Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Chaps, what temp should a CRD reach on the gauge, as mine never gets to the middle of the gauge?

If its not at normal temperature I guess it'd use more fuel.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mines just over a 1/4 on a 17 mile drive!

·
Registered
127 Posts
this is normal - if you're driving on the highway you can get the engine really cool. the commander has a large opening next to the radiator o||||||o and it dose a great job keeping it cool when driving. my other car a VW Passat will always stick to the half mark and never go up or down, the Jeep is about the same position as yours. better cooler than hotter.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
this is normal - if you're driving on the highway you can get the engine really cool. the commander has a large opening next to the radiator o||||||o and it dose a great job keeping it cool when driving. my other car a VW Passat will always stick to the half mark and never go up or down, the Jeep is about the same position as yours. better cooler than hotter.
Lol - yeah i guess the rad is cooled well, just getting to know my Commander, and I've never had a vehicle run so cool. Cheers :)

·
Registered
862 Posts
A diesel should get to full temp to run properly. The 9 liter Caterpillar in my motorcoach runs 188 degrees. (There's an LCD display on the dash) It might rise to 192 on a hard uphill run in summer heat, but it tops out there. The dash gauge just gets somewhere in the middle, and I know where normal is. (The display scans engine params)

I'm assuming your gauge is like my 4.7 gas motor, no numbers, just a meaningless "normal" range. You'd need a thermometer or a Hyperchips programmer running in diagnostics mode to see what it really is. (In real numbers)

I would check it, actually, to see if the thermostat is doing its job. If it is, then you'll know your gauge is showing a normal reading, regardless of where the needle lands. A diesel shouldn't cool down, unless it's really cold out and it's idling for hours. (Sometimes they'll lose heat even with a closed 'stat) Big trucks have louvers or a snap-on cover in winter mainly to keep it warm when idling. They'll make enough heat when worked.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts