Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quick question,

What lbs winch do we need to buy for our commanders? I'm not a hard core rock climber, but would like to get out of the mud if I get stuck.

·
2,248 Posts
Any of those should work. First you are going to be pulling not lifting usually. Also you can use a snach block or pully to increase the pulling capacity by reducing the effective winch cable speed. Unless you plan to winch yourself up a waterfall you should be fine.

·
Premium Member
2,629 Posts
I agree that any of those would work just fine. As for a recommendation, i would go for the 9k rated range. There is alot to a winch's rated capacity. For example the rating of 9,000lbs is only for the first couple feet of cable that is payed out and pulled in. The closer the cable gets to the drum the lower the single line pull rating is. Also consider that while the single line rated pull may be almost double the weight of the vehicle, when used for recovery it can easily have to pull that rated amount to free stuck wheels or clear obstacles. For really tough situations it is a must to have the snatch block but it is a good idea to go for something that can handle most situations with the single line pull.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Deep mud can be the hardest thing to winch out of .. sometimes the truck can actually get suctioned into the mud making it very difficult to pull out.

But like Huey says toss a some snatch blocks in the back and with one you can double or with more even triple you winching power when needed.

I have a very old Superwinch X3 that I rigged up to mount on a regular ball hitch ... it is rated at 4000 pounds stall. With that in mind I have NEVER been stuck so bad it would not get me out ..

.. last time I used it with 3 pulleys to drag my 6000 pound van out of the mud up to the door sills.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts