Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So here is my commander. Its an '06 limited. The only mod so far is a CAI (with minor problems... installer issues). Now the question is whats next? I am thinking lift and tires (the stock tires are amost worn out anyway). The exhaust (Borla or Gibson I think). I really like the bumper that 4.7 is developing, so that may have to happen with a rear to match (hint hint). At some point I will likely add rock sliders/rails as well. This is my daily driver since I have a 91 Grand Wagoneer for my trail truck. Anyway, here are the photos.

·
Super Moderator
14,914 Posts
Love the Inferno Red. I almost got that color but got Steel Blue instead. Like the scenery, too. Where are you located ?

·
Registered
564 Posts
Congrats on you nice XK, it looks very nice, specialy with the mud on it... :D

as far as the exhaust goes, go with the Borla... Personal preference...

·
Super Moderator
14,914 Posts
ROMEO said:
Congrats on you nice XK, it looks very nice, specialy with the mud on it... :D

as far as the exhaust goes, go with the Borla... Personal preference...
I would say Magnaflow catback -- personal preference.:D

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am located in NW Colorado - So far I am pretty happy with it. I have had it right at 1 year (purchased new) two months later it hit the first mountain trail (river fording photo). Needless to say, it wasn't new after that. I still have a souvenir dent in the gas tank. It needs a lift!

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
rem2506 love the color as well, bought the same color for my wife.....def. get a lift next especially since you live in Colorado....will help with the snow and all those mount. out there....

·
Premium Member
12,578 Posts
My next mod would be the lift. That way when your tires are done you are ready. It would suck to buy replacement tires because you didn't get the lift in time.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have a feeling that I will have a lift and new tires within the next 4-6 weeks. I will probably add a set of spacers too for bugetary reasons until I can get new wheels. Nonetheless, I will have the lift on before or when I am ready for the new tires.

Speaking of tires, I must say I am pretty disappointed in the factory tires (Goodyear Fortera) I am only going to get about 30,000 miles out of them, almost all highway miles. Needless to say, I am looking for a different tire. I want the BFG All Terrain, but they don't make the right size. I have seen some of the other threads that discuss tires as well.

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
Nice pics. I like seeing the XK in the outdoors. Definitely lift first and tires for your situation. What tire size do you plan on going with? Goodyear Wrangle Silent Armors are good tires. There are a few members, to include myself, running this set.

·
Super Moderator
14,914 Posts
Did you get stuck in this pic ?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Nope, I haven't been stuck yet!

As for tire size, I was thinking 265/70/17 but it sounds like there are too many rubbing issues for that tires size so I will most likely go with 255/75/17. Which is too bad because BFG does make their all terrains in the 265/70/17. Oh well, there are a lot of good tires out there.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
The BFG All Terains come in a 245/75R17 that a few members say fit with no lift at all. So id imagin that if you bought those and added a 2 inch lift then you definately wouldnt have any problems fitting them! They will be 2 inches talled then stock.

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
I think that you will still get the rub with the 255/75/17s. I know that sciron4X4 is running that size and he had to do a little trimming. The difference between those two sizes are only .4 " which will not make a big difference. That's only a .2" difference in sidewall height. The 255/70/17 will give you no rub. Just a little info for you.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I had not considered the 245/75/17. Most likely I will end up with the 255/70/17 or the 245/75/17 depending on what tire I can find a deal on and still get a tire I want.

I have not been a real big Goodyear fan, but that is mostly from others that are more knowledgable about tires. The Wrangler silent armer seems to be pretty common amungst you all, I take it you are pretty happy with them?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts