Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been trying to decide what lift I should get for my XK for sometime now. I am more concerned about keeping the ride quality than anything else. From my research the Rocky Road 2.25" seems the most appealing to me. Any other suggestions? Also, when getting the lift installed what else should I plan on having replaced with aftermarket parts, and what is recommended? Finally what size tire? Thanks

·
Registered
48 Posts
The RR seems pretty popular. I've also seen a lot run the 2" RC lift. Another option would be the 4" superlift. I myself am deciding between the RC or 4" superlift. Still just trying to find out which one would better suit me.

Ax for the tires I'm running 255/70R17 firestone ATs on the stock suspension. With those size tires I think it looks really good because it sits flush, sticks out a small bit, with the body of the vehicle. IMO I think if I went with the RC 2" lift it would be perfect cus it would definately get rid of the rake the commander has. If I went with the superlift I would definately want a bigger tire to compensate for the lift id get.

It's up to your personal preference on what you'd want to get though.

·
Premium Member
12,578 Posts
RR is easy to install and a quality budget lift. SS is great if you have the $

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the feedback. As for shocks, do I need to replace them with the rc, or would the stock ones be okay?

·
Premium Member
362 Posts
I have the RC lift. I blew out one strut but I don't think that was a lift issue. The thing that did go was the UCA bushings. I just replaced with the JBA UCA. It is a little longer and the ride is great now. This was after 45K miles.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Im curious why the daystar lift wasn't mentioned.

They are advertised as 'comfortride' and this is part of the reason I am considering them.

My xk is the "nice riding" vehicle @ my house, so my fiance says whatever you do don't mess with the ride.

·
Registered
243 Posts

They are advertised as 'comfortride' and this is part of the reason I am considering them.

My xk is the "nice riding" vehicle @ my house, so my fiance says whatever you do don't mess with the ride.
Stay away from Daystar!!!!! It gives less than 2" of lift, and doesn't even level the front. I noticed no change in ride with this kit. Even after upgrading to OME HD springs, I still noticed no major change, just a bit more stiffness due to the stiffer HD springs. Since the 2" spacer lifts don't actually change the springs like the OME kit, then I don't see why the ride would change from stock on any of them, so I'd go with rough country or rocky-road if I were you.

When I swapped the Daystar lift for the OME HD kit, I gained 3" of lift in the front, on top of what the daystar kit was giving me. This makes me wonder if the daystar spacer gives any real lift at all. With the daystar kit, I had to run the XK without fender flares so that 265/70/17 duratracs wouldn't rub, whereas true 2" lifts (RC & RR) clear these tires fine, with minor if any pinch weld mods.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts

Because the daystar lift is GARBAGE!

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Stay away from Daystar!!!!! It gives less than 2" of lift, and doesn't even level the front. I noticed no change in ride with this kit. Even after upgrading to OME HD springs, I still noticed no major change, just a bit more stiffness due to the stiffer HD springs. Since the 2" spacer lifts don't actually change the springs like the OME kit, then I don't see why the ride would change from stock on any of them, so I'd go with rough country or rocky-road if I were you.

When I swapped the Daystar lift for the OME HD kit, I gained 3" of lift in the front, on top of what the daystar kit was giving me. This makes me wonder if the daystar spacer gives any real lift at all. With the daystar kit, I had to run the XK without fender flares so that 265/70/17 duratracs wouldn't rub, whereas true 2" lifts (RC & RR) clear these tires fine, with minor if any pinch weld mods.
Because the daystar lift is GARBAGE!
Thanks guys :bigthumb:

·
Registered
139 Posts
thanks for this thread now i do not need to create another one.

so im in the same situation, should i get the RR or RC now a down the line switch it out for a OME/Bilstein lift. (btw. my jeep has 28k miles on it )

is it worth to wait it out and just do the OME later?

im planing to lift before winter so sometime in September.

also whats the best tire size to run. currently looking at a few wheels that are 17x8.5

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
thanks for this thread now i do not need to create another one.

so im in the same situation, should i get the RR or RC now a down the line switch it out for a OME/Bilstein lift. (btw. my jeep has 28k miles on it )

is it worth to wait it out and just do the OME later?

im planing to lift before winter so sometime in September.

also whats the best tire size to run. currently looking at a few wheels that are 17x8.5

Thanks.
Tire choice is a personal one. Many people end up with a 30-32"(max) with this type of lift.

I am considering 235/80r17 since it will fit (apparently) on stock suspension

255/70r17 is a nice tire as well

If you are really planning to OME+Bilstein then why bother with a RC/RR lift? Get in line for the bilstein 5100's (which adjust to allow you to level the Jeep) and add the OME later when money/time/wife allows.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Tire choice is a personal one. Many people end up with a 30-32"(max) with this type of lift.

I am considering 235/80r17 since it will fit (apparently) on stock suspension

255/70r17 is a nice tire as well

If you are really planning to OME+Bilstein then why bother with a RC/RR lift? Get in line for the bilstein 5100's (which adjust to allow you to level the Jeep) and add the OME later when money/time/wife allows.
Thanks bro. That sounds like a plan . I was planning to go with the 5100s. As for the OME springs, since it's a hemi I should get the HD ones correct? Would you happen to have the part number because online they just have different part numbers with out reference to HD or not.

Bday is around the corner, the springs will be up there on the list with tires and wheels.. ( when you have some time can you look at the thread I have in the wheel section, I have asked for opinion on a few wheels and fitment)

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm currently in the middle of the same process; lifting the XK. I decided on the OME Full Suspension Kit because it provides almost 3" of lift with really great parts for the money. I went through a gentleman on here that goes by the handle Kolak. Best prices, knowledge base, and service you could possibly imagine.

If you're going off-road sometimes and just doing some easy mud trails, I would recommend the Medium Duty springs. You'll get a more comfortable ride on the road where you spend 90% of your time. But if you're hard core and have a Hemi, definitely go with Heavy Duty springs. Harsher ride, but necessary when doing tougher, rockier, more rutted out trails.

If you're going to go with a tire over 30" and use your factory JK wheels (which is what I'm doing), you must get yourself 1 1/2" wheel spacers to give you the backspacing you'll need to prevent rubbing from lock to lock. Also, the tire size should consider your engine. I have a 3.7L so I'm stopping at 32" equivalent. If you have the 4.7 or 5.7 Hemi, you should be good to head up to 33" equivalent and if you do the pinch weld mod, you could do 34" equivalent.

See this link for metric to english equivalents... http://tire-size-conversion.com/tire-size-comparison/

Now while you're in there, you might want to change out the UCA's. I'm going with the Jeepin' By Al made for lifted XK's. It provides a better angle for the upper ball joint. This isn't necessary for everyone, but it provides design margin that could help in the future. Plus, if your UCA bushings or ball joint already need replaced, why not just do it right? Right?

When I say 'margin', what I mean is that things may be just fine, but are close to being maxed out on designed and real-life capabilities which affect the reliability and life-time of the components. 'Margin' gives you more room between what it can do and what is doing, therefore increasing reliability and life-time of the parts. So spending money on margin is an investment, but not necessary.

It is also suggested, but it is not necessary, if you are going to lift your rear by 2" or more (which the OME kit does) you get a longer track bar for the rear. Again, this is not necessary, but provides margin.

And finally, if you are going through all of this effort and spending all of this time and money, I would look into changing your gearing to handle the bigger tires you're using out there on the trails. Get some of that torque back so you can kick butt in the bush.

Those are all of the things that I've been thinking about and looking into. Let me know what you think about what I think.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts