diff to 1/2 inch below the fill hole as indicated in the manual. I only used about 3.2 quarts not the four quarts everyone else seems to use? That bothers me. I did not tilt the car to get oil out of the axles but it was done on a level surface.
Any ideas why I can't get 4 quarts into the two diffs?
Me too, almost exactly 3.2 liters. drove it around and checked the levels again, same same. Had me a little worried, but I thought our liter bottles may be a little bigger than quart bottles? oh yeah, I DID use the friction modifier. pumped half a liter, added modifier to the remaining half and pumped all in. then I filled remainder from new bottle. Front took 1.3 liters, rear took 1.9 (half inch below fill hole on rear, flowing out fill on front)

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
I'm going to be replacing my diff this weekend with a getlost heavyduty diff cover. I had the fluids changed at 15,000 and currently have 22,000 miles on it. I was wondering if it would be alright to put the same fluids back in the diff since it's only been 7,000 miles since I replace it. Or shall I just get new fluid?

·
Premium Member
12,559 Posts
I would see no harm in using the same fluid, just inspect it and if it looks dirty or smells funny then replace it.

·
Administrator
15,531 Posts
@SpinDog Welcome to the forum! Please make an introductory post in the New Member Section. And please stop posting that info in years old threads where the question has already been answered. You have posted it consecutively in 3 threads that have not been replied to in many, many years. In one case 11 years. Thank you.

·
Administrator
6,950 Posts
@SpinDog;

Please read the New Member Required Reading;

Thanks & welcome aboard.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts