Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2006 Commander Limited, 5.7 Hemi QD2
1,785 Posts
Please explain more of what you are asking.

·
Super Moderator
1,785 Posts
Look at this picture and tell us what number position you are asking about?

·
Premium Member
Dallas TX
354 Posts
Parking assist kicking in?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It’s number 1

·
Super Moderator
1,785 Posts
Thought that was it. Never saw that in a Commander. It is probably an aftermarket device. Radar detector? Do they even use them in the UK?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Does it buzz with red lights etc only when you are reversing? Did someone move the park assist LED lights to the dash? Usually that LED strip is in the rear above the tailgate window so when you are looking backwards and backing up into a tight space the LEDs will slowly light up as you approach an object with the rear of your vehicle. When the rear of the vehicle is (I think) 2.5 ft away from the object the red lights will come on and it will beep/buzz at you as a warning (backup radar). Ive known people to move that LED strip because they have a hard time seeing it due to neck issues so they use their rear view mirror along with the LED strip they move to the dash. Either way that mod would not be from the factory. Just an idea as Ive seen people move that LED strip. Mine is in its original spot but even my dads is moved forward more on his Commander.

·
Super Moderator
1,785 Posts
@snowpile I think we have a winner. I don't look at the backup LED's much - do it by sound mostly.
Here is a picture of the stock LED's in the rear above the rear window inside. The one on the dash looks identical.
@Andy2know - Have you tried backing up close to an object in the rear? Do you have the original one on the ceiling in the rear?
Picture of mine -

·
Registered
22 Posts
If thats not it... Could there be an option on the Commander for frontal proximity radar? If so Ive never ever seen it. If the unit starts going red then beeping as you approach an object from the front (vs the rear) then likely front radar and possibly crash avoidance/brake assist. That seems unlikely for a 2006 commander limited as that is more of a later feature and something Ive never seen in a commander. So yeah try putting a 5-gallon bucket in front of your Jeep and approach it from the front also and see if the LED's start lighting up as you get close. Do so for reverse/rear too in order to test that theory.

Also the OP is in Europe as oncoming cars are approaching on the right vs the left if it were the U.S (also the license plate in the pic is a give-away). Maybe there were different safety standards in Europe back in 06 and they had frontal radar as well as rear radar on commanders in Europe?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts