Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pulled panel down under the steering wheel to gain access to repair HVAC actuator and I found this floating around loose. The yellow part is spring loaded and it slides in/out of the black piece. This is some type of cable connection and the black piece has a clip on it like it should be attached to something. It is at the end of a stiff cable in a sleeve. Appears it should push or pull something open or closed. I could not find any obvious spot that it could be connected to.

·
Super Moderator
14,914 Posts
I just went out and looked at mine and I don't see anything like what is in your photo.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The other end of the cable disappears behind the HVAC system behind center console. So far, I have not discovered anything not working as expected. My gut feeling is that it connects to some door in HVAC.

·
Super Moderator
5,759 Posts
The other end of the cable disappears behind the HVAC system behind center console. So far, I have not discovered anything not working as expected. My gut feeling is that it connects to some door in HVAC.
Did you post a picture or something in your original post?

I don't see anything there.

It would be helpful to see exactly what you are talking about.

·
Super Moderator
14,914 Posts

·
Premium Member
632 Posts
Try changing settings on the HVAC and see if it moves. It is a mechanical cable right? not electrical.
If it disappears under the dash - take a picture of where it is there and we can look at ours.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes -it is a push/pull mechanical cable. Comes out under the HVAC air mixer box. It is the cable in my fingers in this pic.

·
Premium Member
632 Posts
OK on my 06 limited that cable plugs in right behind (close) to the ignition switch. Attaching picture, taken through the opening of the drop down panel left of steering wheel and looking toward the back of ignition switch. Hope that helps. Still no idea of what it does. Might be if they did the Ignition switch recall they forgot to put it back in. Can you start the car without being in park or neutral? Might also be for the vent just above the switch?

Attachments

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yep - that is where it goes. I have an empty slot there that looks like it will fit. Will tackle it tomorrow in daylight. I checked my shifter and found that I could shift into any gear (engine off with no key in ignition) just sitting still. Could also turn key while in reverse but I did not try to start. That cable must be connected to an interlock to keep shifter from moving unless key is in correct position. It is possible that I knocked it loose while I was replacing the air door actuator. That cable runs very close to the actuator.
Thanks to all for the help.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Got cable reconnected. It connects to a slot on the key cylinder. With it reconnected, I cannot move shifter out of park unless I move key to RUN position. Also, key must be in RUN position to insert the cable into its connector. Cable is then locked into position and cannot inserted or remove the cable unless key in RUN position. Since it is locked into position, that tells me that the cable was not properly installed back when previous owner had the ignition recall performed. If anyone can move your shifter without key in ignition, your cable is probably not properly installed.
I was unable to get cable installed with ignition switch installed so I removed dash and the ignition switch and inserted it as seen in picture below. Was not able to reinstall ignition switch with cable inserted so I pulled cable back out and put the ignition switch back into position loosely without screws. That gave me enough wiggle room to insert the cable (with ignition in RUN position). Put screws back in and dash back in and all is good.
In the picture below, the cable is inserted into the connection with the cross hatched pattern on it. The yellow slider tab is sticking out the end.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts