Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I bought my commander, it was either missing or never had the roof-rack cross-bars. I was looking around online for some replacements that would actually fit the low-profile side-rails, but the top-results, especially on amazon, seem to get pretty terrible reviews for shoddy construction.

I have a kayak I want to haul around, so I'd appreciate any suggestions on where to find a good, durable set of cross-bars (or other roof rack that would serve the same purpose).

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
And while I did search the forum for previous convos about it, most of what I found seemed to be
- about the basket-style racks, which I'm not sure would suit my needs (would it?)
- The same aluminum/plastic racks all over Amazon.
- Older or out-dated links.

That's why I was looking for some fresh input.

·
Super Moderator
5,766 Posts
And while I did search the forum for previous convos about it, most of what I found seemed to be
- about the basket-style racks, which I'm not sure would suit my needs (would it?)
- The same aluminum/plastic racks all over Amazon.
- Older or out-dated links.

That's why I was looking for some fresh input.
I have a ROLA Vortex roof basket that I bought specifically for my 10ft Kayak and it works perfectly - but you need to have the factory cross-rails in place to mount it on.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
From what I read about the Amazon cheapos, used OEM is probably better anyway. Thanks!

I have a ROLA Vortex roof basket that I bought specifically for my 10ft Kayak and it works perfectly - but you need to have the factory cross-rails in place to mount it on.
Was just looking that up, and that's actually a pretty good price for a basket. Plus it just looks gnarly.

What is the load limit for the factory OEM cross-bars?

·
Super Moderator
5,766 Posts
From what I read about the Amazon cheapos, used OEM is probably better anyway. Thanks!

Was just looking that up, and that's actually a pretty good price for a basket. Plus it just looks gnarly.

What is the load limit for the factory OEM cross-bars?
150lbs sounds about right based on what the previous poster said.

I wasn't sure off the top of my head but I know it's more than enough to support a kayak.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, just snagged a winning ebay bid, so by next week I should have them mounted and we'll see how it works out!
Now I just have to decide if I want to get a fly looking basket like Big Blue has....

·
Registered
84 Posts
I have the OEM cross bars on mine, they are rated at ''max 65kg' rach bar max load. Ive just put a thule ocean 200 roof box on mine - bosts the load capacity by 450 litres.

the fitting kit was developing into a scam though until i sussed that the T track in the bars can be safely used to fix to.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts