Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my family and i r going to the obx in september and i was just woundering what u guys bring when outon the beach. Do u guys air down and to what psi? Is there anything else that i need to do like put the jeep in 4low. Any suggestions would be great thanks

·
Registered
228 Posts
Airing down is a must!!!
For the last 2 years, when i went out to play in the desert (arizona). I never aired down. I didn't have a portable compressor to air back up. I bought one (viair 400P, love it).
Next time i went out aired down to 20 psi.... Night-and-day difference!!! Traction was excellent, the ride was WAY smoother!! I don't know why i didn't do this before!!
I noticed the 4wd activating less (i have QT2). I doubt you'll need 4low. But it's nice to have, just-in-case.
I have 265/70/17 GY Silent armour tires, I've aired them down to 15psi once.... my opinion, 20psi is great. 15 is a little too "squishy".
Oh! and I would get the mopar rubber tray/mat thingy that goes in the back, so you don't get sand in-between the seats, I want to get one myself. anywho. have fun out there!

·
Registered
193 Posts
Definately air down. If you can, bring a small shovel with you. Depending on your off-road experience and the type of sand it is, you just might need it.

When driving in the sand, just remember to keep your momentum up. If you feel the Commander start to feel a bit sluggish, just give it a bit more gas to get a feel for how much it will take. I took the our XK to wickenburg, AZ and they have some pretty soft, loose sand in their washes (known as 'sugar sand' for it's texture). The Hemi QDII did great, and I never felt like I was going to get stuck. I never had to put it in 4Lo.

*If you DO get stuck, don't try to blast the tires, as you will just dig holes. Slowly back up, and try to regain your forward momentum.*

HAVE A BLAST!!

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
All my offroading is on Sand Dunes, very soft sand.

Things to take with you:

1- Good tow strap
2- Shovel, the bigger the better .. I manage with one small folded one.
3- Air Jack is a good idea. ( it helped me several times where there was not other trucks with me)

As the other said, moment is the key. turn off the ESP by pressing the ESP button for some seconds till you get "ESP OFF" message in the screen.

keep your gear limited to 3 or 2, and shift it down to 1 when needed.

You can use 4low when you bog down a little.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Also, bring a 2'-3' length of 1"x6" or 2"x6". A little easier than having to dig so much. Clear out some of the sand in front of the most sunk tire and slip the board in front to help you drive out...

Good luck, and have fun!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks guys for the info didnt think about the boards have to make sure i put those in there thanks

·
Registered
321 Posts
high lift, jack plate, sand ladders (may have to fabricate those - about what you would use the boards for but more traction), d-rings, two tow straps (give the other vehicle more reach), a "dune" flag if you can find one (so you can be seen close to the crest of the dune), good set of leather gloves, tire gauge, portable compressor

if it is soft sand, air down to 18-20 PSI. if hard packed or good substrate then not. always pack food and water.

·
Registered
75 Posts
obx

To add to this, make sure you check all maps for the OBX for various closings. You don't want to end up in an area that is off-limits and receive a fine. Also, if for whatever reason you find that you start to sink your tires and you don't have a board to help gain traction. If you have mud-mats in your commander, you can clear out the sand either in front or behind the tire (depending on the direction you want to try to move too) and place the mats in that direction. I did this with my wife's Grand Cherokee and it worked like a charm!

Now, I have to admit, I went out unprepared and haven't ever done so since. Have a great time down there and take lots of pics.

·
Banned
1,397 Posts
Ahmed,

Did you notice how badly your rocker panel is flexing in that picture with the airbag lift? Did it go back to normal or stay bent? I'm guessing that's just plastic, right?

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
TR4Runner said:
Ahmed,

Did you notice how badly your rocker panel is flexing in that picture with the airbag lift? Did it go back to normal or stay bent? I'm guessing that's just plastic, right?
I thought it got damaged while the airjack was inflated, but after deflating it, the rocker stretched back to almost same shape with some help by hands. the pic below is after that trip, Can you notice anything?

·
Banned
1,397 Posts
It looks pretty straight in that picture, but maybe just a bit pinched in the middle. If you didn't tell me, I would have never noticed though...

It doesn't look like you have many rocks out there, otherwise I would recommend a set of sliders to stop that from happening again.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
salamander said:
rocker looks fine to me.

on a side note, i always enjoy your photos. that red sand there and color of the sky is stunning to me.

TR4Runner said:
It looks pretty straight in that picture, but maybe just a bit pinched in the middle. If you didn't tell me, I would have never noticed though...

It doesn't look like you have many rocks out there, otherwise I would recommend a set of sliders to stop that from happening again.
You are correct, you can notice it only if you look very carefully at it on from soft distance.

There are rocky areas,,,, but I don't like to go to such areas.. I just enjoys the golden sand dunes,,, fascinating :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts