Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I currently have a 2006 4.7 Jeep Commander and getting ready to buy a lift kit and new wheels to give it a more aggressive Jeep look rather than a mini van and trying to compensate for the mpg with the tuning hoping I get about the same. Anyways I was looking at a couple post on here and ran across that there are a couple different tuners I can choose from. The one I have in mind is the Superchip 3875 Flashpaq. It claims to do everything I want it to with a plus: having tire size calibration and them being around for a while. If anyone is running this tuner what are you thoughts about it? Do you like it? Would you recommend it? Or if you are using any other tuners how do you like those? I want to order it by the end of next week, but no hurry on the purchase since I won't be able to enjoy it quite yet since I'm am deployed. But the wife is going to have everything ready for me for when I go back home. Any and all comments will be beneficial. Thank you.

·
Registered
321 Posts
I currently have a 2006 4.7 Jeep Commander and getting ready to buy a lift kit and new wheels to give it a more aggressive Jeep look rather than a mini van and trying to compensate for the mpg with the tuning hoping I get about the same. Anyways I was looking at a couple post on here and ran across that there are a couple different tuners I can choose from. The one I have in mind is the Superchip 3875 Flashpaq. It claims to do everything I want it to with a plus: having tire size calibration and them being around for a while. If anyone is running this tuner what are you thoughts about it? Do you like it? Would you recommend it? Or if you are using any other tuners how do you like those? I want to order it by the end of next week, but no hurry on the purchase since I won't be able to enjoy it quite yet since I'm am deployed. But the wife is going to have everything ready for me for when I go back home. Any and all comments will be beneficial. Thank you.

I currently am running the 91 octane tune with the Superchips tuner. And BOY, what a difference did it make... Not only in power but I also gained almost 2 MPG's! I am running a 2" lift with 33" tires with the Gibson cat-back exhaust, K&N Intake and superchip and I am getting around 14.5 MPG city (myrtle beach) as compared to 11 MPG before all the performance upgrades. I also have the 4.7 v8. Not to mention its also extremely easy to use!!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cool. Just what Im looking for. Ill probably order it tonight and have my brother inlaw program it for me. Thanks man.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm a new owner of 08 limited with a hemi.its my daily driver. No offroading yet. I. Installing a 2" lift in a couple weeks and going to upgrade the tires too. I'm currently getting 10.4mpg. I'm expecting that to get worse after I do the mods.i need a good suggestion to add some mpgs

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm a new owner of 08 limited with a hemi.its my daily driver. No offroading yet. I. Installing a 2" lift in a couple weeks and going to upgrade the tires too. I'm currently getting 10.4mpg. I'm expecting that to get worse after I do the mods.i need a good suggestion to add some mpgs
Since you have the hemi there are a lot of different options for tuners. So, just research them and see which one you would prefer. I know flashpaq has been around for a while and I have the 3875 I think and it's compatible with the Hemi I believe. I can tell you my wife said the gas mileage did go up a little (between 1-2MPGs if I remember correctly), but this whole ordeal might cost me a new ECU for my Jeep. A lot of people like the Flashpaq 3875 and I think I'm just one of the unlucky ones. I still would recommend it if you have the extra money to spend because it does a lot of other things as well, but it does look kinda ancient. If you are looking at something more present time there are other brand tuners that you can run and make adjustments real time while you are driving I think. I also bought a CAI that seemed to help a little (not much) and I hear an exhaust will help to. All these things could be a little costly and a lot of people think that it's not worth the money for a 1-4 MPG increase that you may or may not get. So, if you have the money to spend and you plan on keeping the Jeep for the long haul what ever floats your boat. I say go for it. It will eventually pay itself off if you keep it long enough. An exhaust is the next thing on my list.

·
Registered
471 Posts
I've got the diablo sport tuner, It's pretty straight forward. I read its supposed to be a good match for our vehicles but haven't done much testing yet. Anyone have thoughts/advice on doable sport tunes?

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have both

I have the flashpaq and the diablosport trinity. My thoughts and experience.

1) The flahpaq make the jeep jerk every time it cuts into/out of mds mode
2) Bum dyno the flashpaq makes more power
3) The Diablosport is smooth. Like stock you cant feel the MDS
4) I get better MPG with the diablosport
5) The flahpaq reads the DTC codes properly
6) The Diablosport does not

I run the diablosport all the time now and use the flahpaq for codes. Another benefit of the diablosport is that you can get a custom tune done for you by dealers.

2006 Hemi.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Custom tunes

No Diablosport dealers. Its called a CMR tune. They have a dealer network who you can mail your stock file to and then they will do a custom tune for you on a dyno.

·
Registered
28 Posts
OK, Just installed the Diablo trinity,wouldn't clear codes (tire pressure) & ck engine (os) sense. Then i found ,like a dummy-I didn't read it well,it isn't conpatable with Mac (only windows). So i returned & bought the diablo Intune. Down loaded all new upgrades, hooked it up-ran the 93 performance mode. Runs Strong..Def tell the difference mainly in throttle response the tranny shift points-made the whole truck drive better.Dont know about mpg yet.. Still can't get it to clear codes though-workn on that.. But all in all $380-I'm happy-easy to use-even compared the the trinity-didnt like it. The o2 sensors is something you wanna check with bad mpg along with plugs. Just my 2 cents-Keep on Jeepn!!!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Thread Revival!

Most tuners and chip are only compatible with Windows. There was no need to return the trinity. lol. Mac has a program called parallel which allows you to run windows on your Mac.

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
Just be aware, that often if you have a problem with a vehicle that sets codes, just clearing the code will have the code come right back because the PCM found the problem again before you can reconnect with it. The code won't clear until you actually fix the problem.

Don't know if that was why your Diablo Trinity was failing to clear codes or NOT, but its possible.

I have AutoEnginuity Scan Tool (it's just maintenance, no tuning or ability to write/reprogram modules) and several times I wondered if it was working because it failed to clear codes. Other times it clears the codes just fine, everytime it failed to clear a code was because there was a problem resetting the code right after I cleared it. Once I fixed the root problem, if the code hadn't cleared itself, I was able to clear it on the first attempt.

Yes, some codes you can clear without fixing the underlying problem and it will take a while for the code to come back, that is because the PCM doesn't check those items constantly. And some codes were set for some unusual glitch or condition, and there is nothing wrong and resetting the code won't have it come back later. BUT, some items the PCM checks constantly and if the item is setting a code, if there is a problem with one of those items, clearing the code will just have it instantly come back. I guess it can depend on the tool you're using, but that could look like the tool is refusing to clear the code.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts