Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Traditionally, I rotate my tires by crossing the front tires to the rear, and shooting the rear tires straight to the front. Balancing occurs every 5k miles. Although, I was getting my tires (re)balance due to some bouncing on the freeway. Comes to my service advisor's attention, that my tires are reaching about 4/32 to 3/32 of treadwear left. I have almost 24k miles right now. Is this normal for tires to last that short of time? What have you all driven w/ the stock tires? If replaced, what do you suggest/recommend?

·
Registered
473 Posts
we are at about 32,000 on ours and i'll probably need new ones before the snow flies so i'd say 35-40,000 tops. it has never been off road and is babied so i don't know if that is the difference.

·
Registered
109 Posts
just changed mine bang on 30,000 miles, still had a little tread left but felt with the wet roads that we enjoy so much in the UK worth doing. Kept to the same tyres...£120 each just for the record!

·
Registered
707 Posts
My Jeep has about 36,000 miles and my tires are getting pretty close to the wear bar. I would like a tire that last longer than around 40,000 miles and that does not cost $180, does anyone suggest another tire than stock.

Also, I have heard that Goodyear's Silent Armor tires are supposed to last longer than the basic Fortera's, is this true?

·
Registered
134 Posts
I have 34k on my 06 and the tires need replacing. I am going to look at LT245/70R17 Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revos. These are just a little bigger than stock and I believe, from what I read here on the forum, they will fit just fine on stock rims with no lift.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Goodness.... tell me it isn't so. I was looking up prices via Discount Tires (tires.com), and the OEM Goodyears we have, says it comes w/ a 60K mile warranty. Did I miss the fine print somewhere. It's so odd that I'm barely reaching 24k miles, and yet, Discount Tires said my tires were nearing the 3 to 4/32 mark :(. I'm assuming I'll have these replaced by 30k. I just need to start saving 'again' for these bad boy investments...any recommendations, and/or suggestions to avoid?!?

·
Registered
707 Posts
All tire companies give their tires above the average warranty mark. This is a selling point for them. Most people don't know this, but you can ask for a pro rate towards new tires since almost all tires did not meet their warranty.
I still can't believe that the stock tires only lasted around 40,000 miles at the most. I am willing to pay for a longer lasting tire, but not one that will last the same mileage as stock.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I have about 22k on mine. Everytime I am at the dealer they mention the tires are going to need replacing.
Hoping to go a little bigger when they wear out. Will look at Costco when the time comes. They don't hide anything in their prices. It includes the mounting and balancing plus lifetime rotation.

·
Registered
331 Posts
The Forteras are bald off the shelf. we got 26K out of ours, and went with Pirelli Scorpions to replace them.....I have those mounted on the factory rims....and BFG MTR's on the Black wheels...

..I'll leave the knobbies on through the winter, and put the scorpions on again in the spring. It handles really well with them on, and the Bilstein struts up front. Even with the lift.

·
Banned
1,406 Posts
I have not quite 20,000 miles, and mine are 1/2 gone. My Goodyear dealer told me that as long as the tires had usable tread, Goodyear would do nothing. These are rated for 60,000 miles, so I will be lucky to get 40,000. He told me to come back in the spring. Fotera Silent Armor are rated to 70,000, and will cost about $1,000 for a set. He told me he could get Goodyear to prorate mine at that time, and get me the Silent Armor for 1/2 price. I mentioned this forum to the dealer, and he looked it up to see if there had been formal complaints to Goodyear, or a possible recall, but he couldn't find anything. I trust this guy as I have been doing business with him for many years.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I am at 44,000 miles on my original Goodyear Forteras with some tread left. I am replacing now, I think they would go to at least 45,000-50,000. I also drive very erratically.:eyemouth:

·
Registered
13 Posts
I know this thread is old, but hey I just reached 45,000 miles on my original tires and they are still some rubber left on them...I've read so far that the silent armor forteras from good year are good,,and the Wrangler silent armor are a bit thicker.. can anybody recommend some good tires? Ive heard Bridgestone Duehlers? I think thats how you spell it...

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'm having bad luck w/ Goodyear overall; doesn't seem like the rubber last as long as it's warranted. I'm considering the Continental ContiCrossContact LX or Michelin LTX's. We don't go off-roading at all FYI! I'm surprised your have lasted that far? I'm just nearing 24K miles, and the treadwear markers are pretty close already to its lowest level. Probably I should not drive it as 'severe' as I do w/ my 335i and Prelude, hehehe! Still, I don't get it -- I balanced/rotated every 7500 miles, and set the air like 3 times a mth, to 35-37psi (depending on the season).

1 - 17 of 17 Posts