Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
can anyone let me know what this piece is or what belongs behind it? its located on the back trunk area. i'm curious because this piece keeps falling off everytime i open my trunk.

thanks in advance. :D

·
Premium Member
2,337 Posts
Looks like an access panel in the lift gate trim, it looks like a tab has broken off which is why it keeps falling off.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
lumberjim said:
i cant make it out from the pics. where the hell is it? on the liftgate door? or what?

is it an access panel to get to a light or something?

sorry it on the back liftgate. behind 3rd passenger seat.

the only thing i can think of is that it's a panel to disenable the back window, but not sure?

·
Registered
262 Posts
I've asked 'Commander Ron' about instruction for the liftgate handle, and he mentioned that it will be from the inside. I wonder if that's an access to get to the liftgate handle assembly?

·
Registered
5,610 Posts
You can put your hand in there and open the lift gate. My cover doesn't stay either.....it rides around in the storage compartment next to where the 3rd row seat used to be.........thinking i am going to superglue it back on.

It works, I did it this morning. I have big hands and it is tough! But it works, just dont be in a hurry....

·
Premium Member
12,578 Posts
Remember a few years ago when they passed a law that said all trucks had to have a truck release inside the trunk? I wonder if this applied to SUVs as well and this was Jeep's answer to that problem.

·
Registered
57 Posts
My Lotus Elise had trunk release. Which was pretty stupid because it's mid engine car so the trunk could only fit maybe two pieces of carry on luggage. The only person that could fit in the trunk/ engine cover would be a two year old. Some laws don't apply to all.

See link.
http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f3/official-kids-car-picture-thread-47477/

The second picture shows the glow in the dark release handle above the kids head. Not my picture of car or kids. That's further down in the message.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I believe M3racer and a49erfan are right and it is to access the lifgate to release it in an emergency just like the trunk of a car.

To get to the outer liftgate trim/handle to remove it you need to remove all of the interior liftgate trim if that helps (Xjaiger). I have never needed to remove that cover panel for anything.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thanks everyone for getting back to me. mystery solved.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts