Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for a new set of tires and would like to see what people are running...If you like them...what they are good for...etc.

I like the set of Khumos Adamag25 has but i can only find the 78s not the 71s...

But I am open to anything since the Rubicon OEM tires are no longer on sale.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
I am looking for a new set of tires and would like to see what people are running...If you like them...what they are good for...etc.

I like the set of Khumos Adamag25 has but i can only find the 78s not the 71s...

But I am open to anything since the Rubicon OEM tires are no longer on sale.

I guess you are right. I just checked tirerack.com and they want $169 per tire now for the Rubi BFG Mud Terrains. Last I checked they were under $100 per tire. Honestly thats still not a bad price. I paid $234 per tire for my Goodyear Wrangler MT/R's with Kevlar.

What type of tire do you plan on running? An All Terrain or a Mud Terrain. I absolutely love my MT/R's.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
actually there is a m/t around 160 a tire which I am considering...but a lot of the more aggressive A/Ts are appealing to me...

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
actually there is a m/t around 160 a tire which I am considering...but a lot of the more aggressive A/Ts are appealing to me...
Which M/T's are you refering to?

I have a set of Bridgestone Dueler REVO's sitting in my basement that im selling for rather cheap. They will fit on you XK without wheel spacers!

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
135 Posts
I have the BFG M/T's in 275/75/17. They were $163/each from Discount tire. They were $808 out the door with the AAA discount plus a $70 mail-in-rebate. Pretty decent value.

I love the tires, about 6k miles driven so far, one rotation with good, even wear. They aren't too loud and agressive as hell.

·
Registered
512 Posts
My Commander is still running on the factory Forteras, (only 21k), but my 97 TJ has BFG All Terrain T/A's and they wear like iron! When the Fortera's wear out I'm probably gonna go with the BFG's.-43

·
Registered
480 Posts
Nitto terra grapplers- They are great on the road wet or dry, good in snow, poor on ice, excellent for offroading when it is dry but they cake up in a few inches of mud and refuse to eject mud from the tread. I have lost traction in mud that was not deep enough to get to the rim, looked at the "slicks" I had created with the terra grapplers and shook my head. Reminded me of driving my 86 Camaro in the middle of winter in Buffalo, Lots of spin and little go.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Bump as i am now again looking at tires...anyone running Hankooks?

·
Registered
282 Posts
I just installed a set of Goodyear Dura Tracks that are listed as all terrain but look like a mud tire; and they even have an M+S rating. I'm taking them to The Cliffs OHV park in about 8 hours which I am sure is all mud right now. I have high expectations for these tires.

·
Registered
282 Posts
just got the hankook dynapros installed several days ago. so far so good, but have only driven about 30 miles. ill update later. not much road noise so far.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah let me know tripod how they work out i am looking closely at them

·
Registered
107 Posts
I've put about 6k on my hankook rf10's The wear is great, road noise is fine, only noticable with the windows down thats when you can hear a slight hum on concrete, not at all iratating though. off road the grip on rocks an loose stuff is great, the side walls stand up really good to rock scuffs and the mud seems to clear out fairly well. all in all i would buy another set

·
Registered
127 Posts
Tires are in my sig. Yes I like the look of the lifted Commander. But since this IS my DD, I will probably never take it off road to warrant an all-terrain tire. I have had 3 4WD over the past 6 years and have been "off road" somewhat once. Going to a less aggressive tread such as the Michelins have A). given me the best possible MPG B). given me the smoothest possible ride. Don't get me wrong, I like the ruggedness of an A/T tire, but just being realistic what I use the Commander for.
The sets of Hankooks I have sold have produced positive feedback from my customers.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ok as of right now I am looking at four different sets that I have to choose from...
1) Firestone Destination A/T
2) General Grabber A/T2
3) Hankook rf10

Any Positive/negative feedback on any of them?

·
Registered
809 Posts
Bump as i am now again looking at tires...anyone running Hankooks?
I just got my set of Hankook Ventus RH06's put on last weekend. Very different application from what you're shopping for, I'm sure, but thought I'd throw out there that I am pleased with their appearance and performance so far. Quiet, smooth, and like glue around the corners. For what it's worth.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I'm running 3- BFG Mud Terrain's 255/75/17 and one Fortera 245/65/17.... damn rocks. Love the BFG's, but the sidewalls are slightly vulnerable. I don't think any tire would have stood up to what blew my tire out.

·
Registered
809 Posts
I'm running 3- BFG Mud Terrain's 255/75/17 and one Fortera 245/65/17...
Doesn't that mess with your ESP/Traction? I had to run one small tire for a day and it kept cutting power and flashing dash lights. Tell me that's not just my Jeep!

·
Registered
282 Posts
Actually running an off-size tire can really mess up your transfer case, so please be careful, BlackonBlack!!

·
Registered
135 Posts
I've been avoiding using the manumatic shifter like I normally do to help avoid the transfer case from locking up. Tire came in late yesterday, all will be back to normal this afternoon. The rear tire carrier fabrication has bumped up to the top of the priority list now though.

Back to the origional thread subject matter, I'll compare the new tire with the ones I've been running for the last 10,000 miles and see how the treadwear is doing. I don't expect to see much wear difference, but it would be insightful to measure tread depth head to head. Love the tires, can't wait to see how they do in a Michigan winter.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts