Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm about to buy a 4x4 truck, and i'm getting all the info on the net. My first choice is a jeep commander, but can somebody tell me if its bigger than the Chevy trailblazer or the Ford explorer, and why I should buy the commander over those two.....Thanks:)

·
Registered
275 Posts
Re: Need advice on commander

For me, I know Jeep is a solid product. Here's a few reasons,
Jeep Heritage,
Jeep's 4 WD dependability.
For us, Chevy or Ford wasn't even an option, we were going for maybe a new Grand Cherokee, we drove the Commander and it was settled. I've been a Chevy head all my life, had a 74 mopar. All Jeep now.
I suggest you visit the dealers and check them all out, you will see the quality difference,(my two cents)
We have three Jeeps.

·
Registered
114 Posts

Slap, the commander is actually 3-4 inches shorter than the Explorer and maybe a tiny bit taller. It photographs big but drives smaller, I'd say.

I bought my Commander after doing the research you're doing not because I wanted 7 seats in a Jeep (we have a Honda Pilot for that), but because of the timeless look of the Comm v. the now-dated look of the Explorer, among many other things.

I'd characterize the Comm as more off-road capable, certainly than the Explorer, which I also enjoyed test driving. When I talk offroad, I'm talking up-north Michigan two tracks and sand roads, not super gnarly Moab stuff, btw.

Commo
Dearborn, MI

·
Registered
77 Posts

While I was "in between" cars and waiting for my Commander, I had a new Explorer and drove 4 h. The seats were uncomfortable! The weekend after I got my Commander, I drove to the same location and the seats were great. This is subjective and short of renting a Hertz Explorer difficult to check out for yourself, as I was just lucky with the Jeep, but I thought I throw this info at you for what its worth :)

·
Registered
124 Posts

I think that the 5.7l Hemi and Quadra Drive II are reason enough NOT to get an entry / mid level Ford or Chevy over a top of the line Jeep. $ for $, you may prefer the "larger" Expedition / Yukon / etc. I chose the Commander over a new Grand Cherokee just for the looks, knowing the rear seats are cosmetic only. Other than that, I never considered a different brand 'cause its a Jeep thing.

·
Registered
6 Posts

I have driven the Chevy Trailblazer and was not impressed. I felt stuffed in even though I am only 5'9" and just did not feel comfortable in the driver seat. As for the Explorer, they do drive nice and they are comfortable, but having worked in the Service Dept of a car dealership and seeing the problems, I will NEVER buy a Ford product. Jeeps have there issues too, but nothing as serious as some of the gremlins I witnessed in the Fords.

Just my $0.02

·
Registered
170 Posts

I've always been a Ford guy. So I cant tell you why you should buy a Jeep over a Chevy trailblazer because I would never even consider a Chevy. I do, however, have a soft spot in my heart for Jeeps. My wife has decided she wants an SUV..unfortunately, for Ford, they dont have anything my wifes wants. I drove a new Explorer the other day and I gotta say that the 2006 Explorer is a vast improvement over the past units. Its now got real power and some cool technology to prop it up. I would love for my wife to get one but she says it makes her feel "old". Theres no real "sizzle: to the Explorer. The Trailblazer....EEEWWW. Thats about all I can say about that.
We drove a Commander twice today...Whats not to like about the Jeep over the Chevy and Ford? It may be a little bit bigger, alot more powerfull, has WAY WAY WAY more cool techy stuff, in the Limited trim....way more features than the Explorer in Limited trim, by the way. Its got a huge bank for the buck factor from what I can tell.

You probably already have by now..but go drive all 3..the reasons why you should buy the Jeep over Ford or Chevy will slap you right in the face. You'll see the light.

·
Registered
22 Posts

If you want a real 4wd, room for 7 and drive it in the city then go with the Commander. Like they say it's a Jeep thing...

·
Registered
58 Posts

Look into my eyes :eek: - buy the Commander. Trailblazers suck- Ford Explorers are for whimps - buy the Commander. :eek: When I snap my fingers you will go to the nearest Jeep Dealership and buy you Commander. SNAP

·
Registered
36 Posts

I have the commander 5.7 Quadra Trac and my boyfriend has a Chevy trailblazer. Every time he leaves the house is jumps in my Jeep!

·
Registered
32 Posts

I did lots of research, I think Chrysler group has much better quality thasn chevy(ack!) or Ford. The Mercedese group did them good.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I can't really comment on the "Trailblaizer" and "Explorer" as they are not regular import's into South Africa, however, the Commander is. I use to be a Landrover Discovery man.... ashamed to say..... however in June of 2004 I witnessed 30 4x4 vehicles tryibg to climb steep rocky (Loose) mountain, all the vehicles had to approach the mountain at a reletive high speed...except one....A Jeep Grand Cherokee with Quadra drive I...we all laught at it's crawling speed....but was eventually struk with Awe....this Jeep slowly crawled up the mountain, silencing the crowed... I was a converted man and yearning for a Jeep....In 2006 June I was one of the first 10 buyers of the commander in South Africa. This has been my best buy ever and monthly on our 4x4 trip's into the Bushveld me and my Jeep continue to conquer the other brands....

·
Super Moderator
15,103 Posts
Tzeep, are you familiar with this Jeep. It is in South Africa. If you are can you give us any information on the custom bumpers ?

·
Registered
127 Posts
I traded in my 02 Trailblazer for my 07 Jeep Commander Limited. The Trailblazer is a nice vehicle and served me well. I live in New England and felt the Trailblazer was pushed to the limit during our snowy winter months. Thus the reason for a vehicle that is built to be pushed when mother nature is at its worst. I never owned a Jeep before this one, mostly Chevy's. I also like the look of something a bit different. I thought the Trailblazer was being phased out and being replaced by the three row GMC Arcadia/Saturn/Chevy.
You can't beat the deals on Jeeps right now. Good luck

·
Registered
190 Posts
I can't bash Ford as I grew up in a Ford family and have carried on the family tradition with an F-150. My mom has one of the original Explorers (circa 1991) and it still runs well. My wife and I looked at the Explorers, but one of the big things for my wife was having a full size spare. The Explorers and Trailblazers have donuts for spares.

·
Banned
1,397 Posts
Tzeep, are you familiar with this Jeep. It is in South Africa. If you are can you give us any information on the custom bumpers ?

Wow, that looks awesome. Looks like the fabricator of that bumper went to great lengths to integrate it into the stock fender flares. Overall, it looks like an excellent package all around.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Most of the vehicles I have owned have been Fords. Never again. They have too many problems.
I had a Trailblazer as a rental once - it was nice, however I felt the interior was cheaply put together and just had me saying "Meh..". It rates well as a nice minivan crossover. If I ever go back to GM products it would be for a Tahoe or Avalanche, pending construction of a larger garage of course.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Ok, I'll keep it short on my ".02," I've owned them all, Explorer, Trailblazer and now a Jeep Commander. Go Commander. It's the most capable 4 wheel drive vehicle, seats 7 and is the most comfortable vehicle I've ever owned. You won't be sorry.

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
I wonder what he bought 3 years ago?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts