Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at getting a muffler to replace my stock one on my 4.7l XK 4x4 and I am looking for a reasonably quiet exhaust with a good mellow sound. I have a wife and baby so gotta keep drone down as low as possible and costs low too. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I put a Flowmaster 70 series on my 5.7L and it has a great low rumble, but definitely not loud. Big resonator and single exhaust keeps it under control.
Could always go with a 80 series to keep it even more tame. I'm sure that would be fine in the 4.7L

·
Registered
288 Posts
I have a borla exhaust, absolutely love it. Not to loud, has a nice low rumble to it.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
You want the flowmaster 50 series SUV muffler. 2 1/2 inch offset inlet center out let. Sounds amazing and the interior drone isn't loud at all. I get so many compliments on my exhaust and it was just a welded in flowmaster. I have the 4.7 liter also. My son was 2 years old when I had the muffler installed

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well I ended up with the flowmaster super 50(SUV) muffler and I love it, sounds really good. Even the wife likes it lol and she wasnt too happy when i told her it was gonna happen.... thanks guys

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
Super 50 SUV?!?! Didnt know they made one lol glad everything worked out for you!

·
Registered
36 Posts
07JeepXK, Thank you for the specifics!

I have a 2006 Limited, with the 4.7 V8. I have a leak in teh exhaust system somewhere and am going to do some work on it as soon as the weather STAYS nice here in Upstate NY.

Really quick, I looked up the "2 1/2 inch offset inlet center out let" you spoke of, I just need to confirm that this ( http://www.flowmastermufflers.com/?page_id=451&partno=942551 ) is the correct one, so I can purchase it.

Again, I am looking for something that sounds slightly agressive, but not OBNOXIOUS. Sounds like this is a good match.

How much "adaptation" was required? I don't have a machine shop readily accessible right now...

Anybody else with suggestions, please jump in... Thanks!

·
Registered
26 Posts
I just went out yesterday and bought two Magnaflow Cat's cause mine had gone south, the high flow OBDII cats and a Flowmaster 44 muffler. This thing sounds great but kinda loud. From my understanding, if you want a mellow noise, go with the Magnaflow, its more of a mellow low grumble rather than the more aggressive Flowmaster 40 series.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts