Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning, Jeeps! I recently purchased a new to me 2007 Commander with the 3.7L motor and I want to get a little more snap out of it.

I was thinking of getting a NOS sticker or maybe a Holley sticker because every car I see those stickers on is fast. Which sticker will make mine faster?

I was also thinking of getting a TapOut sticker as a deterrent. Everyone knows that people with TapOut stickers are in constant road rage mode and would be quick to take any fight to the ground. Nobody wants to get rear naked choked on the side of the road.

For those that missed it, that was humor. If you didn't catch it, you might find a good sense of one on Ebay.

Seriously, this site has been a great resource leading up to my Commander purchase. The vehicle I sold I get it was a Jeep Wrangler TJ which never let me down, but I needed something quieter. With the TJ, if you had anything to say, you better say it before we got on the interstate.

I don't quite know how capable it will be offroad. I need it to be capable and reliable since we are offroad twice a week, every week. I don't need it to be able to climb waterfalls, but I do need more ground clearance.

So far, I have some 265/70/r17's coming. They should arrive today. The 1.5" spacers arrived yesterday and the 2" Rough Country lift will arrive on Monday. Am I missing anything or does the list sound about right?

Also, for offroad purposes, what are the weak points in the factory suspension? I'd like to upgrade them before they become an issue.

Finally, since most local shops will not install wheels onto spacers, can I have the new tires and lift aligned at a shop and add the spacers afterwards at home? I'm not sure how that works and am concerned that adding the spacers after an alignment will change the geometry voiding out the alignment.

Thanks for being a great resource and thanks, in advance, for the replies.

·
Registered
40 Posts
yeah thats a good start so far. and im not sure what the weak links in our suspension are but the more experienced members will let you. and putting the spacers on will not mess with the alignment one bit all they do is bolt on to your wheel studs. and youll love your commander they preform amazing off road good luck and hope to see pics soon.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
Yeah I would definitely get the gas tank skid, tcase skid and front suspension skid. The 4xguard belly is a must if you plan on taking it off road. The cat converters aren't cheap. Trust me

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It looks like it came with some skids, but the motor and trans skid are plastic. The gas skid appears to be metal, but if it is, it's very thin and should probably be upgraded or reinforced. I'll be able to borrow a lift next week so I can have a better look. I may be able to fab something with scrap metal.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I just put ont the RC 2" lift and 1.5" spacers this past week on my 2006 3.7L. New 265/70R17's hopefully this weekend. My first mod - 2 weeks ago was a K&N CAI which I love on the underpowered 3.7L.

If you are installing the RC lift yourself, good luck with the lower strut mount bolt as it is most likely a permanant part of the bushing sleeve. I had to go with plan "B" and removed the axle nut in order to drop the lower control arm down far enough to get the top of the strut to swing out without removing the upper control arm. It was well worth the extra effort...I love the look. I can't believe I drove it for 6 years without a lift.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've owned Wranglers before the Commander so I'm well aware that most 20 minute jobs on the Jeeps end up taking hours. Before I make a vehicle purchase, I begin the upgrade research. I already knew what and where I was going to order the parts. I couldn't imagine having any of my Jeeps untouched for 6 years.

Were you just using hand tools or did you try to break it loose with an impact wrench? I have the benefit of having friends with a lift and air tools which should make the process much easier and faster. I've been spraying all the bolts with PB Blaster nightly for almost a week even though the roads aren't salted this far South. There isn't a bit of rust on this one, so I'm not even worried about breaking a bolt.

I don't think we'll have any issues, but now that I said that, it'll probably be an all day event.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I was using air tools, hand tools, a sledge hammer, heat, plenty of lube, a couple of days and a buddy. I'm sure the salt was a contributing factor but I've seen plenty threads on this forum discussing removing this bolt even old strings where the jeep couldn't have been very old.

Hope it doesn't give you any trouble. Let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I hope it goes smoothly, but now you have me overthinking this one. HAHA You're probably right though. I'll prepare myself for a worst case scenario. Better to expect it, right?

I have the same motor as yours and was about to ask how your motor does with the 265's, but I see you don't have them yet. I have mine in the garage, but I won't be able to mount them until next week. If you have yours installed by then, please let me know how it runs and how it affects your MPG.

·
Registered
40 Posts
ive got 265/70's on my 3.7L and it handles them pretty good and mine is only a 2wd so i dont know if there will be much of a difference

·
Registered
58 Posts
VegasUnderworld, Did you get your lift installed yet. If so, did you have any issues with "the bolt"? Let's see some pics.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
No, I haven't been able to install it yet. I've been having some health issues this year. I have more bad days than good and I'd rather do other things on my good days.

After reading about "the bolt", I may wait until I can get some help. It still looks fairly straight forward, but I'd hate to get started and not be able to finish the same day.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
I've put lifts on 5 northeast salted WK/XKs (not inluding the multipe times i've had my struts out) and have never had an issue with the lower bolt. The trick is that the lower bolt is impossible to get out unless you relieve ALL stress on it. Unbolting the upper strut mount and dropping the suspension isn't enough, there is still some light spring force there.

I always use spring compressors. Use a jack on the LCA to compress the strut, and hand tighten the spring compressors. Then when you unbolt the strut mount and drop the suspension, the strut mount studs are completely clear of the body and the only stress on the lower fork bolt is the weight of the strut assembly.

From there it's a matter of breaking the lower bolt loose. Use in impact and go back/forth a few times. Then put some pressure on it with a pry bar while you wiggle the strut assembly and it should come out without much trouble.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I figured it was probably something simple like that. From what I've read, some people made it sound like that lower bolt was thread locked on there. When I finally get around to it, I'll do the install on a 4 post lift. I should be able to relieve all the stress. Thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Finally finished the lift today. The installation went perfectly. Nothing was difficult at all. The hardest part was getting all the tools together. I'm wondering if the previous owner had suspension work done because everything came off so easy. I was expecting a fight.

The only issue we had was an extra part, but I'm not even sure if it came off my Jeep or one of the many that have been in the garage. It's one of those "Dealer only service" caps. The exact same one on the trans fill port, but that one is in place.

Other than the trans fill, are there any other places they would install that cap?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Got the tires mounted and balanced at 5:30AM on a Sunday. Vegas never closes. The guy was drinking warm beer, but it was cold this morning. I've just never seen someone pop a beer can open and pour it into a coffee maker to warm it up.

Only issue I have now is a little fender well rubbing. I'll take care of that when I'm not lazy. I drove on the Strip home and at a light, there was a guy and his wife also in a Commander. We sat there at the light just staring at each others Commanders. It's amazing how much taller it is now. It's roughly 5" taller than stock.

2" Rough Country lift
1.5" wheel spacers
265/70/R17 Yokohama Geolanders
Pinch weld mod

There's how it looks now. Just like everyone else's in this forum.

Attachments

·
Registered
58 Posts
Lookin' good. Glad to hear the install went smoothly.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts