Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With a 2 inch rough country lift should I get 255/70/17 or 265/70/17 tires? I'd prefer NOT to modify anything right now. Just put em on and go. Gonna get tires this week so please help.

·
Administrator
15,237 Posts

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
Look at the specs for the tires your considering. Places like tirerack.com will have the tables for specs for each size of the tire. In the specs will be min rim width, max rim width and recommended rim width. So, if the rim widths fall within the width of the stock wheel you should be OK.

Going from 245mm cross section to a 255mm cross section, I would be shocked if the same rim is NOT wide enough.

·
Registered
3 Posts
If your just wanting instant results go with 255's and stock wheels, if your spending the money you might want to consider 265/70/17's u will have to install spacers or I went with 17x9 wheels with a -12 offset for clearance and that bad ass trail stance. U will need to do the pinch wield mod in the front but that takes no time at all.

·
Premium Member
691 Posts
if you can I would wait and save up some extra cash and go with rims and tires. I spent over $850 on 255's on stock rims 2 years later I went with 265's and new rims $2000 and wish I had done it from the get go! if you like the stock rims go for spacers and 265's but I think a after market rim with the correct back spacing is ideal. I know you said that you don't want to do any modifications neither did I! lol! The pinch weld is very easy to do just consider it part of the lift process. Sorry my whole point is i think with a 2 inch lift the 265's look great and are the way to go! all said and done I wish I saved up for the superlift! But I just couldn't wait i had to lift.Lol!

·
Premium Member
691 Posts
Sorry posted twice

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
If your just wanting instant results go with 255's and stock wheels, if your spending the money you might want to consider 265/70/17's u will have to install spacers or I went with 17x9 wheels with a -12 offset for clearance and that bad ass trail stance. U will need to do the pinch wield mod in the front but that takes no time at all.
My 255's with 5.39" backspacing on 9" wide wheels makes for a pretty good stance improvement IMHO.

·
Registered
150 Posts
To OP I'm almost in the same boat as you for best tire with good stance, have you decided already? Which tire you got?

My 255's with 5.39" backspacing on 9" wide wheels makes for a pretty good stance improvement IMHO.

This looks perfect to me, very well done! What are those tires?
After a few days of research I'm thinking of Continental crosscontact 255/65-17 would looks perfect for my '06 commander
http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/findTireDetail.do?c=1&ar=65&rf=true&rd=17&rc=AZTINT&cs=255&dVeh=dVeh&ra=searchTiresByVehicleAndSize.do&fl=&tc=CONRHC&yr=2006&pc=26317&vid=009455

But also seen and talked to couple of guys here very satisfied for on and off road with Nitto Terra G2 265 70 r17
http://4wheelonline.com/Nitto_Terra_Grappler.19632.456086

1 - 12 of 12 Posts