Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife has a 2009 Jeep Commander. She has been having issues with her key not coming out of the ignition. I have no idea why but I had seen posts about a trigger in the gears being the problem so I took her gear console apart and found this piece. While I was messing with it her ignition was clicking which is the noise it makes when she can take her key out. I am trying to find out what this piece is, what's its purpose and if it has any relation to her key/ignition issue.

JEEP.jpg

·
Registered
141 Posts
I may be off base, but I saw a post a while back here or in the jeep forum about replacing bulbs in the controls with LED's and a picture showed something close to this. Essentially a bulb assy with a clear plastic light pipe.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My wife has a 2009 Jeep Commander. She has been having issues with her key not coming out of the ignition. I have no idea why but I had seen posts about a trigger in the gears being the problem so I took her gear console apart and found this piece. While I was messing with it her ignition was clicking which is the noise it makes when she can take her key out. I am trying to find out what this piece is, what's its purpose and if it has any relation to her key/ignition issue.

View attachment 40759
Having the exact same problem with my '09 Commander. Key will release (sometimes) when I jiggle the gear shift side to side. Sometimes I have to pull a fuse to finally get it to release. Occasionally the ignition will "lock up" and not allow me to start the Jeep... pulling the fuse will release it.
Have been told it was an electrical problem (had it checked ... not electrical) and have been quoted $800 to replacing the whole shifting module...🙄 It is annoying but doesn't really keep the Jeep off the road, so I just continue to live with the problem for now.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts